Best Instructional Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Instructional Video

Hey guys, not too sure where this thread should go, so if it's in the wrong place, then sorry [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Which is the best instructional video, i need something that will cover sweep picked arpeggios, string skipping and scales.

Any suggestions?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Best Instructional Video

<font color="yellow">John Pettruci's Rock Discipline video is pretty good, and covers the topics you mentioned.

He also has a book called "Wild Stringdom" which is a textbook example of pure evil [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar is also a great book for technique and sequences. </font>

Comment

Paul Gilbert.
      There are several others by him but I'd say the first one(by Hot Licks?) is a great video for covering all you listed.

Comment

I second Petrucci's Rock Discipline as a good one for the techniques you're describing. Michaelangelo's Speed Kills is also a good video for building up speed picking and sweep picking techniques. He doesn't go into scales so much, plus you'll have to suffer through the 80's clothes and bad jokes. Still a cool instructional, though.

Comment

I'm using Doug Marks' Metal Methods. Seems OK to me. I have not reached the arpeggio type stuff yet...Pretty good so far.

Comment

I second Toru - the first Paul Gilbert video. I think it was called Intense Rock.
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I second Speed Kills... Good price too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I haven't seen Petrucci's yet, been wanting to check it out.

Comment

Ok guys, i just bought Michael Angelos Master Session. thanks for your suggestions, if this one turns out to be bad, i'll look into the others [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I was thinking Eric Johnson's or the Steve Morse one. I also recommend wearing something to catch your jaw when you're watching those dickheads breeze through their licks.

I guess the same can be said for the Gilbert videos.
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Brett garseds latest instructional DVD is very good.As for the old stuff i used to have Joey taffolas REH vid and that has lots of killer cromatic blues licks and open string phrases and cool string skips.Gilberts vids are fun to watch and he is a natural teacher with stupendous licks.Michael lee firkins is anoher cool vid that stands out from the others with his pedal steel whammy bar stylings.Frank Gambale explains MODES realy well in his same titled vid-his economy picking is amazingon that bright yellow Ibanez.Shawn lanes power lines is perhaps too fast to play..lol..and unmusical to my ears but he mixes it all up very well.George Lynch's REH has some cool licks/dimished triads and wide pattern string skipping licks.

Comment

+1 for Petrucci and Gilbert. I have all 3 Gilbert vids, they're not only informative, they're damn entertaining!
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Giblerto's vids are the best, funny dude, but if you want some sick technical improvement, check out Rusty Cooley's Shred Guitar Manifesto.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Three videos: (I've posted something like this in a older thread)
                          1. Paul Gilbert's = Intense Rock...Great stuff.
                          2. Marty Friedman's = Melodic Conrtol...Great stuff.
                          3. Geo Lynch's = Reh video...Great stuff.

Book/s:
                          The Guitar Grimoire "Scales and Modes"...very resourceful.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Best goddamn rock'n'roll instructional video ever:

The Who's "The Kids are Alright"

Comment

ahh man i used to watch that all the time when i was a teenager Keith Moon used to drive his milk floats around my local town when he wasnt nailing trolly dollys or washing his Rolls in the swimming pool at his mansion.I will have to order that on DVD as its sooooooooo funny when they harmonize like the beach boys before cracking up
                              but there are no string skipping licks in it mate!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X