Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More paint and another piece of history rescued!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More paint and another piece of history rescue

Ken, just get the car, collect parts as you go (ebay rocks!!!), don't get in a hurry, and most of all...have fun doing it! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Sa-weet!

I got to send you my '68 DeVille ragtop!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Send me some pics Ron, I just might consider doing it for you. I've never done an old Caddy, it could be fun! I'd imagine (due to the size of it) I'll be needing some longer sanding blocks, and maybe have to build another 15 feet or so onto my paint booth huh?? !!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Beautiful work on that GTO. I love it when someone pulls a decrepit muscle car from the brink of death and brings it back to life.

I am on the market now for a "driver" quality muscle car. The problem is, I like Mopar, and the prices for even driver E bodies is getting off the charts.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I know what ya mean Scott, but it's not just Mopars nowadays, lots of the old muscle cars are bringing some rediculous $ if they are are completely restored to original factory specs, have documentation, and are done correctly. I sold the green car for 36K. The red one already has a deposit on it from the same collector...and it sold for considerably more. I have 3 other cars waiting in line behind it and more to come. There is a market for these cars, and I'm on it!! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

damn mark!!! that GTO looks sweet. maybe you can enterain some of us with update pics of the red one here and their. and being a painter maybe you can tell me what kind of paintjob about 2 grand will get me. it'll be for a 94 Z28. Lots of red and some black with a nice clearcoat finish to make it shiny. will that be enough for a good paint job?? or do prices vary dramatically from location to location?

Garry [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Garry,
                Unfortunately 2K will just barely pay for the materials for a nice paint job. I charge a flat rate for materials based on these figures:

Sandpaper - $300.00
                Tape- $60.00
                Paper/plastic masking - $75.00
                Primers -$350.00
                Sealer - $150.00
                Base color - $220.00
                Clear - $200.00
                Metal prep and adhesion promoters - $75.00
                Cleaning and misc. thinners/solvents - $65.00
                Fillers, glazes, adhesives - $150.00

I round these figures off and charge $1650.00 + tax for materials alone. The you have to figure labor depending on the car and the amount of sheet metal work needed. For a nice "above average" driver quality job this can be from 120 to 200 hours. For a show car it can easily approach 400 hours. Even at my labor rate of $35.00 per hour this can range from 4K to 14K just for the labor.
                Soooo.....the bottom line is, you can plan on spending from 6K on up for a nice paint job. You can get paint jobs for less, but trust me...they'll SUCK!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I LOVE muscle cars and even though GTOs aren't my favorites, they are indeed history. Congratulations.

I wish I could get a muscle car. But Europe + consumption in gallon per miles + AMERICAN muscle cars doesn't really compute well

Comment

Working...
                  X