Smoking Cigars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Cigars

Allright, after my recent trip to Jamaica and all the talk about Cuban cigars, yada, yada, yada...

I am ready to delve into the world of cigar smoking.

Any advice, good informative websites, etc. that you guys can recommend?

Re: Smoking Cigars

don't do it [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Years ago, when it was first published, I enjoyed reading cigar affectionado. Don't know what it is like now, though.

Part of the fun, to me, is browsing large humidors for stuff that looks and smells appealing. I've never cared for the more expensive cigars (at least, not enough to justify the difference in price) but having easy access to Miami, I have enjoyed nice middle-of-the-road stuff: especially La Gloria Cubana's and Arturo Fuentes.

That isn't really advice, or useful websites, nor is it really an educated perspective, but part of why it is still fun to me a dozen years or so after I started is because I kept it fun: I like stuff I like, and being a wine snob (cigar snob, in this case) wouldn't make it any more fun to me...

My cent and 1/2. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

In moderation cigars are nice. I have not really hit any web sites for cigars, but they are out there. Cigar aficionado is a good resource http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Home/) although it seems they try to point readers to high dollar smokes. Lower cost smokes that are tastey can be found so never let price be your guide. Personal choice for a new smoker are the Macanudo, Fuente, or El Rey Del Mundos(sp?). Once you have a few under our belt move up to the larger shapes with darker leaf for a lot more flavor.

Comment

Hey Ralph~ I am an avid cigar smoker. Go to cigardave.com

Don't believe the hype about Cuban cigars being better than any other cigar out there. While they are great cigars, there are others just as good, if not better. Of course, cigar smoking is very individualized. The above link is pretty cool because you can join his site and he will send you 3-4 top quality cigars every month for about $20. That's less tan what you'd pay at a Cigar Humidor. If you want, you can pm me and I'll give you a list of whta I like but until you decide what type of cigar you are looking for (i.e, full body, mild, cameroon, maduro, etc) you have plenty to try through cigar dave. He has a radio program in Florida and other parts of the Nation. I pick him up on Saturday and Sunday mornings @ 11:00am-1:00pm on XM America Right. Hope that helps.....

Comment

we used to call cigars chick repellant. now they are even smoking them. get some montecristos (sp?)i have a customer in canada that can get them if you want some ralph.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Personally think its stupid. They smell like shit and make you smell like shit too. I think its a pretty lame excuse to start something just because its trendy. Sort of like saying "hey look at me, I'm not cool but smoking this cigar will make me look cool and I'm in the in" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, definately some helpful info.

I am definately not going to be smoking alot, as I have never smoked (other than some wacky weed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) in my life. So I just want to kind of find my niche and every once in a while sit back and enjoy a good smoke (that is if I even like smoking them!)

Comment

Can't help you on the cigars, Ralph, but where'd you stay in Jamaica? I honeymoon'd there. (Almost 10 years ago.) Loved it. I'll get back someday.

BTW that's where I came up with the "mon" in my handle here. ...As in, (with a Bob Marley high on ganga accent) "yahh, mon". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

A grape white owl blunt.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I agree with Shawn. I don't think it is good to enjoy something that is bad for health.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Smoking cigars is awesome. If you only smoke a couple a week there is no danger at all.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well, like I said, I am an avid cigar smoker. Not sure how cool I look smoking them on my back porch with my guitar in my hands but, eh, whatever. I do it for Saturday afternoon pleasure. I myself, don't care much for the old farts walking around in public chewing on a once smoked cigar either.

One more thing, if you already smoke cigarettes then I'd suggest quit smoking them for approx. one year before you take up cigar smoking.

Offer to help still stands Ralph. Pm me if I can help.

Comment

I couldn't get over the fact that you're not supposed to inhale them. It drove me nuts, I couldn't just chug. I liked the smoke in my lungs. But, after a year of smoking I quit anyway. Better now than twenty years later, it'll only be harder. I quit for a girlfriend that dumped me anyway. Go fuckin' figure.

Comment

Health risks aside, a life without vice or danger is very boring. I think assuming that Ralph is doing this to be trendy as appossed to something that he has a taste for or interest in is somewhat condescending. I generally smile and nod when someone's opinion of something differs from my own. I like Brad smoke at home for my own pleasure and seek no social acceptance for it. I personally love coffee/ espresso and cigars have many of the same flavors.

Comment

Working...
                              X