YooooHooooo...Is Em home???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YooooHooooo...Is Em home???

Hey Em....I need a few suggestions from yas, on sunburns and home remedies for them.

Last week, I had to do an overnight run to Roanoke, VA (about 8 hours) and needless to say, on the way back, I dropped the top on my new car from Greensboro, NC on....and, of course, right around Raleigh I noticed my arms and thighs were tingling a bit. Got back to the dealership, and I was a red as a pickled beet....The pain was unbearable...but I survived, somehow. Anyway, now Ive got this kickin farmers tan going on...just my arms, neck, and thighs...the rest is translucent...Saturday I "plan" to even it all out, but just in case I get scorched again...what works???

Mrs LPC

Re: YooooHooooo...Is Em home???

aloe?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I didnt have any of the "real" stuff....all I had was the after sun relief gel I used last year while going to the tanning bed....tried the vinegar bath, then I just stunk to high heaven....Im a huge wuss when it comes to pain, and I know Im gonna burn again this weekend, so I gotta get prepared...hmmmmmm...the neighbor has some kick ass aloe plants on her front porch...might have to go break a few off for her...

Comment

Hi Krista!

Sunscreen and a hat, hon. Wear your sunscreen and apply it throughout the day.
        But if you do get burned, the very best thing is Aloe Vera. If you happen to have an aloe plant then snip off an older leaf and apply the gel directly to the burn.
        But just in case you dont, get some straight aloe at the drugstore. Solarcaine makes one that is aloe with lidocaine. That stuff RULES. You can also use it for cuts and scrapes as well as burns, good to have some on hand.
        Essential oils are also good remedies: Lavender, Peppermint (as long as the skin is not blistered),or St. John's Wort can all be used un-diluted and applied straight to the skin (keep away from eyes). You can also apply plain yogurt, that stuff feels awesome. Ahhh...

Preventing sunburn is your best bet, but in case you do get burned make sure you also <font color="red">re-hydrate </font> yourself in addition to treating the burn.

Hope that helps! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Emmy

Comment

Yogurt...I never thought of that....thats simple, easy, and cheap!!!! I will have to go grab some Friday night on my weekly journey to wally world...I intentions are to lay out all freaking day Saturday and see if I can even this up some....it looks so funny, I gotta do something....half of my arms are about 15 shades darker than the other half....

My poor scalp was even burnt after this....I looked like a had a horrific case of dandruff when it started peeling.

This will teach me to never, ever under any circumstances drive my car for 8 hours with the top down when its 85+ degrees out and the sun beating down...never again

Comment

Original Oil of Olay...trust me. It costs $$ but it works.
            The Buzzard does not fear
            The man in riot gear
            Harvest a skull of stone
            The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

or pinch some leaves off your neighbour's aloe plant - it costs you nothing & it works too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Okay Im gonna go steal half of my neighbors plant tomorrow, hit wal mart and buy yogurt, pure aloe, oil of olay....anything that remotely says sunburn relief on it, then pour baby powder in my bed, and I should be set....watch me end up with some funky growth somewhere after this LOL

Comment

Krista...

You don't need ALL of that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  If you are wanting to even up your tan just apply a smart tanning oil. Banana Boat makes a dark tanning oil with SPF 4, Aloe AND Vitamins A&E- get that. It has the same sun protection and vitamins in it that Oil of Olay has, but is cheaper and is specifically for tanning. It will not offer burn relief, however, and you can still burn with it if you're not careful.
                  If you do get burned just use the aloe, that is seriously all you need. The kind with Lidocaine in it will ease pain, it works. The PLAIN yogurt is awesome too, I'm tellin' ya it feels so damn good! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Plain yogurt is purely for relief, the aloe will actually heal and provide relief.
                  And DONT FORGET TO DRINK WATER!
                  Keep in mind that these measures will not ensure that you don't end up with irreversible skin damage.
                  Good Luck!

Em

Comment

Noxema. An old girlfriend turned me onto it and I haven't looked back. Better than any product out there made specifically for sunburn.
                    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                    X