Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prejudice in metal...stop the hate!

who is Kula Shaker... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm just plain tired...I gotta go to bed...It's almost 11:00 and I'm still screwin' around.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Almost 11? I thought you were in Cleveland.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

He is, he's been up all night...

Get yer arse in bed Bill!

Comment

OK, like others I've not read this whole thread, but I do have to say that I feel just like Shawn does. I don't consider it "prejudice", I consider it "taste". There's certain formulas of "metal" that appeal to me. And there are other formulas that turn me off.

Of what has been mentioned:
          King Diamond - My first exposure to them was "Them". At first, I couldn't get past the vocals, but after a while, they grew on me. It grew on me so much that my friends and I would do our Music Theory homework listening to that album. (and I got pretty damn good grades in Theory all three years.)

Dio - I totally grew up listening to Dio! This was my favorite band for so long! I remember walking all over my hometown of Griffith, IN listening to Holy Diver, Last In Line, Sacred Heart, Intermission, or a "mix tape" of all albums on my walkman. RJD has always had the most distinct voice in metal, Vivian Campbell was one of my influences growing up.

E'Nuff Z'Nuff - Sorry Donny, I couldn't stand these guys. Maybe growing up in the Chicagoland area I got over-exposed to them. Maybe it was the (self-imposed) hype that touted them as the next Beatles. (Even Chip's mom promoted the band... I was acosted by her one day in a mall when I was just out with a girlfriend. Funny story... remind me to tell you sometime when we go for Del Taco at NAMM.) I've heard Derek was a great guitarist, and Vik is a hell of a drummer (I saw him a couple of years ago here in Chicago when he played with Happenin' Harry and the Haptones) but the rest of the band just didn't have what it took to capture my attention.

Racer X - I'll admit, Jeff Martin is a better drummer than a singer some of the time, but Racer X would be a completely different band without him.

Dokken - I didn't think Don's voice was really all that bad until the REvolution album. But I was always focused on George's playing. When I was a kid, I wanted to be George when I grew up.

Iron Maiden - I loved the Iron Maiden albums up until "7th Son". Not exactly sure what it is that turned me off about that album, but it did and for quite a while. Not until a couple of years ago did I even start acquiring the CDs. One of my very first rock shirts was the "Phantom of the Opera" t-shirt. I wore that shirt everywhere when I was a kid!!

Judas Priest - I've never really been that big of a Priest fan. I was aware of "Breaking the Law", "You Got Another Thing Coming", "Living After Midnight", and any other of their big hits, but it didn't wow me enough to want to listen to an entire album of theirs. I know I'm speaking blasphemy to many, but hey... this is all about preference, not forumlas.

Black Sabbath - Again, the same as Judas Priest...

Of what has not been mentioned:
          Savatage - Criss Oliva, I really need not say more. The man was just incredible. Technique and emotion in one package. Were the vocals all that great? Meh.. I could do without some of Jon's screeches, but Criss totally evened that out.

Testament - Alex Skolnick era... The New Order is one of my favorite albums of all-time!!!

Lizzy Borden - One of my all-time favorite bands. Dual guitars, thundering drums, and yes.... Operatic vocals. Sorry, in my book, this has always been one of the best bands around. Too bad that few seem to agree. I had a copied version of Visual Lies, I played the hell out of that tape. Luckily I can record discs to my computer or my Lizzy Borden CDs would be warped from use.

T-Ride - Geoff Tyson, Dan Arlie, and Eric Valentine. Three guys who are not only awesome players, but great producers as well. Sure Dan's vocals sounded like he was just drunk and mumbling into the mic, but there was definitely a charm to it. Especially in how Tyson could shred your face off without having an actual solo on the entire album. Take a groove sensibility and put it in a rock/metal setting and you've got T-Ride!!

Dream Theater - This band is another one of my all-time favorites. See Lizzy Borden, subtract a guitar and add an excellent keyboard player!

Mr. Big - Yes, bubble-gum metal/rock, but with the talents of Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan, this had the potential to (and often did) just shread your face off.

As far as bands ripping off one another:
          Gentlemen, there is nothing new under the sun! Once you realize this, the better off you'll be. There's only so much you can do with a 12-tone system. Even Bach ripped himself off. Bach even got to the point where sometimes his music was just as much doodle than an actual melody. (My music theory teacher pointed out a Bach piece where the bass line was him arranging the notes in a cross pattern. It is documented that it was his intention. Sort of the first "secret messages" in music.) Yngwie has re-written his first two albums over and over... Even Dio himself has re-written "Rainbow in the Dark" a couple of times. ("Mystery", "Hungry for Heaven")

Do I consider myself a "Metalhead"? Probably not, but of the many styles of music I listen to "Metal" is usually the most listened to, no matter what form it is...
          Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            There's a lot of hatered towards Enuff Z'Nuff and Pretty Boy Floyd too, anyone who hates on them sucks

[/ QUOTE ]They're also NOT metal. They do look hot, though, even if they do suck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

considering Bach spent the last 25 years of his life devoting music to the church after 'retiring' at 40 or so...that wouldn't surprise me. Guys like Jeff Watson and Gillis were saying "it's all been done before" back in the early 80's.

"There's only so much you can do with a 12-tone system"

totally true, to me there's just variations on a theme and the means in which it is delivered.
              Alot of Yngwies "genius" is a snippet of this dude, a dollop of that guys style ..he molded all these innovators together and drew from from the best old and new putting a different slant on it.

