Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Simple Computer (software) Problem, PLEASE help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Simple Computer (software) Problem, PLEASE help.

GRRRR!

My computer is a Laptop, that runs Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

I have have lots and lots of pictures of guitars saved from ebay auctions, for later browsing when I want some eye candy, and I was getting my pictures file organized, Ive got it nice and cleaned up, but Ive run into a problem:

There are certain FOLDERS that I created to house groups of pictures, and now when I try to delete, rename, or move them, a warning error box pops up and it says "Cannot Delete [folder name]: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

This is rediculous. I am the only user of this computer, and there is only 1 master login account, Me, the Administrator. But I cant delete this file! I created it, NO other program could possibly be using it. How on earth do I get command over these rebel folders?

Thanks!

Re: A Simple Computer (software) Problem, PLEASE h

did u try rebooting?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Thats the only thing I DIDNT think of.

It worked for most of the files. I think a couple more reboots will have everything cleaned out.

Thanks.

Comment

If you right click on your task bar and bring up the task manager, then click Show processes from all users, those are all the programs running on your computer. Any one of them could "potentially" have a lock on your folders, but this would be highly unusual.

If a single reboot didn't clear up the problem, I would highly recommend you run both a virus check and a spyware check immediately.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Fine work George, you definitely got handle on it. You go boooyyy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          Take care.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I get that mostly from Norton or Paint Shop if I try to delete a recently-viewed or recently-scanned file or folder - like the system hasn't released the lock yet (probably in the Recent Files folder).
            It's always good to scan for spyware and such, though.

I run SpybotS&D all the time and it catches a LOT of adware/spyware that comes with ad banners on everything from Ebay to JCF member's avatars. Sometimes it keeps pages from loading properly (not here, but at the Codebreaker Forums and game pages especially - once in a while it'll do it to an Ebay page - it'll say Done at the bottom but there's nothing on the page but the Ebay logo).
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've gotten that message before when trying to delete a folder that was the target for my download manager. In that case, I either rename the folder or change the target of the download manager, then delete.

Comment

Working...
              X