awesome Jeff Loomis interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: awesome Jeff Loomis interview

Thanks for this, indeed was a great interview. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I also remember the legendary Becker interview from the same website, they sure are doing something different than all the others out there and avoid being monotonous.

He is definitely one of my favorite guitarists, if not the one. The solo in Engines of Hate just takes me to another level of consciousness. He is really influential too. I remember Mike from Opeth raving about him in the official forum. Just listen to Mike's solo in Grand Conjuration. Screams pure Loomis...

Comment

see dude WE are exactly on the same page in this opinion...

I was lucky and honored to become friends with Jeff and crew...whenever they come to town...I'm hangin' on their bus after the show...Jeff gave me his phone number and I burned some rare music for him that I know he'd love..

Loomis is my biggest inspiration...I had to drive his woman to her place to pick up her video camera she forgot to bring to the show..I never did get a copy of that tape!

One of his most favorite bands of all time is Candlemass...I was hanging with him at the first BW & BK show...he was screaming like a school girl right in my ear huggin me and stuf...he such a great dude and the best player in the biz IMO

Once Jeff was showing me the bus they were sharing with Arch Enemy...so Jeff takes me to the back of the bus and his says..we have to draw straws to get this room...it had a door on it,,,privacy...so not think anyone was in there Jeff opened the door to show me...and there was Jonah Liva getting a beeg....what made it so funny was that Liva sounded just like he does on the records..he bellowed , "Hey what the fuck man!!!"..

Then Warrel comes in and walks up to me and states.."hey man do you know where I can get some good amercan blow to share with my AE buds"...Jeff laughed ...Warrel looked confused and said ..what?...I gave jeff my wallet..and Jeff showed Warrel my badge...he looks at me with this silly ass look and says..."wow , why are you on my bus"..I told him I was a guest in his bus and I didn't care what he did...we talked for quite some time and realy clicked..Tim Calvert freaked out over my badge...and I been a Forbidden fan forever so I gave the badge to him...man he was so floored...he gave me his number and we did talk a few times....he had to get a real job to pay bills ...he flew for continental airlines...that dude was so cool..he realy was blown away when I gave him that...Tim really hung with Jeff head to head when he was with Nevernore...I mean his solos shined as much as Jeff's....he was that good!

It's a shame he had to give it up...I would love to see Tim back in there again...but I doubt it..even Forbidden would be cool..anything , that guy is great!

I saw Chris Broderick of Jag Panzer play with them as a rythm player...and he's a monster lead player...but he just did rythms that night ...it was tight as hell too..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Chris Broderick , funny you bring him up.Known him for years.Back in the early 90's he was in a friends band.Wouldnt stop calling me to sell me strap locks,lol.His bass player used to joke that he was going to tie Chris up to the back of his truck and drive to wyoming to make him lose the weight.He was fat back then.He saved my neck one night when we played a gig together and my head blew.He leant me his entire rig for the show.He used to have a douible neck and would do the stanley jordon thing on it all the time.One time i ran into him at a 7-11 and he said he had my Joey Tafolla tape.I had leant it to another friend, who leant it to him.Like i said , he was fat, but ive seen him recently and the dude looked like Lou Ferigno.I hardly reconized him.He is a killer guitarist and im glad to see him still making a go at it with some success.

Comment

I remeber talking with Harry Conklin the singer right when they got Chris...and Harry was kinda bummed about it...I asked how's the new guitarist...Harry said he's pretty good but he's no Joey Taffola...

the nest year I saw Chris play and was just smoked...I went to Harry and said ...well it looks like Chris is doing a hell of a job and did he get better...I asked hin if he still missed Joey...he said...hell No Chris is a monster...

and Chris keeps getting better evertime i see them...he's an amazing guiatris..

