Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things have been going good with my band...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things have been going good with my band...

... But something finally went wrong.

I had to miss practice today because the bandmates scheduled for about an hour before I get off work and it takes about 45 minutes to get to the practice space from work, but that's no biggy, I wasn't expected. Practice went okay, apparently, but the drummer just didn't seem to mentally "be there." After they finished up at about 5:30 (I hadn't even left work yet, had to work late) the other guitarist who also does vocals gets a call from the drummer while he was driving home, who informs him that he's leaving the band simply because of his personal interests. This is understandable since he is a rock drummer and he sort of ended up getting into the band because we needed a drummer, all the drummers we were finding sucked, and he was friends with the other guitarist. At the time his old band had just broken up, so he started filling in and was having a good time and then joined full-time. Well, recently he'd been trying to find a new project to do something more in his style (rock / folk) and the members of his old band are all moving back to the Seattle area so he decided he was going to part ways with us. I fully understand and support his decision, but it still kind of saddens me to see this happen since he was a great drummer and a great friend.

The part that sucks is that I really just was starting to believe that we were really getting tight as a band and finally being able to perform up to a level that I was very comfortable at. I know, you guys are probably getting a good chuckle, but we're finally performing material that we all enjoy and everyone in the band was on the same page. We finally had a bass player that was practicing a lot and contributing to a song-writing level and everyone's stage presence / movement was finally starting to get up to speed. Some of you may remember that I started that thread a month or so back about getting the vocalist who also played guitar to be a powerful frontman; well he started doing all the things that I suggested and also doing some other stuff and we were really starting to get a lot of positive comments about our performances. On top of that we had a small hype building up with each show we performed...

Now we are sort of set back and unable to do any further live shows. The search has already started and we've all mutually agreed that it'd be a good time to go into "writing mode" and see if we can come up with more material for the next album we're going to release.

Luckily, our old drummer said he'd fill in for the one show that we had scheduled, but I have to bow out of all the other show offers / shows in the works that we had on our plate.

I don't really know why I posted this.. Just kind of venting, I guess. Its stressful when someone that you've spent 3 years of your life jamming with bows out. What is more frustrating is that I really want to gig more, and unfortunately this is the only band I'm playing in that is regularly gigging out. I'm gonna call in and leave a message on my Bosses phone that I'll be in late to work. Time to go back to sleep for a couple hours. Cheers.

Re: Things have been going good with my band...

Me and my band have experienced that alot of since we first started. Finding good drummers is a pain in the arse. It will always happen, the best thing is to find some one who's just like you, that way you enjoy it much better and progress very well. My band right now is doing amazingly well after all the frigging line up changes and its finally working. So don't give up at all, you'll deffinatly find some one and be incredibly happy. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Yeah, that sucks. We are just getting over the same kind of thing. It's a set back for sure, but don't give up. Finding someone who is really into the music your doing will be better for you guys anyway. Hang in there. And good luck.

Comment

God knows how long I've been looking for a drummer! Ya find one, he just started learning and can't keep time for jack. All I can say it keep lookin, one in 30 ya might get someone really good

Comment

85% of drummers here are Travis-wannabe punkdrummers. 5% is 30+ and into pink floyd and indy rock, which I love as well, but that's not what I'd like to bring. Another 5% is too good to waste their talent on a rock/metal band, they're into jazz/fusion/prog stuff. That leaves 5% of drummers in our target area, and about 65% of those are acceptable I'd say. 65% out of 5%....
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

There is no double kickin' drummer around here that are worth a shit...

it makes me sad that I can't get my band off the ground....because we would crush all that is in cleveland if I could.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this bro. Just keep it together! I am sure you can find someone else!

Comment

I'm just glad, when we get our own rehearsal room.
                my drummer is a damn freak, but I love that guy.
                only thing that sucks is, we're living in that rehearsal room together with another band. we share some equipment, and every week we get back to rehearse something's broken on the drums and all amps are moved around the place, so the sound is completely different everytime we play.

not to mention it's a frickin cave we're living in. with rats, big as a chicken, garbage all around and some weird foreign guys sharing the building with us, who spend their day repainting cars and getting their numbers off. very suspect.

there will always be probs. but it always feels great, when you're thru!
                cheer up dude! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  85% of drummers here are Travis-wannabe punkdrummers. 5% is 30+ and into pink floyd and indy rock, which I love as well, but that's not what I'd like to bring. Another 5% is too good to waste their talent on a rock/metal band, they're into jazz/fusion/prog stuff. That leaves 5% of drummers in our target area, and about 65% of those are acceptable I'd say. 65% out of 5%....

