Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston, MA info request

Guys,

My wife and I are coming over to Boston on Thursday and we're staying in the downtown (Hotel Wyndham?).

We're only in town until Tuesday Night, so we don't want to waste time and I'd appreciate any info on things to see, decent bars / restuarants etc. I've managed to convince the wife that we need to hire a car for a few days (so I can get to Matt's Music!) so any info on stuff to see out of town would also be cool....

Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Boston, MA info request

Ian,
    If you in downtown Boston there is no shortage of bars, resturants and entertainment there..everything is pretty localized..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Ian,

When I was there a year or more ago, I ate at this little place next door to a Dunkin Donuts that was next to the convention center or seperated by water there, a short bridge, I don't recall the name, but man, it was KILLER and reasonable I believe. It was right on the water there and you could sit outside.

Maybe one of the locals, (Kevin) can tell us the name?

Have fun!

Pat

Comment

I recommend Hilltop Steakhouse. Theres two of them, both right outside of Boston, but less than a 10 minute drive. Not the best steaks in the world, but a worthy experience non the less.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I have lived on Cape Cod for 8 years now (soon to be moving back to CA) and every time we are in Boston we go to The Union Oyster House for lunch. Great oysters,the wife likes the JFK booth and its the oldest restaurant in America.

Comment

Hiltop is an excellent source for steaks. I've never been to the oyster house but it is a very well known place and has been featured on local tv due to its history ..
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Wow Ian you are visiting an awesome place with so much to see it is crazy.If you like Seafood a trip to Legal Seafood in Cambridge Center is a must.And you have to find your way to the North end for some amazing Italian food.The Museum of Science is fun,NE Aquarium,some great Irish Pubs like The Plough and Stars.And so much history you would wear yourself out trying to see it all...Old North Church and such.And of course Matts Music in Weymouth (He will do an accurate rendition of Paul Revere's Lantern speech I am sure [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])Anyway like Kev said the city is so rich you can go in any direction and find something cool,hope you enjoy your trip [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

No offense to the Hilltop fans here, but if you are in the city there are a number of great steak places (not to mention any numbers of unreal places to eat) that put Hilltop to shame. Actually, the Hilltop should not even be mentioned at all - sorry fans. The guy is coming in from another country, don't point him in the direction of such pedestrian fare! (not to mention a very average place to dine) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here are some great places to eat that you will tell the folks about when you get back home:
                --All of these are in Boston--
                Capital Grill
                647 Tremont
                Kingfish (in Faneuil Hall so it is a great location as well)
                The Pomodoro (in the North End)
                Grill 23
                The Helmond (this one is in Cambridge, but unreal Afgani food)
                Abe & Louis

Give on e of those a try (bring your wallet as well as good food isn't cheap).

JK

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Wow Ian you are visiting an awesome place with so much to see it is crazy.If you like Seafood a trip to Legal Seafood in Cambridge Center is a must.And you have to find your way to the North end for some amazing Italian food.The Museum of Science is fun,NE Aquarium,some great Irish Pubs like The Plough and Stars.And so much history you would wear yourself out trying to see it all...Old North Church and such.And of course Matts Music in Weymouth (He will do an accurate rendition of Paul Revere's Lantern speech I am sure [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])Anyway like Kev said the city is so rich you can go in any direction and find something cool,hope you enjoy your trip [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
                  All excellent choices [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

If you want to give the Italian fare in the North End a try Lucia Ristorante on 415 Hanover Street is one of the best there IMO.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

And if you feel like taking a short ride on the T and get some of the best BBQ then head to Somerville and hit Red Bones. That place is killer. Small and always mobbed. But the food can't be beat.
                      We must!
                      We must!
                      We must increase the bust!
                      The bigger the better!
                      The tighter the sweater!
                      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Red Bones kicks - you won't get food like that in the UK!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Give on e of those a try (bring your wallet as well as good food isn't cheap).

JK

[/ QUOTE ]

See, at that point, I'll just stay home and go to Luger's. What I like about Hilltop is the atmosphere - the giant plastic cows on the lawn, the big old Texas style signs, the complete history of the restaurant on the menu... you don't always get that the higher-end steak and chop houses. Anyway, that's more memorable to me that a porterhouse at Smith and Wollensky's or Capitol.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys: I always like to get some recomendations so I feel like I know what I'm looking to look out for when I go somewhere new....

If only Matt's music did food and accomodation, I'd try to convince the wife that we should stay there! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Most of the good stuff has already been mentioned.. but just a few more off the top of my head:

-Museum of Fine Arts; biggest Monet collection in the world and tons of other great stuff to see if that's your thing.
                              -You can catch a Boston Red Sox game
                              -Top of the Hub restaurant, amazing view
                              -Duck Tours; a bus/boat tour that drive you around Boston, then goes in the water.. never been but seems to be the most liked and popular tour here.

Comment

Working...
                              X