Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording, what way is the best in terms of ease..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recording, what way is the best in terms of ease..

[ QUOTE ]
    Well the cool edit pro I got is password protected...I wish people wouldn't upload bullshit torrents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The former Cool Edit Pro (which I have) is now Adobe Audition. I have an older version.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Re: Recording, what way is the best in terms of ea

[ QUOTE ]
      My setup is:

Guitar into POD 2.0 into PC

1. Record a track using Total Recorder (Shareware)

2. Clean up the track using Goldwave (Shareware)
      That is, remove the noise at the beginning between clicking Record and actually starting to play, set the volume, etc...

3. Play back the first track in Goldwave, while playing along and recording the second track in Total Recorder again.

4. Clean up the second track with Goldwave.

You get the idea. Record with Total Recorder, clean up with Goldwave, repeat as necessary.

5. Mix the tracks with Cool Edit Pro

Cool Edit Pro can actually act as the recorder and replace both of the other two programs, but I'm too lazy to get past the learning curve and I'm set in my ways. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I usually "stagger" as I go. Once I mix the first two tracks, I'll save it as a new track and it becomes the one I now play along with to record Track 3, and so on. Just make sure that the mix is really what you want each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could use audacity which is free and does all that [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Recording, what way is the best in terms of ease..

I second the Digidesign MBox, comes with Pro Tools LE, input box and a few other pieces of software for a really good price. You will need a pretty powerful PC to run Pro Tools well, and have a second hard drive to record on, so it doesnt get interupted, and to be able to use plugins etc.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          or you could use audacity which is free and does all that [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember downloading that, but I didn't like it for some reason. I can't remember why now.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Well I got GTP3, and it's being a cock sucking bitch.

Okay, I was using the line in on my sound card to record. I know my soundcard "hears" my guitar right, because I hear it through the speakers.

I go to the GTP3 console, select a track I want to record on, play some crap, hear it through the speakers right, and when I play it back, it sounds like it's about 8 steps lower.

I figured, Maybe there is a setting I'm too stupid to find out.

I then plugged in my mic, and used it as the device to record with. Now I know that my mic works just fine, because I've made just wav files with it before in creative recorder before.

I used it, and guess what, same thing.

I went to the website forums, couldn't find shit out there. I can't really ask for help on a pirated copy from the company, but I may try calling them and acting stupid and not knowing my reg number or something.

Comment

check sampling rates and and bit rates. we took a harddrive into a studio once to mix a project and when they synched to their system our music sounded like it was garbled and tuned octaves lower than it should be. after about 2 hours of frustration (on our coin no less) i mentioned that we recorded the audio at 20 bits and 44.1khz. the studio had their system running 28 bits at 96khz. just cahnged the bit rate and the sampling rate and the project worked out fine.

check the bit/sampling rate on your card and make sure the program is set for the same. that could be the problem.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My advice--if you are looking for quick and dirty recording, avoid your PC at all costs.

There are plenty of cheapo standalone recorders out there now. As Newc said, you can get a used Akai DPS-12 for dirt cheap. I run two of 'em in sync using MIDI. The first one I bought back in '98 at full price, but the second one I got about a year ago for $250, plus the cost of replacing the internal Jaz removable drive (crapola) with a SCSI hard drive. Works well, and I don't have to deal with all of the technical crap that I've had issues with every time I've tried to do audio on the PC.

And if you don't want to deal with an older machine like the DPS-12, I know Boss has a couple of models of 'band in a box' type recorders that give you built-in drums and at least 4 tracks for dirt cheap. I'd say check 'em out.

Comment

It sees my E string as a B, my A as an E, et cetera.

Cake walk has an internal tuner, and it's reading my shit fucked.

Help, I need to master a mix

Comment

Working...
                  X