No announcement yet.

Prejudice in metal...stop the hate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Prejudice in metal...stop the hate!

[ QUOTE ]
    Chris , first I would like to welcome you to the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks, or welcome back rather [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was around when the board was attached to Jackson's website. But money problems and stuff dictated an absence from this board (too many temptations in terms of guitars). But now that I've got more of a handle on things I think its safe for my finances to return (I hope). Alot of the old posters I remember are gone, but some are still here. Newc, Boxcar, Yoga, Annah,(off the top of my head) Anyone know what happened to Oklastrat though?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Tekky ..you don't like Black Sabbath..??

Tjey were the very ones that pulled me in this life long...well whatever it is I do.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well they invented metal...who'd knew ..if it wern't for Tony's little finger mishap..metal may have never existed..

he tuned down to get the string all slinky so he could still play geetar...I bet he didn't plan on creating the tone of the apocalypse buy doing that...it just happened.

Thus Heavy Metal was born...Thank's Tony!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a big Black Sabbath fan, I have heard plenty of Sabbath songs that I like, but I haven't purchased any albums nor spent much time listening to their songs unless it was on Ozzy's "Tribute" or "Speak of the Devil". While I'm not a big fan, I can still appreciate their contribution to the music that I listen to. I can/will say exactly the same thing for Judas Priest and Led Zeppelin.

[ QUOTE ]
      Jeff Martin got much better at singing as time went on...he sounds very good on the newer Racer X stuff...like Super Heroes...can you say Halford! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
      I'll agree with you there. Funny thing is that when Lynch toured with Yngwie, he had Jeff Martin on drums. I'd say that he out sang Kelley Keeling on most of the songs. Like King Diamond, I have grown to really like his voice.

[ QUOTE ]
      King Diamond was a wake up call for me..I wrote that stuff off when it was new because of the vocals...I can thank John for helping me discover them..I barrowed a couple of King Diamond and Mercyful Fate cds from him years ago and man....that is some AWESOME playing and music...boy I felt like I was robbed by my own snap judments and ignorance..

You see I was there too...

Now look at me now...I'm a metal Junkie...probably dude to that very reason...I wanted to "catch up"...and then some...well I did..

[/ QUOTE ]
      I've done the same thing, not only with other metal bands, but some non-metal bands/artists as well. I opened my mind to new things. While I did like some of the stuff I "re-discovered" there were also things that I still didn't like.

[ QUOTE ]
      this was all a matter of ..."taste"..

but one must "taste" it all to see what "taste" you have...I think.

There are a lot of diffrent kinds of pasta dishes..it's all fuckin' pasta...just flour and water..but there is so many differnt pasta dishes..just because you don't like pesto doesn't mean all pasta dishes suck..you can't write off all pasta because pesto sucks..

I Hate pesto...but I tried all kinds of it..nothing but bazil...and it's all green..yuck!

I don't know any Italians that eat ...Pesto...not real Italians.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
      I agree totally. But your initial post calls for all to embrace all metal whether you like it or not. I love cookies and I grew up watching Cookie Monster, but I'm not crazy about "cookie monster vocals". Can I appreciate the other elements of the band/song or their impact on the metal/rock scene? Sure, absolutely. Maybe even so much that after a while I can get around to either liking the vocals (like with King Diamond) or tuning them out completely but it's a hit or miss thing. It isn't going to happen because it's fits a formula. It'll happen if it appeals to an individual's aestetics. Just like the pasta/pesto analogy.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

I love pasta. And pesto. Especially together! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          Chris , first I would like to welcome you to the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Thanks, or welcome back rather [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was around when the board was attached to Jackson's website. But money problems and stuff dictated an absence from this board (too many temptations in terms of guitars). But now that I've got more of a handle on things I think its safe for my finances to return (I hope). Alot of the old posters I remember are gone, but some are still here. Newc, Boxcar, Yoga, Annah,(off the top of my head) Anyone know what happened to Oklastrat though?

[/ QUOTE ]

The surgery was a success. He's "Twisteramps" now.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Bill, here is my opinion. I hate cookie monster vocals, especially when they are backed by a killer metal track. That style of vocal emerged because there were too many overweight, tatoo'd, bald lead singers out there who didn't have the chops to actually be able to sing. Most of them couldn't hold a key if their lives depended on it. It has nothing to do with rage, or the social climate or any other dribble. It is strictly chops. Do you know why guitar solos went bye bye?? I'll tell you a short story. Once upon a recent time, guitar players who didn't have the chops took the easy way out and stopped attempting to play guitar solos, after all, they were at best rhythm guitar players. Then these fucking hack guitarists hooked up with the local bald, overweight fully tatoo'd hack singer who can't sing and they started a band. Fortunately for these 2 hacks, they usually hooked up with a killer bass player and drummer because I am the first to admit that the cookie monster vocal laden nu-metal songs all share the same thing... great drummers and bass players. These guitarists and the lead "singers" for the most part suck and by 80's (prejudice) standards they would have been laughed out of any band they auditioned for. So I guess, to answer you original topic I am metally retarded or prejudice or whatever you call it. IMHO, my metal guitar chops define my "metalness". In other words, my pimp hand is strong when it comes to metal. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Tekky and Shawn when it comes to my metal. My faves have always been the more melodic bands...
              King's X, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Dio...you get the idea.

