Uli John Roth.... MUST READ>>>>>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uli John Roth.... MUST READ>>>>>

Now that I got your attention. I watched a 1985 VHS tape with Uli both in the Scorpions and with Electric Sun. The Electric Sun material was live and the majority of the material was from Beyond the Astral Skies.
    This just reconfirmed my feelings regarding Uli as a player. He was playing the his black/white sky guitar. It is a religious experience listening to him. He was FLAWLESS. Every note, every bend, everything. He has the Hendrix vibe going on live but his playing is super-human. It is so humbling to see a player that is so far ahead of the pack. Remember, this video is from 1985. IMHO (of course), he is one of the greatest living guitar players certainly the most technically proficient neo-classical guitarist who has ever lived. Words just can't describe his style. He is the perfect blend of Hendrix, Malmsteen and Blackmore.

Re: Uli John Roth.... MUST READ>>>>>

He's the Best there is in my book..

None more better! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

His playing is beyond anything anyone else is doing, or has ever done. It used to really bother me when people would say Randy was the guy bringing a classical flavor to rock music, when I had been a Scorps fan since the 70's, and Uli had been doing it for many years.

As JG said, to see him plays these parts and witness his complete command of the instrument is a very humbling experience. He can do things that other players can't even dream of, and makes it look like he's just tuning up. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Uli has one of the best guitar tone ever.
        [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

One of the recent Guitar World mags came with a CD that had a lesson with Uli. It showed him playing the opening solo to "Sails of Charon" as well as a section where he breaks it down bit by bit and explains not only how to play it, but what he was thinking as he composed it. It was awe inspiring.

Comment

He's still a bloody hippy...
            [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Horns.....even tho you pissed all over my Tommy Lee thread the other day... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]...here's my Uli story for ya!

Back when Beyond the Astral Skies came out, he did a little tour of the US. I wanna say it was 1986 or 1987. I had known of Uli from some friends in college (1980-1984) who were big OLD Scorps fans and had written him and he would actually write them back (before email mind you!).

So anyway Uli came to play this little place in Santa Barbara CA and another friend was the Promoter of the show.

He booked them in this little place called: "La Casa De La Raza"..a little community center place that had a 2 ft high stage and did a lot of punk shows in the 80s:

SITE: Only Info I could find on it now

So I drove up from LA to help him out.

About 6.00pm....after all the sound checks etc he comes up to me and says "J.R., Uli needs to go back to his hotel to meditate, can you drive him"

I'm like "SURE!!!"

So Uli and I walk to my 1985 Mazda 626 and get in. THis place is off on a small residential street which looks just like the rest of Santa Barbara.....so we go west on some street til we hit STATE STREET (SB's version of MAIN St.) I turn north on it and head up to the hotel he's staying at.

I park and we walk into the lobby. He says to me "I'll be ready in about an hour....wait here plase."

No problem.

I sit there.....wait....wait...wait.

Finally he comes down and we walk to the car and get in to return to the club.

Now, it's dark out....all the streets off of STATE ST look exactly the same, half of them are one-way streets and cell phones are for people like Gordon Gecko.

Result: I have NO CLUE where we are going!

I know it's on Montecito Street, and it's a one way street and I dont want to turn to early and miss it and have to drive around in circles trying to hit the right spot!

I'm kinda panicking (inside) because I figure NOW Uli is all ready to play and if I take 30 minutes to get him there....will he be all fucked up?
              Will he need to re-meditate?
              Will my friend gonna kill me for "losing" his artist?

So I head south back down STATE ST and go I hope and pray I am going far enough to get to the place. He's very quiet and relaxed and I am very quiet and scared shitless!

So.....I finally decide to turn left on some street.....and I say my prayers....and lo and behold...

I hit the EXACT perfect street. We get to Montecito St. and at the left turn only street there is the Club on the opposite side from me........WHEW!~ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I turn, pull over to the curb, his crew is hanging about to recieve him. He shakes my hand, says thank you for the help and gets out.

Show is KILLER.
              Big fat Nicky Moore ("Bruce Bruce"'s replacement in SAMPSON) is the singer.
              Uli just shreds the Sky Guitar and his White Strat for about 1.5 hours.

After the show I get all 3 of my Uli LPs signed and once again he thanks me for the ride.

IF HE ONLY KNEW................ [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
              Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

"Sails of Charon"-Great riff.I also like the yngwie and Testament versions
                "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

Dude , I'm so sorry for peeing all over your Tommy Lee thread..If I knew it were YOUR thread I probably wouldn't have peed on it...but as soon as I see the name .."Tommy Lee"...it makes want to pee..and I can't hold it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dude , That was an AWESOME story...so I take it there wasn't much conversation in the car..brfore or after his one hour meditation ..

I know you were freakin' out inside...that is funny as hell...Getting Lost with Uli...that sounds like a great movie.."Lost with Uli".. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

His Metamorphosis Vivaldi disc is beyond awesome...it is so articulate ..none like any other "shred" guitarist I've heard before attempting classical..he's the shit! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Uli has one of the best guitar tone ever.
                    [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He ought to. Doesn't the pup setup in the sky guitar run about $5k? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Horns

No prob!
                      ~LOL~
                      Tommy Lee is .... well .... Tommy Lee.

Uli was awesome to watch that night.
                      I have pics from the show too.
                      I may have lost them in the flood in my underground storage at my house last January. I have a ruin box of pics. Dont know whats in there. If i can find the ones from that show, I'll scan em and post em.

He still looks, dresses, acts, and plays the same!

Saw him at the House Of Blues with Michael Schenker last year or early this year.
                      He STILL has it! AWESOME!

Just a magnificent guitar player and even tho he is lumped in with Hendrix and (yuck) Malmsteen type players, he is truely original!

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] to Uli

Comment

Uli Uli Uli... Man he is amazing and just worlds ahead of everyone still no doubt

Awesome story JRE
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

that is a cool story. Jon, I want that video! trade something?

Comment

FROM Uli's website....resonably CURRENT news 06/006/05:

ULI JON ROTH will be featured in a guest performance
                            on IAN GILLAN'S upcoming album "GILLAN'S INN".
                            The album celebrates Ian's 40 years in the world of rock, and for this end Ian invited a dazzling number of friends and fellow - musicians to contribute performances. These include, among others, all the current members of DEEP PURPLE, furthermore RONNIE JAMES DIO, JON LORD, JOE SATRIANI, TONI IOMMI, DEAN HOWARD, JEFF HEALEY and MICHAEL LEE JACKSON. It has been rumoured that LUCIANO PAVAROTTI
                            might also be part of the equation.

ULI recorded multiple lead guitars for two tracks,
                            which, by all accounts, came out stunning. The two songs are:

"DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT",

and

"LOVING ON BORROWED TIME".

This was, in fact Uli's first ever guest appearance on a rock album.

"It was an honour to be asked by Ian to be part of this, and I accepted gladly, because I have always been a big fan of his singing and I had a lot of fun recording the guitars for the tracks."

Comment

This is great news, Ian is one of the best rock singers EVER.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X