X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Questions to Americans

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ah, thanks for all the help, you guys are being great.

In your honest opinions, what were the last two years of high school like? Did you actually have to work much, or was it pretty much lazing about/partying? Also, when you graduate, is it either graduating or not graduating, or are there different grades of graduation, like A, B, C, according to how well you do?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions,
    Jonny

[/ QUOTE ]

No a High School Diploma is simply that what determines your college placement is your Grade Point Average (and SAT scores) but diploma's are all equal.

Just a question you should have an upper curve on the education aspect why not go to college and get a degree in music... If you work hard enough you should easily get into a good school

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, it's very hard to explain, but I want to be education free as soon as I hit 18, and unless I'm learning something I feel I will find useful for the next two years, I don't see the point on me learning at all, and should just study myself.

Comment

no they exceed all expectations. newport and huntington beach rock hard, all year round. i'll never leave, and believe me, i had fun growing up in new york, but this place is home for the last 14-15 years. it is simply the best place on the planet fuzz, make your way here and see if you ever leave.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

So, any particular advantage/preference between Huntington/Newport/Laguna? Any better than any others?

Also, from a legal perspective, If I'm over with a friend, will we legally have to live with an adult. (We will both be over 16).

Comment

Jonny,

I grew up in northern CA, graduated in '93. I went to two wonderful high schools and was on the college prep course the whole ride. I took classes at the local junior college also (yeah, so I was a nerd).
          I had quite a load- 6 classes and two college classes. All six of my classes at the high school were college prep classes (took foreign language and biological/zoological sciences at the college). It was INTENSE to say the least.

You are graded A,B,C and each grade is awarded a point. You have to have a certain grade point average to graduate and a certain number of points. Things may have changed since then, but I doubt it. It is not just a pass/fail kinda thing.

Yes, depending on where you live makes all the difference. The lower class neighborhoods may offer less opportunities than higher class neighborhoods. More money- more funding.

Honestly, in my opinion, I think that American high schools in general are very good but much of that depends on the student and their family. You can choose which classes you want to take and can steer yourself in a more challenging direction if you put forth the effort.

I had a reasonable amount of homework and projects, but still had time to party and have a good time with my buddies. If I had lazed around I probably would have still graduated but my college opportunities would have been shot all to hell.

I hope this helps some. Goodluck bro!! Welcome! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Emmy

Comment

P.S. I dunno about the legality issue... I would say you would need a guardian during your stay. I doubt that you will make it through customs alone without an adult.
            I would definitely look into that before packing it up and shipping over.

Also... you cannot register to attend school without an adult if you are underage.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              So, any particular advantage/preference between Huntington/Newport/Laguna? Any better than any others?

Also, from a legal perspective, If I'm over with a friend, will we legally have to live with an adult. (We will both be over 16).

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know , i'm only 13.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Takes these statements as you wish, they aren't meant to make you mad or insult you, but to make you think.

1) Pre-college-level schools in the US are far behind the rest of the world. California High schools are ranked dead last in the nation. However, since you don't appear to be a scholar, you may not even notice.

2) Your attitude towards higher education clearly indicates that you need some. Think about it. I can understand that you are anxious to start doing things you'll like and are saying "what do I need this for" a lot now. We all do. But you will have plenty of time a little later in life. Tough it out, finish high school, and go to college. Even if it is just in something like Liberal Arts or a language. You will regret it later if you don't. And I hope you intend to have a half decent job at some point in life. Good luck with that without a college degree.

3) You will likely not be able to enter the US without at least one parent/guardian with you. Even if you do, without a visa you cannot stay longer than 6 months. If you violate this policy and get caught, you may never be allowed to return.

Em, unless you've attended school in other countries, how can you say American schools are great without having something to compare to? (And yes, I went to school in another country.)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Em, unless you've attended school in other countries, how can you say American schools are great without having something to compare to? (And yes, I went to school in another country.)

[/ QUOTE ]

One does not need to attend a school in another country just to know that the schools they attended in their own country were fantastic. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Takes these statements as you wish, they aren't meant to make you mad or insult you, but to make you think.

And I hope you intend to have a half decent job at some point in life. Good luck with that without a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this DID make me think... made me think that this last statement is [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img].

I didn't go to college, and I have a MORE than halfway decent job. I'm eligible to retire in a year and if I do, will receive half of my base pay as retirement pay. For each year I go over 20 years, I receive 2.5% more. I have healthcare the rest of my life, other benefits too numerous to list, not to mention a survivor's benefit plan for my wife so she would continue to receive my retirement pay when I pass away. Plus, $300K in whole life insurance that I can choose to keep with the minimal premium I pay now (what do you think a 40 year old would pay for new policy?).

