X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prejudice in metal...stop the hate!

"Some of the best growlers that I know are actually good singers"

Dan Swano ...

The way I see it. I think any musician into "metal" would benefit especialy guitarist to draw from all styles ..as long as it some kind of great "musical" value. I like very challenging music..something to shoot for I suppose when I'm inspired by players that are beyound my abilities , no matter what their singer sounds like..and yes there are some pretty bad ones. But the elite of the death and black metal community normaly wouldn't have some screeching , cookie monster wannabe hack. The singers in these bands are very established in their genre as is ..Russel Allen , Tate or whoever is in power metal..

OK ..Let's take King Diamond and Arch Enemy for example...the reasone ANYONE wouldn't like those bands is because of the vocals . But you can't deny the talent in those bands..if you know anything about those two bands...you know damn well what I'm talking about. So if you don't like King's voice..fuck it..those riffs are killer. I always here people say I love that music but I can't take the vocals..SO , why don't you draw from what you do like from that talent. Take what you do like and use that in you're writing.

Think of it..Take you're favorite singer and plug him into any of those songs and riffs. You can do that on your own. Maybe it will get you out of that writing slump. Say that you always write and play riffs that are always like queensryche , dio..or whatever...and you want to come up with something a little more aggressive or "brutal" than you normaly play..for a kick in the ass in a song , for dynamics. Well how can you if you nothing but classic metal type stuff..

Take the Amott brothers in arch enemy for ex...if you like bands with awesome guitar harmonies like old Alice Cooper , Thin Lizzy ...hell even Stryper...you need to hear these guys...you're really missing out on some really awesome solos w / great harmonies with so much feel..songs within songs...just like any Oliva or Randy solo...very , very musical bastards they are....and they deserve the upmost respect and they really should be heard and enjoyed IMO..and they are just one example...there is so much amazing untapped talent out there that bekons to be heard..in ALL styles of metal...

it has helped me a great deal in writing and playing , ...and once those songs get into your head..you can't get them out...very addicting stuff.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I can't listen to Arch Enemy not only because of the vocals but because of the guitar playing. Yes that's right. I think all those so called new guitar heroes are cheesy lame ass rip-offs. They aren't bad, not at all but they sound all the same, they don't have THEIR OWN STYLE, nothing unique in their playing. If I hear George Lynch playing then I know it is Lynch, If I hear John Sykes then I know it is John Sykes but I can't identify those new players, they all are copying note-by-note somone else. That's why I listen only the pre 90's players if I want to enjoy some lead work. Oh but I like Loomis because he actually got some balls in his lead playing and doesn't ripp-off Iron Maiden's harmonized melodys.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

dude ...your'e totally wrong about the Amotts dude..

sorry man...that is incorrect..

Only because you are not familar with all of their work. How can you judge a player if you're not familiar with their work.

You can't write those guys off with just a sample here in there and make a snap judement..

I if I did that and the only solo I ever heard Randy ever do was in No Bone Movies or Suicide solution...I wouldn't have a clue what he was about...nor cared a less about him really....he was much more than that.

If you obly knew Eddie by Runnin with the devil...well would you still think he was the best guitarist in the world...no, not until you heard what came after that song on the album..the whole album...then the next album and so on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The amott's definitely have their own voice...both of them do , just like Sykes...I know it's them as soon as I hear them..instanly!

I know their music..therefore I know their style , Michael is more of a feel kind of player , where his bro has more fire...well they are both firey...and they both fronted several other bands and projects..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have listened their 3 albums Bill. I know what I'm talkin' about.
          But that's just my thing. I'm SUPER analytical. I hear similarities in music all the time. When Chuck posted his song on the mp3 section I knew right away it was very similar to ZZ Top's and Hardline's riffs. When I got the OSI (the prog band with Portnoy) album I heard right away that the chorus vocal melody in "Head" is exactly the same as one of the Christina Acquilera's song. I watched this years Eurovision song contest, Franch really didn't get any points there, it was kind pop-r'n'b song. That's funny because I think I'm the only person who noticed that the vocal melody was a 100% rip-off from one of Eminem's hit songs.
          You see I notice all these things all the time. And when I listened to Arch Enemy's leads I heard somone elses ideas all the time.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

"100% rip-off from one of Eminem's hit songs."

