No announcement yet.

Never Satisfied with your composition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Satisfied with your composition?

Its very frustraiting for me, I have written a lot of stuff on all midi to turn into real music, but I just can't complete them because I either want to do more, or do something different. I never feel satisfied with what I do. Recently I discovered how to play I guess you call it Middleastern style music, kind of like Opeth, and it has opened the door to me because I seem to be making great progress music wise on it, but I just think my shit is never complete.

Re: Never Satisfied with your composition?

It's easy to keep "tweaking" it..but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Comment

go with your gut, don't over do it cuz you'll lose the original vibe.
      Hear the universe scream
      Bleeding from black holes
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

Just do a ten-minute-long opus like Opeth does and cram all your ideas into one super-complete song that covers all your sonic territory. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

heh, thanks

I have written one song thats about 6 minutes long so far [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
          but Its not done and I'm stuck with it hehe.

Comment

composing music is tricky...it can always be better...you can always add more...the trick is learning when it is "good enough"...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

oh yeah, happy fookin' birthday [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              Hear the universe scream
              Bleeding from black holes
              Whom horns careless
              And whom God mourns

Comment

Only 6 minutes? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Go with whatever sounds good to you. If you want to compose hour-long Concertos, do it.
                Once you get it, start trimming it down to make two parts out of it, then cut those into smaller sections, etc etc until you get something you can live with.

No one is ever totally happy with something, because they know they can do it better, but as was stated, you gotta let it go at some point.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I usually am really happy with my music when I write it. Then I play it the next day and I think it's lame. Then I play it the next day and I like it again. Then I doubt my writing abilities.

I never really am happy with the way what I've written sounds until my band has added their own parts and the music goes from being one dude alone with a practice amp to a full blown, full volume, rockin' band!!! That's when the power of the original composition gets realized.

From there, once the band learns it and adds their own parts, the song is pretty much "done". We always feel free to tinker with bits and pieces here and there, especially right before recording, but once it's recorded for an album, the song is set in stone. More or less. Live you can change it up some if you get bored playing it the same way time after time after time.

I guess the short awnser is don't sell your music short until you hear it the way it's meant to be heard, as a full band.

Comment

Working...
                  X