Not everyone has gone or will go to college and to tell them they'll never get a good paying job is pure BS. Sounds like a "college graduate holier than thou" attitude if you think so. [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

BTW, buddyfuzz, whatever your decision, the best of luck to ya. College is a great choice, if that's what you truly want.
                    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I grew up in SO.CAL Beleive me when I tell you young bucks like yourself and your buddy dont come to Cali to go to school. You will get an education but it will be by some hot tan babe [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] and if you do go home you will be smilin.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So no one is allowed to have a valid opinion unless they're like you and went to other schools in other countries [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]? OK, whatever.

Comment

Just to counter what some are saying, I went to highschool with a guy who was fresh from england. He came in and immediately went into remedial math.

Comment

American schools sucked 20 years ago, and that was BEFORE they started dumbing-down the academic standards to make room for the lazy bastards that they bussed out to the suburbs from the inner city. I watched it all happen first-hand as a suburban kid in a suburban school district. I also suffered under the archaic tuteledge of certified educators who could not pass the same tests they were serving up for the material they were certified to teach.
                            Don't come to America to finish High School, because chances are you'll know more about it than the teachers, and being a certified genius under the guidance of the mentally incompetent is ass-backwards, but it's the American Education Standard.

As for the academic makeup of high school, the average program for 11th and 12th grades are basically recaps of the previous 10 years with some courses that are advanced extenstions of everything from the past (i.e. Algebra becomes Calculus, etc), while 12th Grade (Senior year) is basically prepping for College or whatever you'll be doing for the next 40 years (working in your uncle's body shop, working in a factory, or dealing in ass or drugs). The majority of the education for the "real jobs" that pay "real money" are reserved for those who are financially priveledged enough to attend any of our established and pricey Universities. There are no "under 18" colleges in America unless you are proven to be a prodigy, and then the workload placed on you is so intense that you suffer a mental breakdown before your 21st birthday.

Personally, it's all well and good to go to College to study something you like, but at the end of the day if it isn't paying anything, then you've pretty much wasted your time and money on a degree that means nothing. Money can't buy happiness, but it buys all the other stuff that you'll need in life, like food. If you're going to get a degree in something, make sure there's going to be an immediate demand for it upon your graduation, or else you'll just be the smartest person working at the local McDonald's.

And in case Tommy's description wasn't clear enough, Laguna Beach is predominantly homosexual men. If you're planning on going there to find chicks, there are none.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Em, I take it you're talking about extra curricular activities... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Mark, first of all, what is defined as a good job varies from person to person. Second, I'm not a college snob and don't have a holier-than-thou attitude like you think. In fact, while I was accepted to MIT, you would never have heard of the college that I chose to attend. While I completed the program (3 year program), the result was not a bachelor's degree, but as soon as I stepped foot into the US, a highly reputable school granted me a bachelor's on the basis that the school I attended had much higher standards than any US university (their words, not mine).

Hotrod, I really don't see how you can say that based on what I wrote. I respect everyone's opinion. I asked Em a valid unemotional question, which she understood and answered.

Interesting discussion!

Comment

Yes, Jeff. I agree (if I am catching your point, here). Extra-curricular activities can certainly enhance (or inhibit I suppose) your learning experiences. And yes, I took your question in the spirit of which it was asked. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know that many American schools fall wicked short of spectacular, I happened to be lucky.
                                But I also know that there are countries in this world that have absolutely nothing compared to what we in the States have (or the UK or Italy or China... bigger power countries). We are fortunate.
                                Anyway, I'm pleased for the most part with the school systems I have been involved with and that my kids have been enrolled in. I just had a conference with my daughter's 2nd grade teacher and the skills that kids these days are expected to master at a certain age are mind-blowing compared to what I had to know at the same age!

Everyone is going to have an opinion based on their own unique experience, yes. One of the great things about this country is that education is not the same across the board. It allows for people to fit in where they can. That may sound rude, but to me it stands to reason. Some people excel in certain areas more than others. Going to a school that excels mainly in metal shop is no different or better than a school that excels in the sciences. Everything has its place.
                                The thing that I notice (being a parent) is that it is absolutely crucial to get involved in your kid's education. I don't mean barging in and sticking your nose in and causing major embarrassment, but rather, being aware and familiar with the curriculum and in communication with teachers. I'm no PTA Mom (I'd rather poke my eyes out with a pen), but the fact of the matter is, there are so many kids and not enough teachers. Teachers are slacking in a major way in many schools. Parents are either so afraid of getting arrested or are just plain dumbasses that they don't discipline their children. Discipline being more than just teaching appropriate behavior, but also skills on how to focus and be successful.

GOD! What a freakin' RANT!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                I'll shut up in a second. Pardon me.

It's just that education is so important to me, however you choose to acquire it. If you are interested in learning something then I think you should embrace it. There are plenty of valuable and honest-to-good schools in our country. There are kickass ones in other countries too. Education is education. Ultimately it is up to the individual, not the Institution.

Ciao,
                                Emmy

Comment

Working...
                                X