Where did I go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did I go wrong?

It's a sad, sad day in my world. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] My 12 year old son Randy is listening to Limp Bizkit. That's right. I didn't stutter. I said Limp Bizkit.

This kid has been a rocker since he was in his Mama's tummy. I had him headbangin' when he was just a tot and he has always loved the rock of the 70s and 80s, especially the guitar playing of RR. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Don't get me wrong. I let him explore all kinds of music and thankfully he has stayed a true rocker at heart even though he likes Creed, Simple Plan, Green Day, and music that skateboarders like. Hell, I even kinda like one song that Limp Bisquick has, but he's got me downloading whole cd's, videos, and guitar tab so he can go in his room, throw in the cd, plug in, and learn to play their stuff. When I showed him the video clip of Fred Worst's chops he laughed his ass off and said, "He plays worse than you, Dad." I said, "Thank you, son. Thank you very much.", and immediately landed a right hook to his still-laughing jaw. Taught him not to critique my playin, I tell ya. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

All-in-all, I guess I'll be ok with this. Now, if he starts up with the "yo-yo-yo" music, I will most certainly fashizzle his nizzle and y'all can come visit me in cell block "C". Bring cigarettes and snack cakes. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Where did I go wrong?

aw well.. some of Wes' playing has some cool tapping parts..

it could be worse [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Parents these days... sheesh! Send him to rehab before it's too late! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If he's in it for the guitaring, he'll be bored quickly. What do they do on their guitars? They could remove the higher 3 strings and not know the difference.

Try dumping some more real metal in his ears. Try not to directly confront him about it as he'll only listen to it to rebel. That's all I did when my parents complained about my devil music.

Comment

let him be himself and listen to the bands he likes.

he's at the age that to varying degrees, the music his parents like is lame. my son's there, too. he grew up listening to what i listen to, and now that he's getting into music a little more, he has different tastes. nothing wrong with it.

could be worse, dude!

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

+1

Comment

+2

Did you like everything your parents liked?? After having "Chipmunk Punk" forced upon me, I rebelled by stealing KISS - Alive II from my brother.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

My folks were into nugent, aerosmith,black sabbath, ect..I had to find music tht sounded like a train wreck to thier ears or else it wasnt fun.Testament, slayer, overkill,megadeth...thats what i gravitated to in order to "rebel". Then id listen to the 80's hard rock to get into the party mood.

My son has a limp biskut cd, and a rob zombie, and quiet riot, and green day, and some of my old cds.He listen to skater rock.I have to back away and let him enjoy whatever rocks to him.I do get upset with his mom for hooking him up with Slim Shady, but he's heard worse language from his moms bedroom,hahahaha. Let him rock i say! He'll dig it even more if he knows you dont like it, thats only natural.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  could be worse, dude!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he could be dressing up like a construction worker and yelling "Y.M.C.A." thougout the house.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    could be worse, dude!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he could be dressing up like a construction worker and yelling "Y.M.C.A." thougout the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      +2

Did you like everything your parents liked?? After having "Chipmunk Punk" forced upon me, I rebelled by stealing KISS - Alive II from my brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] To a certain degree. Until I discovered KISS in 1976 when I was 10, I was forced to listen to everything from country, Elvis, The Beatles, The Monkeys, to The Mamas & The Papas. Imagine my surprise while digging through my parents extensive album collection and finding Iron Butterfly's In-A-Godda-Da-Vidda (sp?). That song lit the fire in me for awesome sounding guitar and unique riffs.

Comment

I agree in letting him pick and choose his own music to listen to. I don't force feed any of my music on my kids, although they like it and listen to it sometimes by their own choice, they still get into some rap and hip-hop stuff and I can't stand most of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          could be worse, dude!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bite your fuckin tongue, young man! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            +2

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] To a certain degree. Until I discovered KISS in 1976 when I was 10, I was forced to listen to everything from country, Elvis, The Beatles, The Monkeys, to The Mamas & The Papas. Imagine my surprise while digging through my parents extensive album collection and finding Iron Butterfly's In-A-Godda-Da-Vidda (sp?). That song lit the fire in me for awesome sounding guitar and unique riffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was too, but I resented it. I really didn't appreciate Willie, Waylon, and the boys until much later in life.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Hell, I was into all that nu metal crap once too, but ya outgrow it once ya realize what's out there. I also took my own musical journey so to speak and found classical music and metal afterwards. He'll outgrow the Fred Durst crap once he realizes there's nothing to it and go back to the good stuff. Actually, just as Tekky said, I didn't appreciate a lot of stuff till I was older.

Comment

Working...
                              X