I want some FUNK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want some FUNK

Suggest me some groovy funk music. I'm a fan of Funakedlic, Parliament etc. but I want something else, it could be mixed with jazz/fusion. I perfer instrumental and not some very old stuff. Steve Vai's The Animal has a groovy jazz-funk part in the end, that's the stuff I'm looking for.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Re: I want some FUNK

Electric Boys from where Sweden? is funky Melodic Rock.
    Also Dan Reed Network..
    I don't know any Funk/Jazz/Fusion bands..

Comment

Ritchie Kotzen's "Inner Galactic Fusion Experience" album from 1995 is pretty cool, though it does have some vocals mixed with the instrumentals. But very funky fusion stuff.

Comment

Rick James, Cameo, Jamiroquai
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Cameo??? WORDAP!
          [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Check out the Guitardance, a la Bodyrockers and stuff! Real grooving and funky.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

no zeegler, not that disco "thing" I'm not in a mood for dancing like Travolta. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I know you said no old stuff, but check out the metres for pure, raw funkyness. Also, Greg Howe has some incredibly funky stuff..... Check out his Album Hyperacuity, as well as the album extraction that he does with Victor Wooten and Denis Chambers....its really good!
                www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I know you said no old stuff, but check out the metres for pure, raw funkyness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, the Meters..also known as the Funky Meters. George Porter is a killer bass player. New Orleans band, I have probably seen them 10 times over the years.

There are some good funky songs on the first Living Color album, mixed with Burnin' Vernon's ripping guitar.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

There is a side of me alot of people here don't know about...I am a motherfuckin' Funk master supreme on the bass..tappin' , slappin' like nobody's biz..

I can hang with THE best of 'em...fuck yeah...no shit..

what got me started was Louis Johnson of The Brothers Johnson...there is a song called "Stomp" that I learned note for note with FEEL when I was about ninteen years old..its a real fucker to learn..

but THAT got me kick started to the world of FUNK!

I remebered going to a music store about 25 years ago and saw some black dude there..just slappin' away...it was a language I couldn't understand and it was quite impressive to listen to and watch...I had to get this shit down...and now I did..

but once you nail the technique...it opens up so MANY doors..

Funny thing is once I developed my slapping / Funk skills...I don't play or sound like a black dude..which is very true..but I learned from them..that's for sure.. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Funk Rules!!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

As far as meters go...it's pretty straight forward..I used to practice to a Roland 505 drum machine...just on a 4/4 or 3/4 preset..and I would slap and dance all over..in and around the beat with gjhost notes and whatever feel and progression I was working on..

I'm a fan of Stu Hamm , Victor Wooten , Michael Manring , John Pattitucci , Jeff Berlin...Jeff berlin was awesome and me ..I like my plaing too !

also Tony Levin on the Chapman stick during his King Crimson "Dicipline" tour in 1982 was very inspiring..that kicked me in the ass as far as tappin'..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

We used to have a band play around New Orleans/Baton Rouge that was called Funkhaus (I think that is how they spelled it). They had a killer black dude on the bass, and the guitar player had tone and chops like Eric Johnson. Of course, he got pissed if you mentioned that. Anyway, they were killer live. I don't know if they ever put out a record though.

Bill is right, Funk kicks ass.

There are also some pretty cool fusion/funk tunes on some of Al Dimeola's older stuff....Midnight Sun, perhaps? Is that an album of his? I know I used to have a bunch of them and I remember some killer sliding 9th chord funk jams on one of them. Its been a while, and about 100 gallons of Vodka since then..the memory may be hazy!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

oh fuck yeahhhhhhh..I had that Al Dimeola album...that shit is AWESOME!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Bill you have great influences, I'm a big fan of those players [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Stuart Hamm has an amazing sound on some albums and live concerts and his amp settings are almoust flat.

Also Jaco was a serious mofo, too bad what happened to him.

Comment

I had a Kubicki X Factor like Stu's...I got to meet and hang with Stu when he played wih Satch about 12 years or so ago...I got pics of us too..

I was never a fan of Jaco...not that he wasn't good...but his playing , tone and feel never moved , or inspired me..

Bill Sheehan is another one that never really did anything for me , for the same reasons..although he is quite talented.

Comment

Working...
                              X