Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JOEL! What the hell are you doing over there???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOEL! What the hell are you doing over there???

I know you really don't have anything to do with this, just thought I'd razz you a bit...

Feds charge heroin ring operated inside water department

By MIKE ROBINSON
    Associated Press Writer / Chicago Tribune
    Published June 8, 2005, 3:13 PM CDT

Eight men and women, including two employees of Chicago's scandal-plagued city water department, were arrested Wednesday as federal investigators rolled up what they described as one branch of a Colombian drug-trafficking operation.

The water department itself, already awash in charges of bribery and other political corruption, was not charged with being part of the heroin distribution ring. But investigators did find that department workers ``were engaging in this kind of conduct during weekdays, during workdays, when they should not have been,'' U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald said at a news conference.

Federal officials said the ongoing investigation got under way in February with a tip from a government informant and could produce more arrests soon.

The charges came as a fresh blow to the administration of Mayor Richard M. Daley, whose standing with voters has fallen as a result of corruption, according to the latest Chicago Tribune poll.

A number of water department employees -- including the former first deputy commissioner, a longtime precinct captain in the Daley family's 11th Ward -- have been charged with corruption involving the $38 million Hired Truck Program, which outsourced work to private trucking companies, some with mob ties.

Private truckers got work under the Hired Truck Program in exchange for bribes and campaign contributions, federal officials allege.

Fitzgerald emphasized that the heroin charges were not part of the Hired Truck investigation. But he declined to say whether the initial tip that sparked the investigation came from anyone involved in the Hired Truck scandal.

Charged as the mastermind of the heroin-selling operation was George A. Prado, a water department hoisting engineer. His brother-in-law, Anthony C. Ritacco, and water department worker Michael D. Hart were charged with being members of the ring. Ritacco is a seasonal cement mixer for the city transportation department.

A third water department employee is a cooperating witness in the case, officials said.

One of those charged in the investigation was arrested Wednesday in New York; seven were arrested in Chicago.

A ninth defendant, described as a drug courier, was quietly taken into custody a week ago after Prado allegedly discussed beating him and perhaps killing him for losing a kilogram of heroin when Illinois State Police stopped his vehicle for a speeding violation.

"He is safely in jail,'' Fitzgerald told reporters.

In rounding up the defendants, FBI agents confiscated 16 kilograms of cocaine, a quarter kilogram of heroin, a gun and $50,000 in cash, Fitzgerald said.

Federal officials described Prado as a high-level distributor who bought heroin in bulk from Colombia and sold it in 100-gram amounts to wholesalers who then passed it along to dealers.

The operation was described in a four complaints totaling more than 100 pages. Two telephone taps were used to gather evidence, according to federal officials.

Even after the heroin was taken from the courier's truck on May 24, the distribution ring stayed in operation, federal officials said. They said the most recent transfer of drugs took place just two days before FBI agents and Chicago police moved in to make the arrests.

"Obviously that is very brazen,'' Fitzgerald said.

If convicted each defendant faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum of life plus a $4 million fine.
    Occupy JCF

Re: JOEL! What the hell are you doing over there?

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Whatta mess huh? Just last week 8 people got fired just across the hall from me for the Payroll scam and the Commissioner was asked to resign as well...now this...
    Thank God I don't work for the Water Dept...I just work in the same building as them...we're a private engineering firm that handles alot of the contracted work and engineering design for the Water Dept....we refer to them as "the client"...it's funny...the main guys for the hired trucks scandal were just across the hall from me...the office next to ours was raided by the Feds a month or so ago to get documents for that....last week the payroll thing...
    In the article I read on sun-times it seems these guys are union guys involved who are operators and stuff....so thank god they don't work at our office....they're out in the field full time.....

It's friggin crazy man! I'm not involved thank God [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

Re: JOEL! What the hell are you doing over there?

[ QUOTE ]
      ``were engaging in this kind of conduct during weekdays, during workdays, when they should not have been,

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's ok to engage in it off the clock? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
      X