• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me pick 3 songs

hi all

i'm looking for songs with lyrics that cover the following topics:

-purpose of life
    -death, dealing with loss etc
    -what defines/what's characteristic for mankind (nothing too negative, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

one song for each topic is alright. this is for a little project i was asked to do....basically the point is that i want to prove that metal also has thoughtful and smart lyrics, stuff you can think about, and not only gore stuff [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

any input will be appreciated

thanks

Re: help me pick 3 songs

bump

Comment

Dem Bones- Alice in Chains, 1st tune on the DIRT album.
      some death in there for ya.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

In A Dream - Badlands

Not metal but Life by the drop - SRV deep shit there.

Comment

I'm Alive (That Was the Day My Dead Pet Returned to Save My Life) - Alice Cooper

That's a deep one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

God Hates Us All- Slayer

Pretty much says it all...

Comment

Just about anything by Evergrey should work. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dead Babies - Alice Cooper - For the teen parents out there
                Holy Wars - Megadeth - Muslims probably won't get it
                Chldren Of The Grave - Black Sabbath - Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?

Also by Black Sabbath:
                -Wicked World - They can put a man on the moon in one piece, while people here on earth are dying of all diseases
                -Into The Void - Leave the earth to Satan and his slaves, leave them to their future in their graves
                -War Pigs - always a classic
                -A National Acrobat - Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death. Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

For the ultimate brain metal, try some Iron Maiden - classic literature, mythology, world history, cultural dissertations, the whole bit.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Lionel Richie - Hello
                    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax
                    Milli Vanilli - Don't forget my number.

..... wait, is this the thread "what are you listening now?
                    [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Holy Wars - Megadeth - Muslims probably won't get it

[/ QUOTE ]

There are not many things I take offence to on these boards, but I was born and raised as one, and definatly "get it" so... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I think Metallica's One packs a powerful punch in all those categories.

I'd also recommend some Pink Floyd. Nevermore always is good, if you want whiney stuff, at least.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

well....i did already check out most of my cd's, but i didn't find anything really fitting. nevermore has great lyrics, but just not really about those topics. most of their stuff is geared towards politics.
                          the thing is, i need the song(s) to be heavy, yet with clean vocals so people can actually understand what the dude is singing about without having to read the lyrics. this pretty much excludes half of my cd collection [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] otherwise, death would be one of my first choices.
                          i was thinking of Dream Theater stuff, but their songs are usually so damn long, it would bore people to death.
                          iced earth is also one of those bands who have good lyrics, but also are more religious than anything else. either that, or whiney as hell [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          well....i just don't find anything fitting....but then again, the "no cookie-monster vocals" part is a huge limitation for me, and thats why i'm asking here.

Comment

Fade To Black?
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                            X