Any armchair detectives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any armchair detectives?

I've always enjoyed research, and vainly think that I'm a pretty good sleuth when it comes to digging up obscure information, either from 'real' archives or via the 'net.

But I'm stumped, so I'm going to ask you for help.

I keep getting phone calls from 847-281-3020. They won't identify themselves, so I hang up.

Me: "Name and address?"
    Them: "Sir, are you ready to talk now?"
    Me: CLICK.

Repeat, a dozen times or so.

I just want the company name and a mailing address, so I can send them my standard certified letter.

Seems to be a Chicago number.

Anybody interested in lending a hand?

Thanks,
    Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Any armchair detectives?

A dozen calls is absurdly obnoxious. Your standard response should be: "I'm not interested in whatever you're calling for. Please stop calling this number, and take it off your call list."

If you are registered on the national "do not call" registry, they are required to stop. Otherwise, they will be subject to penalties. (...With some exceptions, of course, like businesses that you already have an existing relationship with.)

Comment

Does this help?

"We're sorry. We did not find a listing for the phone number you entered.
      The phone number "(847) 281-3020" is a Libertyville, IL based phone number and the registered carrier is Mpower Communications Corp - Il. However, due to number portability, some numbers have been transferred to a new service provider other than the registered carrier."
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I work for the local phone company here in Chicago. And while I cannot tell you about the number, I can tell you that your local phone company should have an "Annoyance Bureau" where you can report the number. I'm not sure how it works there, but here, you have to have a case number with your local police department citing harassing calls. Then you call the phone company with the info and the next times they call, you log the date and time and report back. Then the phone company transfers the records to the police and they take care of the matter.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks, PT - it does, I think. I've just faxed a copy of my Cook County States Attorney letter to Mpower's legal in Nevada, and the Illinois office.

Thanks, too, Tekky - my local carrier is Sprint, so I will look up their "Irritation Division" on my end. Hadn't thought of that (duh).

Given their MO, I just assume that it is some sort of debt collector*, so I really want to get my certified letter in their hands so the meter can start running under Fair Debt Collection.

Thanks, guys! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Keith

* Oddly, I don't owe anyone. Well, not that is overdue, anyway.

Comment

Axtogrind..... I just sent you a PM.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

No problem. I wish I could help more, but our "code of business conduct" prevents me from doing anything but suggesting the annoyance bureau.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

I understand, Tekky - I didn't know that you worked for the phone company, and I sure wasn't trying to get anybody to do anything improper. But I really hadn't thought of calling my local carrier, and will do so now.

Thanks!
                Keith

p.s. PT, you rock.

Comment

that is more than an annoyance......

I never answer the phone unless I know the name calling. If it has unknown name and unknown number on the caller ID I never pick it up. We usually set the machiune to pick up after 2 rings anyway so we never pick it up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just got tired of people trying to sell me stuff and never taking no for an answer.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

<font color="yellow">Keith, if the caller is human and not automated, go to your local Radio-Shack and get one of those mini-foghorn things and next time they call, pick up phone and give a short blast into receiver....I doubt they'd call back [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Ehh, phone lines have limmiters, fog horns don't "too" much. Just annoys them, haha...

Tell them Yes, I'd love to talk... Hold on a moment... The sit the phone down and forget it... after few times, of wasting their time, they may get to the point. Either that, or give them Bills phone number! haha... They'll NEVER call again...

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't care if they stop or not, I just want to get my certified letter into their hands. Then, frankly, I HOPE they keep calling. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

I usually answer the phone with something along the lines of...

Guitar cranked and instant feedback, followed by a ripping meedley meedley... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Or a B Kelley special...

What are you wearing? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            What are you wearing? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

just ask them if they've ever been boned up the ass for being a fukkin' wiseguy. then start speaking spanish like you know how to do it. they'' leave you alone.
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X