Base Closings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base Closings

Any military or civilians affected? Got a couple of friends that work at FT Monmouth in Jersey who could get the axe.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Base Closings

IF i read correctly...your friends will be getting the axe. I may be wrong, but Im 99.9% positive that was on the list.

Mrs LPC

Make that 100% positive, just checked the list

Comment

We here at Seymour Johnson are gaining 345 military/17 civilians. Pope AFB is toast.
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I didn't think too much would happen to the major bases here in NC.....

Comment

I wish I could fly a Jet!

Comment

Pascagoula Naval Station is on the BRAC list.
            They've had 2 vessels decommissioned without replacements and 1 more upcoming already, so it looks bad... that's Trent Lott's hometown though, so who knows...
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yea, they said over 5,100 are going. We're suppose to lose 63 civilian jobs here at Naval Weapons Station Earle NJ nder a re-alignment program, but, my job is no where in that re-alignment process. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Nope. Nada here. Was hoping our base would get it... but NOPE! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Em, saw your name on this thread and KNEW that was gonna be your post, more or less! I haven't seen the whole list, they just mentioned it on the news here. Are ANY Tex-ass bases on the list? I just wonder 'cause Dubya, ya know, takes care of his own...
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Texas has the biggest list, actually.
                    This isn't totally what everyone thinks it is... it's more of a re-organization as I understand it. I knew it would affect guard and reserve stations more than anything.

I think CNN is making a bigger deal out of this than is necessary, so far this is only a proposal plan. It has to go through Congress and the Prez and even after things are finalized it takes time to close bases, locations and move units. These reserve centers and stations and services can be absorbed by bigger bases, if that is the plan then that makes total sense to me. Organization improves efficiency and we could use all the help we can get there! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This re-organizing has been going on for some time, many jobs that were held by troops are being commissioned out to the civillian sector so the military can utilize troops elsewhere. It has directly affected Keith's job and is the primary reason why he won't re-enlist.

Comment

Damn the portsmouth navy yard is listed ..
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

<font color="aqua">I didn't see the list, is Fort Indiantown Gap in Pa. on the list? </font>
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          It has directly affected Keith's job and is the primary reason why he won't re-enlist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Em
                          Has he invested a lot of time already? Only reason why I'm saying that is, there were times the Navy sucked so bad, I just wanted to quit, but I grit my teeth and hung around until it was over. Now, looking back, its was good cause I've got the medical, pension is good, though not enough to live on. 20 years goes fast and its nice to have that under the belt when back out in 'civvy" land. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As for the base realignment, most of the Reserve centers as well as other bases are doing just that, realigning and it is a good ideas, but there are major bases that are being proposed to just close up. Ft Monmouth, NJ being one, SubBase New London,CT, Willow Grove, PA, Concord, CA are all major bases and there are more that I'm not all that familiar with, but those communities are gonna take a major shot.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I didn't see the list, is Fort Indiantown Gap in Pa. on the list?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Dave, but there were 12 PA sites on the list, second only to Texas's 15.

Comment

Here is the list: Click Me

And Don... we love the military and our lifestyle and are fully aware of what we are potentially giving up. But the cost we have to pay to continue individually and as a family is much, much higher.
                              I appreciate your concern, that's cool... if you knew what Keith does for the military you would definitely understand. He plans to continue to work for the government, just not as military. We will be just fine. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X