I do however like a few of the heavier bands that have some melody in the tunes, whether it be instrumental or vocal - something to hang on to, y'know? The growling vocals have always bothered me, except for Sepultura - I want Max in my band. He'd be a hoot playing weddings.

It's the vocals that keep me from really enjoying Lamb Of God, Shadow's Fall, COB, etc. Thses guys can really play and have some amazing riffs but the "singing" is not for me.

Give me Doug Pinnick, Dio, Halford, John Bush and Paul Di'Anno and call me a pussy. I can take it.
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I don't like Cookie Monster vocals either..Seriously I can listen to Glen Benton for so long before I can't take it no more..

I'd say Deicide is the only band I do like that has what I would call.."cookie monster" vocals..

there is a art and talent to get the harsh vocals down..some are great at it..I prefer the "throaty" swedish style I guess like Tom Lindberg , Peter Delving or Speed of Soilwork for example..they are very known in these circles..

I'm just saying NOT to lump all death and black metal together...there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule and I want to share and expose those bands that are exceptional in these genres..

I think I established SOME credibilty with my knowledge of metal..all metal. I wouldn't mind turning somebody onto something they wouldn't "normally" listen to...like Lousiffer asked just not long ago..

I can do this on a one to one basis...Tell me what you're favorite metal bands are and I will probably know what bands you will and will not like..or what other styles to try..

for example...It's a no brainer..that someone who never liked ANY death metal and would like to try it..is not going to like Grindcore..no way is that happening.. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

I would want to break that person in slowly...Like give them really good bands that share both clean and harsh vocals like Into Eternity for example who would definitely appeal to fans of death metal as much as prog metal..and the guitars are great..stuff that wouldn't overwhelm them too much and scare them away..

BTW ..Chris you're therion example is great. But Therion is one of those unique bands that are going to do what they do best..there is only a handful of bands in their league and style like Haggard..

Orphaned Land is a great metal band from Israel who has been dodging skud missles and whatnot for more than a decade to record some of the coolest progressive death metal out there..I have only two of their cds.."Mabool , The story of of three sons of seven"..and the re-issue of their first one "The beloved's cry"...

Chris , I highly recomend to you a band called Winds..I've been listening to them alot lately..and a US doom metal band called November's doom...their last one titled is their best "The Pale Haunt Departure" should appeal to any Opeth and My Dying Bride fans..pretty cool stuff.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Talk to ya later..

BTW again...you guys don't realize how BAKED I was when I first posted this thread..I can't even read half of my original post..I was truly guilty of a PUI there... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

cool...
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Jimmy B...Max is THE cookie Monster of ALL cookie monsters...he is the king of COOKIE...but I like Sepultura too...ONLY the old stuff though...like the first few albums.

Jimmy...I want you to listen to "Silverwing" by Arch Enemy...it's when Liva was in the band...you want old school melody with a death metal kick in the ass...listen to THAT!

somebody post a sample of that song...at least the solo section...what a nice fucking solo...Iron maiden NEVER played a solo like that!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh man, John has notcied the same thing as I have. Nu-metal has some killer drummers and bass players.
                    This is soooo true. They have awsome groove, tone and chops.
                    In the 80's lead guitar player and the singer was the band. No one noticed the rhythm section. But now when the singers are bad and the guitarists don't play a lot of technical riffs and solos, it leaves so much "free space" in the music so the bass players and drummers can show what they got.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Emmy ...I never met a Pesto that I liked..

I hate a whole bunch of it once though..maybe if it were made of weed instead of bazil...

Don't get me wrong...Bazil is good...but that is too damn much friggin' bazil.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Metal and Pasta...my two favorite things besides money and ...well...money. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW ..I feel better today Emmy...with the help of my favorite herb.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No not Bazil.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I know Max is the king of cookie, but I love the timbre of his voice. I saw that version of the band live five times and Max always impressed me. Picture him all dolled up in a nice suit, singing "La Vida Loca" at a wedding - I tell ya, he needs to be in my band. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Arch Enemy? Never heard 'em - you shoud hook me up with a mix cd of killer stuff that I've never heard...Dragon Humpers and all. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Endrik , Black metal and death drummers are the best in the biz..

Gene Hogaln , Pete Sandavol , Nick Barker , Richard Christy for example...wow those fuckers can play!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I haven't been impressed by any Nu metal bassist or drummer...none of them come close to my league..this is true....it's not that they are great...it's that there is nothing else going on...but a "groove".

Comment

What about the jazz drummers, Bill?

Virgil Donati and the like? I'd say he'd give Sandoval a good run for his money.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

i lived across the street from KORN before they were famous, and their drummer was the stuff, and that's it.
                              the rest was like what the fukk is going on here?
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Max isn't CM you musical homo's...

What he does is just classic death vocals... Definitely king of death vocals, at least among the living, haha...

Comment

Working...
                                X