help me pick a motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me pick a motorcycle

I'm thinking about getting a bike this year. It'll have to be used. I'm partial towards cruisers like a V-Max but wouldn't necessarily rule out a sport bike. Any suggestions? I have no previous riding experience. I'd really like to land a Ducatti but think I can't afford even a used one.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Re: help me pick a motorcycle

Since your new to riding, I'd recommend a Honda Shadow 600 or other similar cruiser. Sportbike, an early to mid 90's 600cc sportbike will be more than fast enough to get you started. Look into a Honda CBR 600 F2 or F3, Yamaha YZF600, Kawasaki ZX-6E or ZX-6R Ninja or Suzuki GSX-R600 or Katana 600

Comment

With no previous experience I would stay away from any sport bike. Super strong brakes, twitchy quick steering, and alot of power spell disaster for a beginner.

The cruisers. Heavy, slow steering, and very unstable at extremely slow speeds. Again problem for beginners.

Take a look at the Dualsport bikes from Honda, Suzuki, and KTM. Very affordable, great on gas, extremely stable riding platform. Plus they have the lowest insurance premiums of all bikes.
      I have had several friends fail the riding test because of their lack of skill with their sport and cruiser bikes. I let them borrow my old Yamaha XT 350 and they passed in flying colors.

These are just our opinions. Go to your local cycle shop sit on all of the different bikes get a feel for what fits you best. Don't let your ego or the saleman talk you into a bike that's way above your skill level. This is your first learn on it safely then move up.

After you get your bike take the Motorcycle safety course. You'll learn things there that will save your life. Plus your get a dicount from most insurance companies if you have taken the class.

Comment

Take the 2 day msf training course. Not only will learn how to ride and be safe, you may also get a break on your insurance.

msf home page
        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Thanks for the inout guys. I've been cruising some websites. The Buell Blast looks cool and it's affordable new. It's got an itty bitty gas tank though. The small Hondas look promising too. The Harley VRSCA looks awesome! Alas it is far too expensive.
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

The Buell Blasts are great first bikes, Same with the Suzuki SZ650's
            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I rode a Blast and it felt like a mini bike. I think if he bought that, he'd outgrow it the first season. Now on the other hand, the Vmax and Vrsc are not beginner bikes, and neither are 600 sport bikes. A nice 450-750 cruiser would be a nice bike to begin riding with. You sit low and at a stop your feet are planted firmly on the ground, not hunched over and tippy toed like on a crotch rocket. Just my opinion.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Suzuki SV 650. Buy a used one. The re-sale is excellent and they are great bikes that you won't out grow in a year. They are inexpensive to fix when you drop it (and you will), and they go, stop, and turn better than most entry level cruisers. There is also a nealthy aftermarket for it. Great bike.

Comment

I would suggest nothing smaller than a 750. Just dont crack up.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I would suggest nothing smaller than a 750. Just dont crack up.

[/ QUOTE ]this is the absolute worst thing you could do. goto sportbikes.net to the new rider forums and ask around.
                    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

My first one was a Honda Spirit 750 and it was plenty enough for me. Take everyone's advice and take a safety course. After a year or so experience, you can graduate to a bigger bike. As you can see in my avatar, I did the same.

Please make sure you are comfortable with the bike b/c it will not be any fun if you are not around to enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                      X