Comment

Tekky ..you don't like Black Sabbath..??

Tjey were the very ones that pulled me in this life long...well whatever it is I do.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well they invented metal...who'd knew ..if it wern't for Tony's little finger mishap..metal may have never existed..

he tuned down to get the string all slinky so he could still play geetar...I bet he didn't plan on creating the tone of the apocalypse buy doing that...it just happened.

Thus Heavy Metal was born...Thank's Tony!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jeff Martin got much better at singing as time went on...he sounds very good on the newer Racer X stuff...like Super Heroes...can you say Halford! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

King Diamond was a wake up call for me..I wrote that stuff off when it was new because of the vocals...I can thank John for helping me discover them..I barrowed a couple of King Diamond and Mercyful Fate cds from him years ago and man....that is some AWESOME playing and music...boy I felt like I was robbed by my own snap judments and ignorance..

You see I was there too...

Now look at me now...I'm a metal Junkie...probably dude to that very reason...I wanted to "catch up"...and then some...well I did..

John remembers the days when all I listened to was Dokken , Ratt and stuff..as a matter of fact John thought it was kinda gay at the time but he did like those guitarist..

he was into Candlemass and King Diamond while I was into Dokken and Ratt..e

Now it is I who is exposing him to bands such as Arch Enemy...John HATED Arch Enemy at first...now it is one of his very favorite bands....

it was nice to return the favor so to speak..

what are friends for...he doesn't like all the heavy stuff I like to play and listen to...one of the reasons we couldn't get on the same page when we writing music together..

I bet if we were to do that again...things may be different.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

this was all a matter of ..."taste"..

but one must "taste" it all to see what "taste" you have...I think.

There are a lot of diffrent kinds of pasta dishes..it's all fuckin' pasta...just flour and water..but there is so many differnt pasta dishes..just because you don't like pesto doesn't mean all pasta dishes suck..you can't write off all pasta because pesto sucks..

I Hate pesto...but I tried all kinds of it..nothing but bazil...and it's all green..yuck!

I don't know any Italians that eat ...Pesto...not real Italians.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i was never into slaying dragons and fighting vikings and stuff. i wanted to hear about being hammered and chicks in all of their forms. in beauty, headache, sex, etc.
                  i'm on par with hippietim i think more than anybody after looking at his list.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Tommy and Timmy sitting in a tree..

K I S S I N G.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

• Re: Prejudice in metal...stop the hate!

Ok, here is how I look at things. I don't like the cookie monster vocals either, then again I'm not a big fan of the dragon banging, sword stroking side of metal either. That being said, neither of those things are deal breakers for me. I love Iced Earth and I love Opeth. In fact a few years ago I was all Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Savatage. This changed when I first heard Opeth. Because previously I had stayed away from anything even remotely connected with black/death metal. I found that not only could I tolerate Opeth, but I actually liked it.

I think that even if you think you won't be able to get past the cookie vocals, its worth giving it a shot because this willingness to step outside the box I was stuck in opened my eyes to new bands like Orphaned Land, Nile, Therion and Green Carnation. Speaking of which, I looked over your list on your thread Bill and I didn't see Orphaned Land. If you haven't heard them now, go check them out as soon as humanly possible.

Oh and I saw Nile live and I think maybe you caught them on an off show or something Bill because when I saw them they were very tight. Not perfect, but still amazing. And on a scale of technical Death metal I'd put Nile pretty high up there.

[ QUOTE ]
                      I belive that there isn't anything totally NEW to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      I thought this too until I heard Pain of Salvation's album "Be". Truly original and a huge risk (which is why it got widely varying reviews). Orphaned Land's "Mabool" also does something pretty unique, particularly on their more traditionally Israeli inspired tracks. Worth checking out for something unique. I mean if you wanna get really anal even "Be" took from alot of other music styles and swirled it together but thats getting pretty technical. I've listened to alot of music in almost every genre (cept rap and country, I hate those) and I've never heard anything quite like that one. Can't guarantee you will dig it, but I think you will be impressed by the unique vision of the music.

Oh and I don't buy the "singing fits the music argument" completely. Listen to the song Abraxas by Therion. That song kicks my ass and yet there is only one small part thats not sung in opera or choir (an awesome scream by Mats). And that very heavy double bass section in the middle of that song is backed up by choirs! Nah vocals are a stylistic choice. That doesn't mean its good or bad, thats in the eye (or should I say ear) of the listener.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

K I S S I N G.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

we're both waiting for you bill so we can convert you to our musical path in the brain. boy are you in trouble but there's room in the tree-lol
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

You want predjudice - I frickin'HATE those weaselly little shitwads go around with that constant "I'm so mean and nasty" 'tude, when it's blatantly obvious that yer kid sister could kick their asses! (CoughAlexiLaihoCough)
                            And that fag Dani Filth - he looks like somebody's girlfriend, ferchrissakes! [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            Bill - we need Mp3s of the Cobra running, dude! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Correction Snoogs ...Dani filth looks like somebody's UGLY girlfriend..

and I would like to have some MP3s of my Cobra...but me don't know how to do those things...me is computer dumb! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But the Cobra is awesome though..No, take "awesome" and double it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Now to the matter at hand..Good Metal!

Chris , first I would like to welcome you to the board. You sound like a metally wise man. It looks like you have much knowledge of metal ..only because we both share that same passion for it...and the more great metal we find the more metal we want..the more you dig..the more you find.

Oh hell... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

waite a minute...I gotta poop..

I'll be back.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X