I talked to Chris at the BW & BK show this year and asked him how he liked playing with Nevermore...he told me he loved it and had nothing but great things to say about jeff and the band...I asked him why he didn't take any solo...he was very hunble and said that's Jeff's music and his job..he was just helping out some metal freinds when they needed a second guiatrist...and that he was a fan of Jeff's..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Loomis freaking rules man, the new song is just vicious some of the heaviest riffs they have done. I liked the interview and he gets big bonus points from me for his words about Jason Becker, who to me is my biggest guitar hero. Not a big fan of Annihilator is he? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Well, he probably thought Jeff Waters claiming to be the fastest picker was hubris, and he said they treated Nevermore bad on tour... as good a reason as any to not like them, I reckon...
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Jeff Waters is really fast and articulate...I wouldn't say he's the fastest plyers..

but he is definitely one of the hardest , heavy handed players I ever saw...when he plays his veins in his forehead looks like they are going to burst...he plays very hard and agressive..

I love Jeff Waters...not his tone lately...fuzzy pod tone..

But Loomis wipes the floor with that dude...Jeff can wipe the floor with any player imo..

everything I have been writing in my off time is completely Nevermore / Loomis inspired...I love his palm muting and he has so much command and feel when he plays....he crushed me whenver I go see him..but that is a good thing...because he makes me want to be a better player..

Loomis is to me now what EVH was to me back when I first started playin'..

Comment

as good as Jeff Waters may be...Jeff would eat him for lunch! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

It being a Metal Sludge interview, you know Jeff had to come up with some smack to feed the sharks! He picked someone who was maybe a bit too confident and cooled his jets a bit.
                  It's not like anyone is calling Loomis out for a head cutting contest. Loomis himself said in the interview that there's always someone faster and better than you; in other words it's kind of stupid to declare yourself the top axeslinger. You'll notice that Jeff gives himself due credit as being talented, but he's not rattling off the list of guys he can smoke, which is a long list. He lets the rest of us do that for him!
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yer Right man....Jeff is so fuckin' humble ..he doesn't think he's all that...he's confident.

I asked him some years ago..."Dude how does it feel to be the best fucking metal guitarist ...and very few even know who you are.."..

he looked at me like I was crazy...He said he doesn't look at it that way...he gets somethin' in his head and just ...quote.."I just go for it"..that was his reply " I just go for it"...that's it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

He is so NOT cocky...Alexi "Laiho the A-ho" ( i just coined that!) sure was ...when I was talking to him...then Jeff walked outside to the bus and saw me and screams ..."THE LAW"...so I immediately bailed on Laiho cold and hung with my dude that served that lil' fucker...laiho is a great player though...he's NO fucking Loomis...that's for sure! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh sh!t!!They did a tour with Death in 1995!!I did not know it!!It had to be the best show of the world!!Fu*k I missed it!!

Comment

Don't feel bad ..I missed it too.

I learned of them about a year later..

Comment

Yeah,me too iirc.First time I heard NM has been in a VVAA cd that came with a metal magazine,it was Sanity Assassin, and I was really impressed about their sound,I still did not know Sanctuary.

Comment

Yeah I learned about Sanctuary AFTER Nevermore.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

well about the same time...being credited ex Sancuary members..

but I heard Nevermore first...and one of my very favorite live tunes they do on occassion is "Battle Angels..and yes Warrel still hits the high notes .. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              Loomis freaking rules man, the new song is just vicious some of the heaviest riffs they have done. I liked the interview and he gets big bonus points from me for his words about Jason Becker, who to me is my biggest guitar hero. Not a big fan of Annihilator is he? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Well, he probably thought Jeff Waters claiming to be the fastest picker was hubris, and he said they treated Nevermore bad on tour... as good a reason as any to not like them, I reckon...

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I think another reason is that Curran Murphy's in Annihilator now, and they don't really care for him too much. Fuel to the fire.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Yeah I learned about Sanctuary AFTER Nevermore.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

well about the same time...being credited ex Sancuary members..

but I heard Nevermore first...and one of my very favorite live tunes they do on occassion is "Battle Angels..and yes Warrel still hits the high notes .. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have footage of Loomis with Sanctuary prior to the break-up. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                                X