Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A kink here and there, but Anthrax delivers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A kink here and there, but Anthrax delivers....

...the goods (the full title wouldn't fit)

Chicago Sun Times
    May 2, 2005

BY DAVE HOFER

There's a fine line between a band dragged up from rock 'n' roll retirement to make a much-needed buck and a band that has never ceased to exist inviting back old members for a celebration of its past. Though money was probably an incentive, the classic lineup of pioneering metal band Anthrax was in fine form Saturday night at the House of Blues -- and they stayed well on the side of good taste.

Rather than boasting a reunion of all its original members, Anthrax celebrated 20 years as a band simply by gathering together its best lineup for a handful of American dates and a group of festivals in Europe this summer. A breath of fresh air in a scene quickly becoming stale with ham-fisted nu-metal bands -- whose main objective often is to look cool rather than to create interesting music -- Anthrax offered a great reminder as to why its blend of hard-core and thrash metal in the '80s was so important at the time and remains so exciting to this day.

Opening the set was an overly long video history of the band from inception to present day. With some interesting early studio and live footage, the history lesson was bogged down with information about the band's later releases, which was completely beside the point considering the event at hand. With class dismissed, the band tore into "Among the Living," just one of many classic songs they would play throughout the evening.

The members themselves have aged well, which was especially evident in returning vocalist Joey Belladonna. He hit all the crucial notes, and the audience seemed to agree with him when he said it was as if he had never left; they sang along at every chorus. One of the most underrated drummers in metal, Charlie Benante played metronomically and kept the band completely grounded during such scorchers as "A.I.R." and "I Am the Law" despite bursts of speed and some tricky tempo changes.

Thick in the air, though, was a feeling of desperation from the returning members on behalf of Belladonna. Repeated reminders of how happy they were to be onstage again wore thin -- and suggested that past inner-band turmoil still lingered.

With little time between songs, Anthrax played tracks from all of the records on which this lineup appeared, 1985's "Armed and Dangerous" through 1990's "Persistence of Time," including an excellent version of an even older song, "Deathrider." An encore brought a fairly sloppy and uninspired version of the groundbreaking rap/metal hybrid "I'm the Man," which felt out of place.

Though hindered by the feeling that the band needed a quick buck, the reuniting of a classic metal group was an amazing thrill. For those not old enough to catch it the first time around (pre-1992), Anthrax turned the House of Blues stage into a time machine for fans old and new to enjoy.
    Occupy JCF

Re: A kink here and there, but Anthrax delivers....

They are still a mere shadow of what they used to be (IMO)...sorry to all of those here who like the post '92 'Thrax (Em)

This tour may not see it's end, if they can't keep their fuckin' tempers to themselves, and just ride it out.

Comment

It was a great show and I'm glad I've finally gotten my chance to see them after being a huge fan of "State of Euphoria". Anyways here are some of my thoughts....
      Joey is an old guy (he was old when he joined them) and you can tell he's been off the stage for a while...plus he talks a little too much.
      Scott was there trying to take charge of "his" band like usual
      Danny was playing like it was a job...he did not look like he was having much fun at all...
      Frank was crazy all over the stage and gave off a huge amount of energy like always...
      Charlie kicked ass like usual...
      and Keanu Reeves actually headed into the pit and survived....pretty funny seeing him standing next to me....

All in all I'm glad I was there....it was a great time.....way too many people packed into that place though....

- Joel
      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
      RIP Dime

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        way too many people packed into that place though....

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is why I'm not too crazy about the HOB here in Chicago.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Re: A kink here and there, but Anthrax delivers...

Keanu is one bad-ass mofo. Down to earth, cool guy!
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Wonder what John Bush is up to right now? Maybe hanging out with Bruce Kulick?
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Probably spending time with his baby daughter and his sweet wife, Tori. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

the secret to the chicago hob is to bring your ear plugs and stand in front of the speakers to the left of the stage...you can usually get a decent spot there between the opeing act and the main act.

Keanu is filming a movie in Riverside.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  the secret to the chicago hob is to bring your ear plugs and stand in front of the speakers to the left of the stage...you can usually get a decent spot there between the opeing act and the main act.

Keanu is filming a movie in Riverside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the best spot is next to the sound island on either side.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Probably spending time with his baby daughter and his sweet wife, Tori. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Of course, but that logical idea defeats the purpose of the replaced-replacement-members-kvetching joke! Actually though, Kulick is now in Grand Funk Railroad sohe wouldn't be available to kvetch!How 'bout an Armored Saint reunion while the old Anthrax is on tour? They could at least tear up SoCal...
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      How 'bout an Armored Saint reunion while the old Anthrax is on tour? They could at least tear up SoCal...

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be so rad! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X