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's so sad that you know that.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't hear Iron Maiden whe I liksten to AE...I really don't. I love Iron Maiden... I bought all of their stuff since it was on 8 track..I banged chicks to it in high school , I got high listening that stuff , that stuff is etched into my blackened soul...

But I don't hear Iron Maiden when I hear AE...I don't even think Iron Maiden....not at all. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm just saying that there is an abundance of talent across the board..all equally great at their craft...

BTW ..OSI was such as waste of money...what a LAME record! [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

SOME melodys were definetly Maiden rip-offs, can't rember wich ones, haven't listened them over for a year but AE don't really rip-off Maiden as much some other bands do, they rip-off some other bands [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              BTW. I like OSI.
              And I do know about Eminem and stuff, because one day I might want to be producer and producers must know all about the popular music'n'shit..

Comment

popular music and shit go hand in hand..a producer knows that!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't think AE are rip offs..Mike amott has cultivated his style , tone since the late 80's / early 90's with carcass...I dunno who he ripped off...I'm sure he was "inspired" by maiden like many of us...but rip off...nahhh I wouldn't say that..

AE was just a evolution of Carcass...Heartwork sounds like a AE album.

OK enough with the AE...that was just one example ...dammit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think that its less of "ripping off" or copying that you're hearing Endrik, and more of a borrowed formula for song writing. Arch Enemy has pretty much always been heavy rhythm sections that boarder on extreme metal combined with catchy melodies and catchy rhythms. Their goal with their music is to get those melodies into people's heads and stick with them.

Afterall... Every band rips off another older band in one way or another... And every melodic metal band rips off Iron Maiden in one way or another sooner or later.

Comment

"Afterall... Every band rips off another older band in one way or another."

BINGO!!!!

Pay attention Endrik a producer should know this..it might be on your test.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hey Inearthed...I too am a unhallowed ursurper of the throne...what a small world.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I gotta a bellyache...too many pudding pops.. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

ahhhh It is VERY HARD to impress me when it comes to lead guitar playing, I'm looking for uniqueness or something, that's why I don't dig the new lead players, they don't have IT.
                      When it comes to songwriting then everything is extreme rip-offing. I haven't heard anything new in music for couple of years. It is sad. I belive that there isn't anything totally NEW to do. The question is, what OLD style will be made popular again. I don't mind anymore if some band borrows songwriting formula from another. I actually like very much when some band uses The Beatles chord progressions.
                      Maybe we need more notes? We have C C# D etc. Whatabout adding something that is sharper than C and flatter than C#, and something that is sharper than C# and flatter than D etc.?

Comment

ahh, the whole music scene...its all been going downhill since 'Olkahomo' anyways..quit your pissin n moanin. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Endrik ...I think metal just just evovled and gotten better thna ever..

as far as players not impressing you...are you familiar with Olaf Lenk , Magnus Karlsson and Tore Otsby..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            are you familiar with Olaf Lenk , Magnus Karlsson and Tore Ostby..

[/ QUOTE ]
                            yep, yep and yep. Excellent players, all.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

that's right G..

we need to spread the word of great players like these man..

The new guitar gods...

while Eddie is veggin' in self pity and self induced cancer ...guys like this is tearing it up..big time!

Comment

Bill - I don't deny the abilities of the folks in those bands. Just like I don't deny the talent in anything that takes discipline, effort, creativity, skill, practice, etc. But that doesn't mean I want to listen to it.

Some examples of great music to me (and this is far from a complete list, you asked for a sample):
                                <ul type="square">[*]Steve Vai[*]Rolling Stones[*]Pantera[*]Alice In Chains[*]Frank Sinatra[*]Al Petteway[*]Black Sabbath[*]Dream Theater[*]Van Halen[*]Kula Shaker[/list]

ok, I'm tired of typing.
                                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X