If you like rock n roll, you'll love Silvertide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you like rock n roll, you'll love Silvertide

I know a couple of us (namely Axtogrind and myself) have posted about this band before -- to limited response -- but I feel it is my duty as a lover of all things rock n roll to wax poetic about Silvertide yet again.

I saw them live in Syracuse last night at a crappy venue (roller skating rink, if you can believe it), where they were opening for the Exies and Breaking Benjamin. So I bought a ticket just to see Silvertide. And what I saw was a glorious return to good old fashioned rock n roll.

Notice I said "rock n roll". Not metal. Not punk. Not alternative. Not prog. "ROCK N ROLL." Pure and simple.

The kind of music where the lead guitarist plays tasty, fitting, melodic solos in each song.

The kind of music where the lead guitarist plays a show-closing solo behind his neck -- and isn't doing it to be "ironic."

The kind of music where the singer swaggers, struts, and owns the stage, and alternates between climbing onto the PA or rolling around on the stage and singing -- again, without a trace of irony.

The kind of music where the singer urges everyone in the crowd to clap their hands above their head...and gets everyone to do it shamelessly.

Silvertide represents a return to everything that I always loved about music, my JCF brethren. So if I can take up a little bandwidth to stand on a soapbox and preach about them, I'll do it.

If you get a chance to see them play, do it.

If you want to hear one of the best records to come out in years, check out "Show and Tell," their debut.

Sorry if I sound preachy. I just think the music industry needs a band like Silvertide right now. And I think more people need to be singing their praises.

And no, I'm not on their payroll or street team or whatever. I'm just a believer.

Thanks for listening. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: If you like rock n roll, you\'ll love Silvertid

Funny that their set includes the song "Show and Tell" that also kicks ass, but didn't make their album of the same name. I enjoyed the hell out of the song they do off their EP, too - I don't think they've recorded a bad song yet.

After seeing them on Mother's Day, I've been buying copies of the album to send to people. Rather than trying to tell them how much I love the album, I just buy them one. If they love it, they know why I do, too.

Glad it rocked, Tom - did you wear your Crankdaddy shirt? Did you talk to any of them?

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

No, I didn't wear my Crankdaddy shirt unfortunately. And I talked to them a little bit at the merch table after the show.

I'll repeat a little conversation I had with Nick, the lead guitarist. I noticed he was playing Zemaitis guitars, if you can believe it.

ME: Great show, bro. What were you playing up there...Zemaitis-es?

NICK: (shocked) Uh..yeah..Zemaitis. How do you know Zemaitis guitars?

ME: I know my guitars, I guess.

NICK: (to singer and other guitarist) Hey, check it out! This is the only dude I ever met who knows I'm playing Zemaitis-es!

I would have loved to continue this conversation about the gorgeous, rare, and highly collectible Zemaitis guitars, but Nick suddenly got preoccupied with signing a breast.

Ah, rock n roll.

Comment

I just checked a couple clips on iTunes. They sound a lot like the Black Crowes.
        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

I've heard the Black Crowes comparison from a number of folks.

In my opinion, though, these guys rock harder. Songs are better, too.

Again, just my opinion.

Comment

I saw them with VH last year and yes, they do rock. Their CD hadn't come out yet and I always meant to pick it up. I guess I should do that.

Comment

I didn't care for them when I saw them with VH last year, they were just sloppy and not tight as a band. Maybe it was an off night
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Yes, I would say less of the southern influence than the Crows and more rock.

[ QUOTE ]
                I've heard the Black Crowes comparison from a number of folks.

In my opinion, though, these guys rock harder. Songs are better, too.

Again, just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
                "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Working...
                X