Should I or shouldn't I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I or shouldn't I?

OK, I need a new sport. I've been sitting on my ass for too long now, and I need to get back into(better) shape. I am not a jock, I don't watch sports on TV at all, but I need to be active.

I like tough sports. I was on my high school football team, and I played on our base rugby team when I was stationed in 29 Palms.

The sport I have in mind is boxing. I boxed a little in the USMC in a ring, and I did really well. I've always been able to hold my own in fistfights. I've knocked guys bigger than me out with one shot.

I don't plan on trying to make it big or anything like that. I had a roommate that was on the All Marine Corps boxing team, and I could never match the shape he was in. His father was a pro boxer before him, and when he left the Corps he went pro too. He dedicated his whole life to boxing, and I am not ready to do that. I just want to get back into shape and have a healthy outlet for my energy, guitar alone just doesn't cut it...

What do you guys think?

Re: Should I or shouldn\'t I?

Well everyone needs some kinda sport, so yes do it if you like boxing and especially when you have previous experience of it!

Comment

If a secondary goal is to learn practical street fighting techniques beyond what you learned in the USMC, consider some grappling sports. Not only is it a killer workout (a 6 min wrestling match will kick your ass) I've taken down people twice my size in bars just from being a mediocre-at-best high school wrestler. Problem is I've never seen it offered outside of high school or college. But Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gyms are starting to pop up due to the popularity of UFC.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

There is no secondary goal of learning practical street fighting techniques for me. Between growing up on the streets of Venice and being in the USMC, I do just fine in a street fight. I've learned how to sneak up on an armed sentry and break his neck without him hearing or seeing me. I don't need to learn how to fight, I can do that fine. I want to compete against other people in a healthy enviroment and better myself physically.

There is something about the raw brutality of boxing that attracts me...

Comment

Be aware that one misplaced punch can break your fingers, even through a glove and tape (Boxer's Pinky, etc).
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Be aware that one misplaced punch can break your fingers, even through a glove and tape (Boxer's Pinky, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And before the hordes of folks start responding and saying "You can get hurt in any sport!" remember that boxing's goal is to basically knock the other person out by hitting them in the face and body with your hands. The training you go through for boxing is quite good though.

I've heard a lot about adult soccer and basketball leagues, and some of my coworkers are into that and have a lot of fun. I personally would just take up weight lifting as a hobby in itself if you're looking to get back into shape. You don't have to worry about someone else doing something out of line and messing you up somehow either. And you don't need a team or other people to fight or whatever.

Comment

You have a point with the fingers thing. My great fear is damaging my hands. However, I have a certain brutality/bloodlust that I think that boxing could help me release in a healthy way.

Comment

Or you could get a job at a slaughterhouse, or in the meat department of a local grocery store [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks, but I'm vegetarian!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Do it!!!

It sounds like boxing is a real passion for you, and nothing else will give you that same fulfillment/satisfaction...

Hey - by the time you get back in shape, Tyson may be ready to attempt another comeback!

Comment

You should take up needlepoint. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Ace , Just walk into any club ...find the biggest dude...and kick him square in the ass as hard as you can..

that's great exercise! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Boxing is a lot of fun! Eventhough I prefer kickboxing a little bit more, because of the added element of legwork.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

How about...ahhhhh

bangin' fat chicks..

that involves alot of "legwork".. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

How about bodybuilding? I'm not suggesting that you take it to the point of appearing on the cover of Muscle & Fitness or whatever, but look at the benefits:

1. You can do it alone. No team schedules, no sparring partners, etc...

2. You'll be very healthy and much stronger.

3. It turns the chicks on.

EDIT: You can also do it at home, or at least up to a point, if you have the space.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                              X