[/ QUOTE ]

that reminds me of Anchorman - 60% of the time it works 100% of the time.
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

In my country, 70% or even more drummers are into double bass metal drumming, uhh god how they suck. They can't do nothing with their hands and can't keep the time and the groove. Then there are a lot of drummers who are into alt. rock, punk etc. Only a few very good pro drummers here, they are very solid players, well schooled, a lot of knowledge, good timing etc. but they aren't so extremely impressive.
                    But my good friend is the most badass drummer here. He is 21 years old, he hasn't got so much knowledge as the old pros, but he can kick all their asses BADLY.
                    He is BIG, and he is VERY STRONG but his hand movement is minimal, he mostly uses his wrists and most of the time he holds the sticks with his finger tips and the sides of his palms like some very soft jazz player but he hits HARDLY, If he would hit the drums like a normal rock drummer, he would destroy the drum heads and cymbals instantly. He has extremely well trained wrists. He is SOOOO FUCKING FAAAST. I can say his style is mix of heavy rock and fusion, he hits hardly like Tommy Aldridge or Cozy Powell but has monster chops like Vinnie Colaiuta. He is influenced mostly by Dave Weckl, Ian Paice and Mike Portnoy and does sound like them. But he is also very versatile, he can play jazz, fusion, latin, jungle, african beats, rock, metal, prog, electronical music beats (drum'n'bass etc.) I mean everything. He is played with orchestras, soft rock bands, polka bands, ska/alt rock band, heavy rock and prog bands etc. But he loves blues the most.
                    He never lays back, he always shows his chops, even when playing some polka/ska shit. But he also never overplays. He can play paradidels extremely well, I think he can keep up with the world's best at that.
                    It is fantastic to play with him, he can read your mind and plays like you want him to play or you give him a little hint and he sounds EXACTLTY like your ideas in your head.
                    This dude is super talented, once he played with my guitar and tried to tap for first time in his life, and he sounded lika a fucking EVH, it took me weeks to learn how to tap.
                    And we got extremely similar tastes in music, we both love 80's type mleodic rock (Van Halen, Extreme, Mr. Big), fusion (chick corea etc.) prog etc.
                    If you find a guy like that who is talented, has a similar taste in music and a good friend then you should never loose contact with him. Good drummers are life savers.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Endrik will you PLEASE send some of those no talented double kicking hacks my way..PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John and I have been in dire need for one of those Jerry's kids for YEARS..

This ain't no ac/dc / polka band motherfuckers.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

OK [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There was a very talented dobule bass player here, played in death metal bands, was very young and super fast with his legs and hands. Did some top notch blast beats. But I think he got bored of it and went to music school, now he plays mostly jazz, r'n'b and sometimes rock. You see, metal wasn't challanging to him, but he can still play that stuff very well if he wants to.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I want him...send him to me..

I need him...tell him I love him...tell him I'll be his daddy...I'll take him fucking fishing...play putt putt...go for ice cream...whatever..

just get over here and play GODAMMIT!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you serious about that Bill, you need cover all his expenses. But he would be an extremely good death metal drummer. I think he has to finish his music school then maybe I can contact with him.
                            But I wouldn't recommend any black metal drummersfor you , this is hilarious how the play, all the cymbals and hi-hat are very loose on the stands and they hit them as hard as they can but they fondle the drums like their baby's butt. Very nice noise [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

There is ONE awesome black / death metal drummer in cleveland...and he know I want him...we may hook up...hopefully

He is Chris from a band called Souless used to be in Decrepit...we were talking of getting together...but he is content with his band and they are somewhat established..so I don't think he's going anywhere..you always see soulless on those tribute cds on that Dwell records label..like Sabbath and Iron Maiden tributes..Soulless is oK..he's the biggest talent in that band.

It's hard to find drummers like that around here...it really is..especially with ..Meter...

seems like they either have "chops" or meter"...never both..

a drummer with meter ...now is that too much to ask...I guess it is.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My music is NOT death / black metal exclusively but there is those elements and flavors in it...for dymamics and "power" sake...too much bash beatin' even gives me a headache.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X