*sigh* laptops suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh* laptops suck

Well guys, my visits are going to be much less frequent for the next coupla months... why? Because laptops kinda suck [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Got mine for portability (which did come in handy-- if I had gone for a desktop I wouldn't have been able to bring it to Japan, eh?) but the portability tends to be a trade-off for reliability.

At this point the computer still works, but as of the last coupla days, it likes to lose power spontaneously. I've sent it in for warranty repair a couple or three times in the past (a couple times too many if you ask me)... the last time (a bit over a year and a half ago) they didn't even fix it.. the tech support people who don't speak any fucking English didn't seem to understand what I told them about what was wrong with it, so the repair people apparently fired it up and didn't know what problem to look for, claimed there was nothing wrong, sent it back to me, and my repair agreement expired soon after. Grrr. I suppose I should have written an explanation by hand and sent it in with the computer when I sent it to the repair center.

In conclusion? I'm gettin a desktop! I can get parts and put together a desktop that smokes this laptop six ways to sunday for a third of the price we paid back in '02 for it, never have to send it anywhere for repair because I can fix or replace components by MYSELF, and I can upgrade it as much as I want without getting a whole new shell. Sounds like a reasonable deal to me.
    The laptop has served me well for the most part, but after getting back to the states and getting settled in my new place, I won't have any need for portability, and I'll prefer having a machine that has all the specs I want.. maybe I can even set it up a little better for recording and whatnot!

For the time being I can get my JCF fix from the school computer lab on weekdays, and when I go home at night or on weekends, I suppose I can spend less time in front of the computer and more time playing my guitar or something.

Later dudes!

Re: *sigh* laptops suck

Amen to that - my laptop died on Monday (for the 3rd time) and I think I'm going for a desktop as well. I am currently using a borrowed Acer laptop, which while higher spec'd than mine, is a complete flaky piece of shit.

The problem is that I like the fact that a laptop doesn't take much space (the idea is that when we get a bit more sorted, a laptop will just go under the bed when it's not being used so it's out of the way and we don't have a corner of the house taken up by a computer bench etc)
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

If it's an HP, you can buy tons of replacement parts directly from them. My Dad's LCD monitor kept going really dim, and the Tech Support guy said it was probably this one particular part, so we ordered it from the site, and that was it. It's a PITA to disassemble, but it's a cheap alternative to trashing/replacing an otherwise good laptop.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well this is a Dell and it seems the only thing you can do when there's a hardware or power issue is send it to the repair center and they replace the whole motherboard. Had to do that a few times, every time they sent it back with a new board, something else went wrong with it.. damn what a pain.

So as you can see, I'm quick to blame the quality and nature of laptops for this issue (can ya blame me?)

However this time I have discovered that the apparent culprit is my card bus TV-tuner I've been using..
        at the old apartment, my card bus slot was taken up by wireless most of the time so I only had the TV card in when I was using it (a relatively small percentage of my computer time), but since I moved to a new place where I am wired to the LAN, I stuck the TV card in and left it as soon as I got here.. that seems to be what has caused the problem.

The TV card draws a lot of power and seems to run rather hot. Add to that the fact that more power (thought not near as much as the TV card) was being drawn by my guitar port, external mouse, and SD card reader, which were all plugged in at once all the time, and there's the issue.

I'm hoping that I can get away with plugging in the TV card when I want to use it for a couple hours, and then unplugging it right away when I finish using it... I still want to watch TV once a week and play my playstation a bit, ya know?

Comment

Damn dude, that sucks. What kind of processor is in there? The new M processors (well, not new) are suppose to consume less power and not run as hot as the pentiums. Everyone went nuts over a P4 laptop, but when ya got maybe an hour battery life it sucks, lol. TV card sounds like it there though, ah well, what ya gonna do? [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X