Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Coldplay fans??

[ QUOTE ]
    Edge from U2 is commonly ripped to shreds by metal guitarists and shredders as being an over processed hack. That couldn't be further from the truth. His guitar tracks are masterful. So is John from The Red Hot Chili Peppers

[/ QUOTE ]

jgcable, I gotta disagree with the Edge thing. I think there's a reason he's not liked by a lot of people. I personally think he one of the worst and an annoyance to my ears, but, that my opinion.

Now John from RHCP is amazing and unique. I'm more of a classic rock/blues type lover, but when John's plays, his choice of note progressions makes me stop and listen.

Dave Matthews is another one of those bands that makes me throw up, as does U2. I don't know much about Coldplay though. I don't know if I ever heard them.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Don, I have pretty weird taste. Except for the 2004 Judas Priest Reunion concert I went to, the best concert in the last 2 years I have been to was Yanni live at the Bridgeport Harboryard Ice Arena. He had around 50 musicians on stage from all over the world and every one of them were on the top of their game. The drummer was incredible and easily as good as Neal Peart. The bass player was as good or better than Billy Sheehan. The sound system was a technological marvel. It was an amazing concert. Have you ever heard the live band that does the music for Riverdance or Cirque du Soleil?? Holy crap. The guitarists in those bands are virtuoso's and they play 4 or 5 different instruments each.

Comment

See I can't stand the guy from the chilli peppers: he's OK in the studio, but I have the Road Map DVD and he's just shit - totally spoils what should have been a great DVD, and what makes it more frustrating is that we all know how good Flea and Chad are.....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I love the Edge, I consider him a big influence, as well as Andy Summers as far as layering type stuff goes. I find that guys like that have a lot in common with other guys that play heavier stuff that I'm into, like Jerry Cantrell, Josh Brigham and Ryan Parrish/Dustin Nadler from Hopesfall, and the guys in Hot Water Music, in that they either layer lots of different interesting tracks in the studio or their styles intertwine in very layered ways.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Don, I have pretty weird taste. Except for the 2004 Judas Priest Reunion concert I went to, the best concert in the last 2 years I have been to was Yanni live at the Bridgeport Harboryard Ice Arena. He had around 50 musicians on stage from all over the world and every one of them were on the top of their game. The drummer was incredible and easily as good as Neal Peart. The bass player was as good or better than Billy Sheehan. The sound system was a technological marvel. It was an amazing concert. Have you ever heard the live band that does the music for Riverdance or Cirque du Soleil?? Holy crap. The guitarists in those bands are virtuoso's and they play 4 or 5 different instruments each.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of bands and individuals out there, that I would be embarrased to say I liked. Recently, I took my mother to see an Engelburt Humperdinck concert, cause she really liked him in the 60's. I ended up walking out amazed at this guys voice. I thought it was unbelievable.

I haven't seen Yanni, though my sister keeps telling me when he's in town and that he is great. Maybe I'll take her up on it one day. As for weird taste, I'm the same. If you looked at my collection of cd's, half of them would be off-the-wall stuff like (Don Ho, Jackson 5, Carole King).

Man, I can't believe I admitted this. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

One of my favorite concerts was Todd Rundgren, back in '75, when they used to have the Schaffer Festival's in Central Park, that guys a freakin weirdo, but my favorite, believe it or not was the Doobies Brothers. They switched off on different instruments also, but the energy and musicianship floored me.
            Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

I'm not a fan, but at least they're musicians. We don't get many of those in the UK charts anymore. I mean we've have a mobile phone ringtone at #1 for the last couple of weeks, ferchrissakes!
              Then there's all those bloody dreadful 70's throwback bands - Bad hair, big lapels and Firebirds - but that's a rant for another thread...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of bands and individuals out there, that I would be embarrased to say I liked. Recently, I took my mother to see an Engelburt Humperdinck concert, cause she really liked him in the 60's. I ended up walking out amazed at this guys voice. I thought it was unbelievable.

I haven't seen Yanni, though my sister keeps telling me when he's in town and that he is great. Maybe I'll take her up on it one day. As for weird taste, I'm the same. If you looked at my collection of cd's, half of them would be off-the-wall stuff like (Don Ho, Jackson 5, Carole King).

Man, I can't believe I admitted this. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

One of my favorite concerts was Todd Rundgren, back in '75, when they used to have the Schaffer Festival's in Central Park, that guys a freakin weirdo, but my favorite, believe it or not was the Doobies Brothers. They switched off on different instruments also, but the energy and musicianship floored me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Todd Rundgren's "Love is the Answer" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  Edge from U2 is commonly ripped to shreds by metal guitarists and shredders as being an over processed hack. That couldn't be further from the truth. His guitar tracks are masterful. So is John from The Red Hot Chili Peppers

[/ QUOTE ]

jgcable, I gotta disagree with the Edge thing. I think there's a reason he's not liked by a lot of people. I personally think he one of the worst and an annoyance to my ears, but, that my opinion.

Now John from RHCP is amazing and unique. I'm more of a classic rock/blues type lover, but when John's plays, his choice of note progressions makes me stop and listen.

Dave Matthews is another one of those bands that makes me throw up, as does U2. I don't know much about Coldplay though. I don't know if I ever heard them.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Frusciante is absolutely one of my favorite players. Check out his solo work. soem great stuff. As much as I love Dave Navarro, Frusciante just kills him as a RHCP.
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Coldplay is generic corporate bullshit. Marry a movie star who got in the business thru nepotism, get more media exposure - no matter how whiney and pathetic sounding it is.

Comment

About 2 years ago, I took my mom to see Neil Diamond. She has loved him since I can remember so for her birthday present, I treated to dinner and Neil. Needless to say, I'm a HUGE fan of him and always have been. He was BAD FREAKING ASS live. One of the tightest bands around, other than James Brown (you wanna talk about a tight band? See James Brown IMMEDIATELY).

Oh, and John FruCantPlay blows. Chili peppers deserve better. Flea and Chad make for one solid rhythm section....until john plays BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAH [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Coldplay? No thanks.

However, I do like some of Radiohead's stuff and they often get compared to them. But I haven't heard anything from Coldplay that compares with "Creep".

Comment

I dig them, JG. I've always been more open minded about music, and always gave stuff that was questionable to me a shot. I'm an AFI fan too, and agree with you about their tracks. Looking down my playlist, you could see a lot of stuff. From Kenny Chesney to Yngwie, and from Danzig to Frank Gambale, or even Tribal Tech. I just love music, not any certain type. I any of you on being open minded!

Comment

Working...
                          X