Playing DVDs on the computer...............problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing DVDs on the computer...............problem

I cannot play DVDs on my computer (a couple of years old Dell with XP). I've downloaded 2 different decoders and have tried everything I can think of. Is my computer not compatible and I have to buy a program off the shelf or? No problem playing CDs, just DVDs. They just wont work.

Re: Playing DVDs on the computer...............pro

Are you sure you have a DVD player/reader in your computer? DVD's don't work in an ordinary CD station.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm..................good point. Never thought of that. Geez, I would think all these new computers would have something as simple as a DVD player. So, now what?

Comment

If you only have a CD-Rom player, you can go out and buy a DVD player.

I'd get a DVD player/writer if you're gonna buy it anyways, that way you can also burn DVD's.

Installing a new dvd player isn't hard, really, it's easier than replacing strings on some trems. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Edit: just saw you have a Dell, so adding some extra hardware might not be so simple at all, perhaps even impossible.

I always buy my own parts and construct my own computer, but those pre-fab things can be a nightmare when it comes to these things...

Comment

So now you go to WalMart and grab a DVD/CDRW player/recorder, remove your current CD drive, install the new drive, re-authenticate your copy of Windows XP, register your drive so they can spam you to death or it won't work, then pop in a DVD and watch your PC's performance decline rapidly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Or you can go get a real standalone DVD player for $150 [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Geez...............all this for a computer DVD player. I do have a stand alone, its in the living room. My computer (s) are in the bedroom. I have a 4 year old, so, need I say more about watching a DVD in the living room?

I installed an upgraded CD player/recorder in my older Compaq without a hitch once. If its going to be a major hassle, I'll do without.

Comment

Ohhhh, you didn't say it was THAT kind of DVD [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Actually it should be easier to upgrade these days because of the Plug-N-Play specs.

If you REALLY want it easy, get en external USB-based DVD unit.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                If you REALLY want it easy, get en external USB-based DVD unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sound good to me!! Idiot proof!!

Comment

Only external DVD players are bit expensive though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I have a 4 year old, so, need I say more about watching a DVD in the living room?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.myfreepaysite.com [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      install the new drive, re-authenticate your copy of Windows XP,

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean, to re-authenticate the copy of Windows XP?

Comment

Windows has this built-in anti-piracy thing that says you have to contact MS via phone or internet and give them an authentication code to let them know you've spent money on a whole new XP CD rather than saved yourself a few bucks by installing the same CD on several computers, because they might not make another few billion dollars if everyone did that.
                        If you don't authenticate (and re-authenticate after changing your video card, replacing a CDRW drive with a DVD drive, and basically anything that causes the hardware profile to incur a permanent change), your computer shuts down permanently.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Windows has this built-in anti-piracy thing that says you have to contact MS via phone or internet and give them an authentication code to let them know you've spent money on a whole new XP CD rather than saved yourself a few bucks by installing the same CD on several computers, because they might not make another few billion dollars if everyone did that.
                          If you don't authenticate (and re-authenticate after changing your video card, replacing a CDRW drive with a DVD drive, and basically anything that causes the hardware profile to incur a permanent change), your computer shuts down permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newc, that is not true. You can change parts of your computer out without any of this stuff. It takes considerable changes for this to kick in.

I suggest you read this:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_myths.mspx
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I must have a bad copy of XP then, because I've changed/added components (CD Burner and Hard drive) with no problems. I also used the same copy of XP on my daughters computer (freebie/cheapo from work) with no problems at all. I'd heard those rumors before, but never experienced it myself. Oh well.

Comment

I've used my CD to install XP on all my network's Computers, 3 whole computers! (), and if you wait for, I believe it was, 6 months, you can use the CD for other systems, no prob.

Comment

Working...
                              X