Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That Gassy Guilty Feeling..

[ QUOTE ]
    At the beginning of May, my plan was to get down to 30 guitars. So far this month, I have sold 1, and bought 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds familiar, I beat my way down from 40+ early in the year to 24 currently but I keep finding things I can't live without and that just makes it harder to control the numbers the next time around. I guess you have a problem when you catch yourself thinking, "Wow, look at that! It's the HickBilly 4000XL semi-hollow with a 12A quilt top in trans-fuchsia with khaki & olive kandy sparkle ghost flames! Ooh, and it even has the neon green headstock stripes, the Roland GK pickup, piezo bridge saddles and 6 single coil pups! When am I ever going to see another one of these?!? Clearly I must grab it while I can!" It's probably a good thing I'm hooked on guitars rather than crack but some days I just don't see the difference at all.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Even though my stockpile is at a modest dozen, and play in a band, I do feel a little GAS-induced guilt every now and then. I play all of my guitars (and basses in studio), but what's worse is my amp situation. Three 2x12 combos, three 2x12 cabs, a 4x10 combo and two bass 1x15 combos. Again, not a ridiculous amount, but some of them don't get used. I bought an Echo Mia recording card, Behringer mixer and Johnson J-Station for recording that I rarely use; half an hour last weekend was the first time I've recorded at home in a year. Despite almost never recording at home anymore, I bought an ART Tube Channel EQ/compressor/preamp, ART DST-4 preamp and X-11 MIDI controller "just in case".

I just remembered that I'm down from three basses, as I just sold one. Now I'll have to buy something new to fill that gap.
      sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Tommy do you still have this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, why dont you just kick in square in the cubes with steel toed boots - I will hurt less.
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Tommy do you still have this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's cool, unfortunately i don't. it was one of the original 3 that are in the books. boy did it play your fingers were getting a massage. i gotta leave it at here though, because i should have gotten it back, and i'm not gonna be a douchebag and start slinging worhtless crap on the board. wait a minute, that's about all i really do here-lol. if you have a chance at her, i highly recommend picking her up if you can get her. if not call me and tell me where she is now and i'll buy it in a heartbeat.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

There is no cure for Gas, Only ways to reduce it.

AKA stop going to JCF, but I can't do that [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i had 62, and bought 55 of them when i caught the bug in one year. and then they were gone. pooof! like magic, along with everything else. having gas and no money sucks the big one. i really only played about 5 of the 62 anyway like jg was talking about above. i tip my hat to all of you who were able to hold on to their stuff and not get it sucked away by drugs, bad marriage, etc. etc. i salute you!

[/ QUOTE ]

55 in one year? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I wish I could afford to be able to buy half that amount in one year [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

so do i-lol
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, one thing I have learned is a motto I stick by: "IT’S JUST GEAR". I had to adopt this motto to keep from going nuts. I sold every guitar I had so I could be self employed again….One of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and I've never looked back.

Moving forward hurts sometimes...especially when it involves sacrifice. These guitars & amps & other gear are not family heirlooms...they are "just gear". It was somewhat liberating to "let go" of some of the guitars I sold. I've probably owned 200+ guitars in the past 20 years. Sure, there are ones I would like to play again. But mainly for sentimental reasons. You know..."I played my first gig with this bass" -or- "I bought that one from a friend who is no longer alive".

I actually saw a USA Strat hanging in a local store that I owned for over 12 years. This was my main stage guitar I used right out of High School. I had to sell it when I fell on hard times right after my daughter was born 6 weeks early. It was cool to see it again…but that’s it… I didn’t really want it back….I didn’t even play it.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

I am down to my bare minimum of guitars right now:

2 I built all or most of
                      1 I reshaped completely(Model 2)
                      1 a good friend gave me(Epiphone Wilshire)
                      My first one(Jackson Fusion)
                      My main one(Gibson SG)

All my "backups" and ones I bought just cause the price was right are gone...

Comment

RR05xx, lol I wasn't trying to make another GAS attack [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't have GAS, but if there is a one really really cool guitar, then I must have it. There aren't a lot of them wich are 100% perfect for me, but that orange Lynch submarine is just so badass, one of my alltime favourites. I like maybe 7 guitars so much, that's it.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                        X