I just installed Windows XP Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just installed Windows XP Pro

And I can not set up an internet connection. It is asking me for a phone line, which we never used one. It was all wireless. The dudes at Microsoft told me I had to pay to get tech support from them. We have comcast broadband, and I am wondering if I have to call them to get the answers I need (regarding how to set up an internet connection) or if someone can help me here..

Thanks,
    GMS
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: I just installed Windows XP Pro

I'm not going to be able to help, sorry, but you have to PAY for tech support at Microsoft?!!!?!?!?!?!?! The richest company in the world, with drinkingfountains that spray friggin' crystal for god's sake!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

you know, I had the same problem a few weeks back. I don't know why, but XP Pro kept wanting to default to the dailup connection even when I tried to set it to Lan. Comcast support will help you get your connection going. I can walk you thru this if you'd like...but you have to delete the dail up in network connections and set your preferences to a lan connection. You also have to disconnect the power to your modem while it is plugged into your computer and reset the connection to your IP.

Comment

check your network configuration window (start - my networkplace, right mouse click, select properties):
        which objects do you see? there should be at least one dial up object and 1 LAN object if I understand your explanation correctly.
        this dial up account is selected within the IE as default connection method (open IE - extra - internet-options - connections).
        you will see here this dial up object, just choose "never choose this connection", if your LAN is correctly setup, this should work.

Comment

I think even if he chooses that, the dialup connection box may still appear when he tries to connect to MSN. It did for me at least but I MAY have not tried all my options. I researched help and did everything in there and it still came up. I had to physically remove the dailup preferences I had from when I tried to setup to a dailup card in order for Lan only to come up.

Zack, how are connecting now?

Comment

I am on the phone with netgear right now...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I think even if he chooses that, the dialup connection box may still appear when he tries to connect to MSN. It did for me at least but I MAY have not tried all my options. I researched help and did everything in there and it still came up. I had to physically remove the dailup preferences I had when I tried to setup to a dailup card.

[/ QUOTE ]
              yep, if the flag in the IE isn't sufficiant, just delete the dial up object.

Comment

SON OF A... Since my netgear product is more than 90 days old, I will only be able to receive customer support through email or I will have to pay for it. All I want to do is call someone, talk to them, and fix my damn internet connection.

PS. Sorry if that was kind of a rant, but I have been working on this computer all day and everything and it's grandma seems to be going wrong with it.

Comment

You know, I thought I had some missing files and what not. I've used WIN98SE for a long long time and I hated XP when I first got it. I did some reading up on it and once I got it working after a couple weeks I found it to be more user friendly than 98.
                  The nice thing about XP is you can go back to the last known working configuration w/o a backup.

Anyways, Comcast will walk you thru your connection if you can't use our help here.

Comment

Connect your wireless network. IS the driver installed on Windows XP already for the wireless card? have you reseted the Netgear router yet?

Try this as well.
                    Press "Start"

"Run"

Type "command"

type "ipconfig"

than type "ipconfig /renew"

let it sit, than try to go online.

Comment

Michael- No I have not reset the netgear router yet. The router is hooked up to the main computer (the one I am using now) and the reciever is hooked up to the comp that is having internet issues. I called Comcast and they said there are no signal problems or anything like that, so I am thinking it must be the router. We tried everything we could think of while I was talking with them.

Comment

Also, go into " My Network " and click " Repair this connection". -Lou
                        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Is this DSL or Cable?

Comment

Comcast broadband.. pretty sure its cable. I don't believe they have a DSL plan.

Comment

Do this. XP will sometimes default to a dialup connection even if you click "Never dial a connection". If there is one in there, delete it. Once you get it going XP is 400 times more network friendly than 98. Rightclick your Internet Explorer icon and make sure your network setting have "automatically detect settings".

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X