Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F@#$k!ng Clothes dryers!!!

OK,
    Most of the mechanical, electric, and even architecural things in life don't confuse me, but I have no f'ing idea how to maintain a clothes dryer!!!

Do any of you have this problem?

I can go about a year or so and then poof, clothes take like three runs to get dry! I regularly clean the lint trap, even bought a new dryer and after about a year, they quit drying!

Last time this happened, I replaced all of the vent hoses even though the look clear if you stretch them out.

Then I went and ripped the screen off of the side of the house - our old hose had a flap, this one has a screen that got clogged last year.

I have four questions for you guys:

1) How often does this happen to you?
    2) How does THAT much lint get past the lint screen?
    3) Do you have to have the vents inside the walls cleaned?
    4) Am I the only one who has never heard of this kind of maintenance being necessary?

I actually moved once because I could not fix this problem, and yes, I replaced my dryer TWICE because of this over the last 9 years.

WTF, is my dryer posessed? [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: F@#$k!ng Clothes dryers!!!

Heating element? Once the original one craps out you'll probably have to replace it every 3 or 4 years. The aftermarket ones don't seem to last long. The key is to keep the lint trap clean. If you constrict the flow of air to the heating element, it will naturally burn out quicker.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

LOL Your dryer is possessed dude! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You can have the vents in your walls cleaned. I had to have mine inspected this year for my townhouse association... all was fine so I didn't need them cleaned.
      I did have a new dryer problem like 6 years ago when I first bought my house... clothes weren't drying right, and the Sears guy had no clue what was wrong with the brand new dryer. I walked around the back of the house and realized some damn birds decided to build a little nest inside the flap! I saw some straw sticking out and heard chirping, so I put on gloves and pulled out a little nest with two baby birds. There was even a decent sized long, heavy rock in front of the nest to keep it in, thing was built like Fort Knox! I've now got bigger housing trap over the flap to keep those bastards out.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dude, if you figure it out let me know. I bought a used dryer back in college and it worked for about 9 years (plus it was already 10 years old when I bought it.

4 years ago I bought a matching W/D set (yes, something I've always wanted), and the dryer is starting to crap out. I even cleaned the vents out with a shop vac.

Stupid dryers

Comment

Gotta be the heating element. Lint traps catch the big stuff, but the small stuff gets through and settles all over the bottom of the dryer, including the heating element. Over time, obviously, small stuff congregating in one place turns into big stuff.

Pull the dryer outside, stand upwind of it, and blast the bottom of the dryer with an air compressor.
          Inspect the element for cracks and such, and then fire it back up.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Brace yourself, my son, for I have.... THE ANSWER!
            [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

You think your lint filter is clean, right? Wrong. Hold it under running water in your sink. I'll bet it catches and holds water, even though it looks clean. This is because invisible soap/detergent residue builds up on the screen. Take an old toothbrush and scrub it down until it doesn't hold water any more. Dry it good, then put it back it.

You'll be amazed at how much better your dryer will work.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Great suggestions guys, I guess I don't mind doing all of this work, but what a PITA!

This is one of those things that I never saw my mom or dad deal with, the grandparents are incapable of, and I have never heard a co-worker mention - dryer maintenance.

Everyone mentions fertilizing grass, mowing lawns, edging, weed eating, cleaning gutters, new roofs, steam cleaning carpet, yet never in my 34 years have I heard anyone else have problems with a dryer. Thanks for the support.

One other 'thing' like this - caulking windows! But that's for another thread......
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Here is another suggestion. If it is an electric dryer check the fuse panel. My old one would pop the circuit breaker that controlled the heat element of the dryer. The sucker would work perfect but it wouldn't get hot. I took the entire dryer apart and cleaned everything only to find out that only 110v of the 220v was actually working. Apparently, a dryer splits the 220v current. 110v supplies the motor, lights and controls and 110v controls the heating element.

Comment

Seriously, you should hold the lint filter under water. I tried this a few months ago and thought, "WTF???!!" Sure enough, it held water like a bucket until I took the old toothbrush to it. I can now dry a load in one pass instead of three.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

my solution :

dont put as many clothes in, and do multiple runs. if you stack too much clothes in there, it'll never get dry..but if you but one sock in there... (exaggeration)

Comment

Working...
                    X