Playing DVDs on the computer...............problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing DVDs on the computer...............pro

Interesting. I swapped my video card from an nVidia GEForce to an ATI All-In-Wonder and my CDRW to a DVDRW at the same time and was greeted with a message saying I had to re-authenticate my copy of XP. I posted about it here back when it happened.
    Anyhoo, I went through the voice-response system that apparently doesn't understand English and then it switched me to the "press a number" mode where I enter my Authentication code via the phone buttons, but it kept crapping out on me saying the first number was incorrect.
    Finally I had to call the 1-800 Hindu Rafsanjani operator in Sri Lanka and explain it to him, give him the Authentication code, then reconnect to MS.com and it verifies the setup.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And Tim: -

[ QUOTE ]

Product Activation keeps users from changing or upgrading their hardware.
      Not true at all. Users can change or upgrade their hardware. One of the forms of piracy that Product Activation guards against is hard disk imaging. Not all forms of hard disk imaging are illegal. In the case where a pirate copies data from one PC hard drive to another to illegally run the software on two PCs, Product Activation stops that by forcing the copied software to be reactivated. It does so by comparing the hardware on which it was activated to the hardware on which it is now being booted. If the hardware is substantially different, then reactivation is required. If it is the same or similar, then the software will continue to work. <u>Those who upgrade their PC's hardware substantially may be asked to reactivate.</u> Reactivation for this reason is easy and can be completed by contacting Microsoft to obtain another confirmation ID.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well.......bought one of those external DVD players, yes it was more expensive than the internal but was idiot proof to install. Works like a champ but WONT play the Petrucci DVD...............go figure. It works on my home DVD player but not this one. Every other DVD does work. Anyone has a similar problem?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Interesting. I swapped my video card from an nVidia GEForce to an ATI All-In-Wonder and my CDRW to a DVDRW at the same time and was greeted with a message saying I had to re-authenticate my copy of XP. I posted about it here back when it happened.
          Anyhoo, I went through the voice-response system that apparently doesn't understand English and then it switched me to the "press a number" mode where I enter my Authentication code via the phone buttons, but it kept crapping out on me saying the first number was incorrect.
          Finally I had to call the 1-800 Hindu Rafsanjani operator in Sri Lanka and explain it to him, give him the Authentication code, then reconnect to MS.com and it verifies the setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when you say authentication code, are you talking about the 25 character key code or is this something different? You give them the code and then they give you another one to input into your computer? Is that how that works? Like I said, I never had to do any of that, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Very strange indeed. F-ing Microsoft [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Well.......bought one of those external DVD players, yes it was more expensive than the internal but was idiot proof to install. Works like a champ but WONT play the Petrucci DVD...............go figure. It works on my home DVD player but not this one. Every other DVD does work. Anyone has a similar problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it looks like no one mentioned that you would need a software player to watch DVDs. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Hardware alone won't do it, codecs are required to decode the DVD streams. Check to see if the drive came with a lite version of player software, such as PowerDVD or WinDVD (most common ones). Cyberlink and Intervideo (authors of the above products) also have codec only packages that will play DVD movies through Windows Media Player. If you search you may find free codecs.

Comment

However, reading your post again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], it appears you already have software needed since your DVDs do play. Maybe the Petrucci DVD has an issue of its own?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it looks like no one mentioned that you would need a software player to watch DVDs. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Hardware alone won't do it, codecs are required to decode the DVD streams. Check to see if the drive came with a lite version of player software, such as PowerDVD or WinDVD (most common ones). Cyberlink and Intervideo (authors of the above products) also have codec only packages that will play DVD movies through Windows Media Player. If you search you may find free codecs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It came with PowerDVD so it isnt a prob on my puter. The Petrucci video play on my living room DVD player so who knows?

Comment

Working...
                X