a small reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a small reflection

was just out walking my dog and listening to my ipod. i always have it set on shuffle, and dimebag and sebatian bach's cover of "believer" came on. there's only a handful of people that to my ears, can play randy's stuff and do it justice (no, zakk isn't one of them; far from it, imo), and dime definitely did that, and more. it's cool to hear him play the music of his heros; you can almost feel the fun that he must've had recording it come out of your speakers. i get the same feeling when i listen to his cover of ace frehley's fractured mirror; the fan comes out in his playing. i guess no matter how famous he got, he was still that little kid that had kiss makeup on his face, and hopped around his room to kiss alive, just like so many of us.

it made me feel a little sad again, knowing that he's gone, but it also made me smile because i could hear the joy, and i kept repeating that song.

there's plenty of good guitar players out there, but man, something about his playing just shines like a diamond when you listen. maybe it was his personality, i don't know, but it's just so sad that he's gone. yeah, i know, i'm captain obvious, but he was really something amazing. or as he might say, goddamn electric. anyway, just thought i'd type that. i'm gonna go crack a beer in his honor.

miss ya dime,
    sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: a small reflection

I wish this damn phone suporrted java, we're toasting dime with black tooth grins right now cranking cowboys from hell at the bar
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Amen Brutha...

Comment

Theres that something else to his playing that few have. Zakk himself says one of the things that keeps him going is that hes not a patch on randy, so he has to keep on. He'll never get there, no-one will. Dime came the closest, but was so original in his own style, he's now a benchmark. Growing up on dime and not eddie/randy makes me see this as two waves or not quite generations of players that perpetuate the guitar as the coolest thing on the planet. Thats another thing that makes him great, he kept on saying electric guitar is the coolest sounding thing, a giant ambassador for the instrument.

Comment

Man I don't think I could say it any better
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Dime was the ultimate. No matter how famous or talented he was, he still respected his heroes.

Comment

Wonderfully put, Sully. Thanks.

Comment

I was talking to Kristi about Dime on our way back into the city. He was brought up when I had a Blues Saraceno album playing in the car (Hair Pick) I mentioned Dime's plaid tattoo to her and then told her why he got it. Then I told her about a quote in a guitar magazine from Dime about Blues... "He's so good, you just want to punch him in the face..." I never forgot that quote. I think what endears us the most to Dime is that no matter how well known he was, he was never afraid to be a fan.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

I always thought one of Dime's coolest attribute was his relationship to his fans. A story I read in a magazine or maybe even here on the forum went like this:

Dime was in a music store signing autographs. A kid came up to Dime and asked for an autograph. Dime in turn asked the kid if he played. The kid said " Not yet......but, I will be soon." The kid's father was with him and told Dime that he just got laid off do to cutbacks ,but, once he gets his feet back on the ground, he is going to buy his son a guitar.

Dime goes to the store manager and talks to him. The manager asked the father and son to stick around for a while. After everyone left, Dime had the store owner pick out a guitar and amp to give the kid . Dime footed the bill. Dime kept it hush-hush and did everything after hours so not to embarass the father. He was thoughtful to other peoples feelings that way. He wasn't looking for the publicity of being a nice guy. He was doing something that was genuinely sincere and straight from the heart. He did not want nor need a pat on the back for it. He did it for the sake of the art and to let at least one fan know how much he appreciated his support. To me, that is the sign of true class in a person.-Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] That's bout all I want to add. Words can't describe what I think of him. LoL, maybe just "Goddamn Electric"

Comment

Working...
                    X