Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, looks like I´m gonna be out of a Job soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, looks like I´m gonna be out of a Job soon...

No real specifics, but it looks like the product I configure is going out the door, together with a restructurization of the IT department all signs are pointing at me getting "rationalized away" by the end of September, I´m already in negotiations w/ HR....

It sucks, yes. I was one of the founding members of my department, and the entire team is pretty down about it, but I´ll live....I see this as either my downfall or a wonderful boost, depending on how I proceed...I´ve got more than enough time, so if I falter, I´ve only myself to blame...SOO, why not start clearing my head up now....

Essentially, I´m considering what my options are at this point. One of them is coming home / going somewhere else, but w/o a job that´s a bit of a toughie, and it´s not that easy to hunt for jobs stateside from Europe from what I´ve gathered (which I think is strange.....maybe I´m looking in the wrong places?)

I can offer...
    6 years sales experience
    owned and ran 2 businesses
    6 months as a mortician
    1 year building PCs
    2 years in the configuration of medical equipment
    2 1/2 years professional level system/ network administration, aka. L2 User Support,
    10 years on/on and off luthierie experience
    well fundamented knowledge of manufacturing, order Management, Warehousing, replenishment, shipping and quality assurance methods, as well as basic knowledge of Six Sigma and Lean which I also can apply
    Forklift license
    some college.
    And I probably forgot something that someone would find useful...

No problems w/ any type of work, as long as the pay is right. Ex.: Have seriously considered 6 months on an oil rig.....
    Fluent in english and German (mother Tongue), basic Spanish

Degrees: High school Diploma / Abitur (herin lies my largest problem) :saeek:

The main issue is: most jobs I can get bore me to death and are well under what I know I can do. But for Jobs that would be mildly challenging and interesting, I don´t have the "necessary" degrees.... :/

Any ideas or thoughts that anyone has are welcome

Re: Well, looks like I´m gonna be out of a Job soon...

ehhh...it could be a blessing in disguise..

Man , it seems that everyone is out of a job at the moment...its an epidemic.. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Re: Well, looks like I´m gonna be out of a Job soo

Good luck, I hope it all works out for the best.
      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Zerberus - what do you WANT to do?
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

That´s kind of a bit óf the issue, I´m not 100% sure myself....But the only thing holding me in Germany is Infinite Ending, so essentially I WANT to come home to the US and if at all possible keep/restart building guitars [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Man , it seems that everyone is out of a job at the moment...its an epidemic.. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As we know, the economy is in a delicate situation at this time and may not become clearly defined for perhaps a few years. It is a "false" economy. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Looks like you have good qualifications . You will be OK whatever you do .

Good Luck
              Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Hey Zerb, if you want to build guitars then do it, just follow your heart. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Best of luck! My wife is losing her job too, I know what it's like

Comment

Wow dude, that sucks. I've been out of a job for a few months, but I'm going back to school soon. Anywhere you go it'll be a little hard to find a job, but you have some great work experience there. I don't know that you'll be able to support yourself just making guitars (impossible for my friends at least, better luck for you if you decide to persue it) but you should at least give it a shot. Never know what could be if ya don't take a risk (corny as hell but true). Good luck to you dude

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      That´s kind of a bit óf the issue, I´m not 100% sure myself....But the only thing holding me in Germany is Infinite Ending, so essentially I WANT to come home to the US and if at all possible keep/restart building guitars [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

When did you relocate to Germany? You have Abitur, so I guess you've been here for quite a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      What about going to university and making a diploma now? Better late than never I'd say... but then again, it may cost you a shitload of money soon, and you'd have to have at least a somewhat specific goal. If all else fails, marry a rich woman. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mortician.... WOW

An Oil rig is high risk... You won't be bored though...

Get a lock on what you want to do first you ahve the ability to take some time off? How much time before your department closes?
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The best advice I can give you is to tailor your resume toward a specific job. You don't want to appear as a "Jack of all Trades." (Aren't we all?) You want to only mention skills and experiences applicable to the job you're after.
                          Potential employers will be scared away if they think, "Hmmmm.... This guy can do too many things and he won't stay here long."

Good luck!
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

At United Airlines they call it "Lean".
                            Outsorce everything and anybody that doesn't make money for them. Get rid of all pensions. Reduce wages, get rig of the ESOP, reduce 401ks, and give the big shots bonuses.
                            Good luck to ya, and NEVER WORK FOR AN AIRLINE !!
                            Finn

Comment

Wow Zerb... that sure is a lot to think on. Wish I had some ideas for you, I wish you the best in whatever the outcome is to be.
                              Dunno what your citizenship is or how old you are, but you could always join the military! I believe the Guards are now taking 39 year olds (cutoff). I can guarantee you will NOT be bored. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Goodluck, bro. I think that you could very well do whatever you put your mind to. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Working...
                              X