Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying in Plane+ Guitar= Question

Hey, i have a question fellas.

I'll be in VA for a week, and hate to leave my JP at home, because i need to practice and play and...you guys are players, you know what i'm talkin' about!

Anyways, i need to fly back, i was wondering if there's any special care i need to take care of on the guitar, before i get it on the plane? any advice or thoughts?

and i wish more airlines would let me stow it in their steward closets. i'm probably going to have to buy a separate ticket for it, but eh, thats the price i get for needing it. (i'm spastically against being away from a guitar or musical instrument. even for a week. am i a nerd or what?)

Re: Flying in Plane+ Guitar= Question

Be careful ,I has an sg and the pressure diff snapped the neck. There is a reason most guitar companies send and receive their guitars by ground.Just a week I would leave it.

Comment

Visit your local pawn shop and buy an old USA Peavey or Mexican Strat. Spend a few bucks on pickups and possibly tuners and you will have a nice travel guitar you don't mind banging around.

This will probably be cheaper than another ticket if you had to buy one.

Comment

PIKA! Seriously?

I had never even thought of it being THAT severe! Holy crap...
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Be careful ,I has an sg and the pressure diff snapped the neck. There is a reason most guitar companies send and receive their guitars by ground.Just a week I would leave it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Objects will react to pressure changes but I don't think to this extreme. Certainly not a neck unless there was a pretty good sized pocket inside, which is doubtful. There could be exceptions, though. Pressure changes won't be an issue if you're allowed to store it in their closet. Hell, live critters travel in the cargo hold of the aircraft without any ill effects.

As far as shipping via ground, that's a matter of expense. Most dealers offer free shipping which equates to ground delivery. But you DO have the option of having it delivered next day air if you're willing to pay.
          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

yeah, thanks for the help dudes. I'll be taking my beater first guitar, on the car ride up, and leaving it at my aunt's place until they drive back down.

thanks for all the help, fellas.

Comment

take all the tension off of your strings then the pressure won't kill the neck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I think they were making excuses for breaking your guitar.

Comment

Even if you buy a full-fare tic for yer axe, it can (and prolly will) get bumped for a human.
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

+1
                    As mhalsey said, they put live critters in there with no probs, i doubt highly that it would snap the neck. We've all seen how great out luggage is handled. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
                    Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Well I hauled my bolt-on Ibanez RG from Norway to Australia and back no problems whatsoever. That's pretty much from A to B around the globe so there ya have it. It didn't even go out of tune! It was in cargo hold, but I was still surprised.

Comment

My band flew to St.Thomas (Virgin Islands) a couple of years ago to play like 4 nights down there.

We brought a Gibson SG special, a PRS CE 22 bolt on, & a Fender P Bass. We completely slackened the strings & wrapped the cases with a couple of strips of duct tape to ensure that they didn't come open.

We checked the guitars with baggage & had no problems down & back.

Comment

loosen the strings, that's all folks.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I told the stewardess that i was flying out to audition for Ozzy and needed to have it with me as i was heading off as soon as we landed.I dont know if she bought it or not, but i did get to put it in thier closet.It helped that we were flying to L.A. dont know if it wouldve worked flying to iowa,lol.

Comment

jeje ozzy audition... I think that you should get a Steinberger spirt if you travel a lot. Probably the best traviling guitar you can think. you can put it in the luggage compartament.

Comment

Working...
                              X