Drinking and Kip Winger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking and Kip Winger

So my band opens and closes for Kip Winger last night (he did an acoustic set). After our first set I come off the stage and Kip is in back getting warmed up. He says, "hey nice job, I like your originals". OK, so that was cool of him to say.

But then I jokingly say "yeah they're alright for a bunch of drunken idiots like us". Then he proceeds to get down on me saying how you can't drink when you play. I basically told him to f off.

I mean we're not doing this to become famous, we're doing it to have fun. Our job is to sell alcohol for the clubs we play in, we know that. And we like to drink when we play gigs, the place becomes chaos - in a good way.

Am I wrong here? Is Kip right? Maybe there is a good reason why the kid on Beavis and Butthead with the Winger shirt got beat up all the time? Please discuss....

Re: Drinking and Kip Winger

How is he doing these days? Just curious, I haven't seen him or heard anything since VH1 ripped on that "Only 17" video.

The reason that I ask is this - there is a school of thought that says "if you want what I have, do what I do." I'm not sure that I would want what Kip has, so I don't see any need to do what he does.

In other words, fuck him.

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      In other words, fuck him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have no idea how he's doing personally and honestly don't really care. He still looked good and his voice was killer.

But the whole acoustic act thing was boring as hell. He played for about 45 minutes or so, some old Winger songs and some other shit I didn't know. He needs to get Reb Beach back and play that old Winger stuff like it should be played!

Comment

This time I agree with Kip, IMO alcohol=fun isn't cool.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

How was his hair? We need to focus on the important issues here.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            How was his hair? We need to focus on the important issues here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

lol Jimmy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wan't to explain my point of view.
              Being drunk or drinking at the same time when playing on the stage is offencive to a lot of people. It isn't a very good example to young people. They may think that rock'n'roll is only about drinking. I don't mind if the artist drinks, but not on the stage, I expect some professional attitude, no matter how big you are, big arena star or cover band who plays in bars.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Kip with my future wife at NAMM in January. He's actually quite a nice guy. Everyone has their own philosophy about alcohol and performance. I didn't think he was instulting you. I think you might be a little too sensitive about the comment.

<center></center>
                Occupy JCF

Comment

There's sloppy drunk and there's drinking. I've seen people have a beer on stage and I've seen people plastered on stage. I've also seen everything in-between one drink and fully tanked on stage.
                  Obviously you're not giving your best performance when you're tanked, and as a fan I may as well be listening to the juke box if the band is toast (but a drunk band is fun to watch because they suck so bad, if I'm there to watch drunks on stage).

On the other hand, I've seen people catch their groove and really open up when they're "just a bit loose" on stage. They seem more relaxed and yet more focused on what they're doing and they do it damn well.

I haven't seen that too often - not a lot of people can do it. If you can do it (and did it), Kip has a problem. If you blew easy songs because you were partying too hard, then you have a problem.

Fun is one thing, but a stage in front of a crowd in a bar is not the band's playground to have their party at the expense of the crowd's party.
                  You're the entertainment - the Human Juke Box. Act like it or stay in the garage.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As long as it doesnt affect your performance then it isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned. I personally never drank while playing clubs. I waited until after the gig.

In all honesty I wouldn't take much adivce from someone still on the club circuit at his age [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] He may have just been making a conversation, i dunno i wasnt there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Although I would have taken it with a grain of salt and not told him to fuck off but thats just me. He may have been thinking in terms of health or longevity the music....
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how he's doing personally and honestly don't really care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not care about him, but he obviously cared enough about you to sit down and talk with you about it. People seldom give advice to people they don't give a crap about.

My two cents.
                      -Mark

Comment

Only the most pretentious members of society feel compelled to share their learned wisdom with total strangers without being invited to do so.

Not about the drinking, its about being a patronizing pompous doofus.
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Only the most pretentious members of society feel compelled to share their learned wisdom with total strangers without being invited to do so.

Not about the drinking, its about being a patronizing pompous doofus.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think that's what he was doing?

-Mark

Comment

All this discussion of Kip's ego and whether or not he is a doofus and no one has commented on his hair. I'm at a loss.
                            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I saw Kip a few years back... he did the acoustic thing, also, with a couple Winger songs thrown in. He said he wouldn't do 17 because he's too old and it's just not right! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] He did have sexy hair, though, Jimmy... he always does. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X