No announcement yet.

Why are drummers such fucking losers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are drummers such fucking losers?

Yeah, we kinda knew from the start that this guy wasn't going to be around for long, but until last night he seemed to be willing to adapt, and was doing a semi-decent job of filling the hole. The problem is #1 he refuses to play with a click track. That would be fine if he was a great drummer. He isn't. #2 His choice of patterns is terrible. Nothing he plays seems to contribute to the songs. #3 He doesn't listen to anyone. #4 He plays too loud. Any good drummer can control his volume, and play quietly if necessary. Not this guy. It's all-out ful-volume attack, all the time. #5 He is tone deaf, and/or has no clue what drums are supposed to sound like. Sure this is a matter of personal opinion to an extent, but his drums sound like garbage. They are all pop, crack high end noise, and no thud, no bottom end, no tone at all, much worse than Lars on St.Anger.

Luckily we have our own work station, so the 6 hours didn't cost us any money.

I'm just frustrated. We have had probably a dozen guys come and go in the last 3 years, and the only one that was any good wanted to be in a U2 cover band. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

A lot of people may disagree with this, and some may be offended, but the historically-proven fact of the matter is that you have to be 100% tight as a band before you even consider recording professionally or otherwise - especially if you're paying for studio time.

If you can't record 99% of the song (drums, bass, rhythms, solos, and vocals including backups) straight to 2 tracks and nail it and then later go back and add the guitar rhythms under the solos, then you need to hash it out in practice until you can.

Actually you should be able to nail everything to 2 tracks, then go back and add rhythm under the solos.

Quality home recording equipment is dirt cheap these days, and it's very easy to get spoiled when you've got 12+ tracks to work with. It's easy to schedule recording time for each individual, but you remove the "band" element and the all-important feel by doing it that way, and then begin to nitpick the tiny differences because they're so exposed in that type of environment.

The best use for a multitrack/multi-input unit is to mic everything individually to better control the individual levels (drums especially) so you don't have to re-cut the whole track just because the snare wasn't heavy enough or the toms didn't have enough oomph for one roll. "Fix it in the mix" has become "overdub it to death", and that's the wrong way to do it.

Even if you've got 64 tracks at your disposal and 64 mics all over the place, the whole band should be recording live every time. Whatever tones need fixing before mixdown can be fixed before mixdown without destroying everything else, or having to re-cut the whole song.

If it's not too difficult to schedule time for the whole band to get together, for practice or a gig, it's not too difficult to schedule a recording gig.

Home recorders can be just as much of a crutch as they can be a good thing.

Think about it; you can spend months in a studio (home or pro) and take your sweet time and create a masterpiece of both musical and engineering skill, but if you can't do it live on stage with the same 4 or 5 guys that are in the band, it's gonna sound like shit.
      If you build a following with the raw energy of your live shows and then hand them a polished CD full of things you can't do live (strings, choral passages, etc etc) without the live energy they're used to, then you're going to lose a lot of fans. Some may like the CD better than the show, some may like the show better than the CD, either way, there's gonna be very few people who like both as they are.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i am working on a new album with my band right now too. i have no complaints with my drummer other than he's in 3 bands and is in high demand as a teracher. he's REALLY good and mega tight, but he won't record with a click. that's fine. we laid his tracks the other night and basicaly it was the two of us playing. his drums and my guitar. my tracks are scratch tracks, they will be replaced later, but his are the keeper tracks. we will go in an overdub other parts later. we have found that this works really well for us because the drums have a "live" feel - pulsing and moving during the track - and with me recording along with him it's easy to recognize the slight tempo changes that happen within a song. we have a few time signature shifts as well as sudden tempo changes so programming a click is REALLY difficult and time consuming. maybe you should try this method, it may make it easier on you to finish the recording. once you have everything done THEN fire the guy. it's easier to have a finished product when trying to replace someone.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Zeeg....It sounds like we both shared the same drummer..

If his name is Scotty...do me a favor and kick him in the sack!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

hey im a drummer and i do agree a good one is hard to find anywhere you go....the one question i have is why werent you guys practicing with a metronome before you went to track? every week at practice i use a metronome and whenever i practice by myself....Its a must if you ever want to get better. right now my band is actually having a hard time finding a good bassist. another plague all on its own
            www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I am a drummer turned guitarded... We're born losers, trust me, we can't help it. In the early 80's, I was replaced by a drum machine in one band. They said that unlike me, it wouldn't get drunk and fall off of its stool... So to sum up, I not only feel your pain, I am your pain. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My son likes to bang on the drums, he is 7. He can keep a beat and wants a real drum set. I am nervous about dooming him into a life of loserhood. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

i guess i've been lucky in that i've always played with really good drummers that i always got along with. in fact, usually my best bud in the band was the drummer.

same could be said for any instrument; there's plenty of lead guitarists who can't play rhythm, bass players who can't find a pocket, etc...

sorry to hear about your tale of woe; hopefully the studio can help you find someone to record his parts?

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  i guess i've been lucky in that i've always played with really good drummers that i always got along with. in fact, usually my best bud in the band was the drummer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm .. ever think maybe YOU were the weak link in the band then? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    hey im a drummer and i do agree a good one is hard to find anywhere you go....the one question i have is why werent you guys practicing with a metronome before you went to track? every week at practice i use a metronome and whenever i practice by myself....Its a must if you ever want to get better. right now my band is actually having a hard time finding a good bassist. another plague all on its own

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm moving to wisconsin... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i do play bass as well but guitar is my true love especially if the music is heavy. why aren't there more guys like you around? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    Hear the universe scream
                    Bleeding from black holes
                    Whom horns careless
                    And whom God mourns

Comment

i also play bass in an acoustic top 40 rock band. what the hell, its a good paying gig. not my first choice of music but it buys me guitars and shit! the drummer in that band is actually very good, but absent minded. i could tell him to rest after the first chorus for 4 beats just before we play the song and he'll still play through it! if i could get him to play my metal i'd be in good shape. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                      Hear the universe scream
                      Bleeding from black holes
                      Whom horns careless
                      And whom God mourns

Comment

i feel ya bro,,,,i've been through 13 in the last 5 years. i got one now but hes on the way out too.....Alabama sucks [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] if it aint Skynard or Hank they dont know what to do with themselves..i miss Chicago.....i always had good drummers to jam with back home
                        good luck Zeeg
                        MOSH ON
                        DAVE
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Now I know why I love my drum machine... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

hey paul where you at? the two guitarist we have are huge into melodic fast metal...they both are iced earth and lamb of god, shadows fall type stuff...too bad youre not closer...we really need a bass player and i think thats the missing link. anyways ive always been a drummer, went through marching corp and thats where you get the metronome thing engrained in yuor head...its a very(and i stress very) important thing if youre in a band an want to sound tight and polished.
                            www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Zeeg....It sounds like we both shared the same drummer..

If his name is Scotty...do me a favor and kick him in the sack!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, sound just like my old drummer. Give him a nut shot for me if his name is Jamie.

Comment

I have so many good drummers around me and that I have been in bands with... too bad none of them still play drums, the last guy I was in a band with was a nightmare he really wasn't a bad drummer but he thought he was a lot better than he was because he is a real good piano player(as if that makes sense) and he just drove us nuts to the point that everyone quit playing all togetehr when we left that band

Why couldn't I have grown up with Mike Portnoy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                                X