guitars & insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: guitars & insurance

If it's a collectible like a painting from an established artist (i.e. Van Gogh, Renoir, etc) the cost of the insurance is rightfully going to reflect the income level it takes to own that.
    By the same token, if you spend $100,000 in one year on guitars and want them insured, you're usually going to be charged like you have $100,000 to "throw away" (i.e. not dedicated to utilities, food, and other household necessities), though it sounds like Brad got a helluva deal.

However, to ask for insurance on guitars that will be toured with is, IMO, ludicrous. Given the undisbutable facts of how many guitars were lost, stolen, broken, etc while used on tour, an insurance company would be committing financial suicide to insure touring gear. On top of that, the Privacy Laws make it easier to scam the insurance company by hiding it at a friend's house and filing a claim.
    The insurance investigator can't search your friend's house to see if you're scamming them.
    Though they can still hire P.I.s to follow you around.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

To you, maybe, to me, it made logical sense. I don't have NEAR the collection that a lot of the jcfer's have. I do however have over 10 grand, under 28 grand in musical gear. It depends on if you go cash, or list price. I've got a piece of paper with my Serials, and makes/models/et cetera, and pictures of ALL my guitars/amps/pedals/everything insuraned. My local music stores, if asked, would tell the insurance company my belongings are worth list price, so I would be covered to that degree.

I don't think in the slightest bit, that insuring my guitars, outside the home is not in my opinion ludicrous.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have at least a 30 thousand dollar metal collection...if that goes bye bye...it's gone...it won't be covered..

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, you can rip all your stuff onto CDs and I'll store your backups here on the west coast for free [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You pay shipping [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Newc I have friends who had all of their equipment except a guitar or two stolen, and a second time all of their new equipment was stolen along with their van and trailer. The second time, insurance thru their record label saved their asses. When you're in a touring band that isn't making a lot of money, insurance on your gear doesn't seem that ludicrous.

Comment

"Bill, you can rip all your stuff onto CDs and I'll store your backups here on the west coast for free
            You pay shipping "

OK Ron , as soon as John puts another burner in this thing...this one skips..like a broken record....so that's not good. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X