replacing a crazy car part tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a crazy car part tomorrow!

My car failed inspection yesterday. I drive a Honda Civic. I guess there is this bushing on a control arm, that goes bad and fails you...I've got to replace it.

I know where it's at, and I've got the part to fix it. Let's hope I know what I'm doing...because I've got a feeling that once it's coming apart, I may have to have a mechanic fix the mess!

Re: replacing a crazy car part tomorrow!

Lower control arm?

Be aware it likely has the perssure of the strut on it, and that is considerable force. That could be a lot to handle without a lift and stands. On the ground, it will be a PITA if not impossible to do for the un-inclined.

Comment

Unless you're driving a new car with a warranty, or you've got a family member who's a good and willing mechanic, it's a good idea to scope your local auto parts store to get the Chilton's repair manual for what you drive. Reading through it *before* you have a problem also wouldn't hurt.
      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

WTF? Since when do they inspect the cars bushings too?
        I can understand the emissions thing, but they start checking shocks, alignment, stuff like that too?

Do they fail you for an engine leak or fuzzy dice blocking your vision? Man, that's tough!

Let me know what state/country you're in so I can stay away.

Sorry you are having to do that.
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Unfortunately, knowing how it is assembled isn't just the issue.

Suspension parts are assembled very tightly to high foot pounds of torque, not to mentions just rusted together, and the stuff can be a real bummer, if not impossible to get apart with hand tools. My guys tear that stuff all apart every day. And they have troubles sometimes, and thats on lifts, with an arsenal of tools, of heavy air impacts, and torches.

Just be aware, and well, have the car where a tow truck can get to it from the front just in case! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah I guess I've got to break away the rocker arm, and some other shit. The guy said if you take your time, you should be able to figure it out in an afternoon. I'm giving myself from 11AM-430PM. Hopefully I can get it done right. I've got some anti-sieze to spray on some shit, and a variety of sockets and rachets from 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch. I've also got a very limited selection of 1/2 inch rachet/sockets too. I plan on jacking it up and putting it on jack stands, and possibly something else too just incase the stands go through.

Worst comes to worst, I'll have it towed and done by a professional.

The strange thing is, some hot biotch I'm buying 17 inch wheels from was saying the same thing about the Chilton books, and she's a biotch! Let's just hope the fucking thing doesn't fall on me.

Comment

I think it's cool they do a thorough safety inspection. I'm sick of seeing hoopty cars with broken tie rods and ball joints going left of center at innocent people because someone doesn't pay attention to their cars safety or just risks something they know is wrong.

I broke a tie rod when I was yound and almost had a head on, scary crap... And so many people ignore their cars to the point of being a hazard to others. I would like them to not do that.

Comment

I don't mind fixing my car at all, and I've got no problem with safety inspections. Driving is a privilage, and you should be safe about it.

At this point, I'm more concerned with the thing falling on my fucking head.

I went to the Honda tech forums, started a thread, and got some answers.

It looks like I'll be taking the LCA off, fucking this old bushing up to get it out, and if I can't get it in, I'll just go to a garage and be like... press this fucker in! They say suspension bolts should be torqued to 47lbs...I think I can do that on my own, but I probably should pick up a torque wrench..since I don't have one.

Comment

Yeah a torque wrench is a good idea. Pressing against a bathroom scale so it reads 47 pounds is NOT a good idea [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One word of advice - whenever you replace one piece that has a twin somewhere (as in left and right sides, or front and back same part), replace them both at the same time rather than wait for the other one to go, because you just never know what's going to happen when the other one DOES need to be replaced (i.e. important career interview RIGHT NOW and you're stuck on a dirt road shortcut with no way to call for help, etc).
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Do they fail you for an engine leak or fuzzy dice blocking your vision? Man, that's tough!

Let me know what state/country you're in so I can stay away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I failed my inspection in Delaware a couple years ago. Wanna know why?
                    You ready for this? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Because I had a smurf playing a guitar hanging from my rear-view mirror! It wasn't like it was stuffed or anything, nope. Just a little 2" smurf action figure hanging from fishing line by his little blue neck.

Fukkin Renobs. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Oh yeah. Smurf Hammett is still there rockin' away. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] They don't care in Texas. If you can put steer horns on your vehicle no one is going to care about some dorky smurf.

Deneb- goodluck with your car. Sounds like a royal pain to me. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Yeah, I thought about replacing both, but the right side is good (we looksied at it!) I corner REALLY hard on the left, so it's only reasonable.

I would like my car to last me until I'm 25 (I'm 23 in June) then it's a new Honda or Acura.

Full coverage is bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X