Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Army\'s new recruit

[ QUOTE ]
    All of the uniformed services are very hard pressed for recruits now.

For the first time in like 10 years, the Marine Corps did not meet its mission of raw applicants and shippers to Boot Camp.

Recruiters have a tough life, and can be ruined easily if numbers are not produced. It's not a nice world to live in.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I try to keep them in the Marine Corps, again, not an easy task and my numbers are way down from several years ago. Fortunately, my Career isn't in jeopardy YET with our numbers.

IMO, and former Army members, don't take this the wrong way and I'm by no means slamming you or your service, but the Army isn't trained for this kind of warfare. The Army is huge, slow, and lumbering until it gets in place, then it's devastating with its power. Until that happens, the soldiers take the brunt of the blows. The Army is designed, equipped, and manned for large scale sustained land combat, not street-to-street urban warfare, convoy ops, or insurgency.

Collectively, as a whole, the DOD is having to totally re-write our doctrines and warfare procedures in this conflict. To make matters worse, it's on 2 different fronts, Iraq and Afghanistan, totally different situations and geography.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understandable what a recruiter does. There are quotas to meet. I was just taken aback by the way things unfolded at my house. Totally unexpected. My 22 yo son was expected and was going thru the motions, which I supported. If my other son chooses to do the same, then I too, would support that. I'm just worried that the youngest is doing it, because he may have been pulled in by my other son, may have been pulled in by the recruiter, who job was to work with my 22 yo, or he just 'wants to get out of the house'. I don't think he totally understand the ramifications of what he's doing, but then again, who does?

I'm sure if they both choose to do it, I'll understand, but I want to make sure it's for the right reason and not a whim of the moment.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

> If that is what they truly wants to do,they'll do it period,hopefully they will do it the smart way. My dad enlisted in the Marines before getting drafted,and went in as a helo mechanic,was in Vietnam for 2 years and never fired a single shot in self defense. In my mind,that is one of the smartest things I've ever heard. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. Tell them to start reading everything they can on CQB tactics,weaponry,and start running. A friend told me he was really glad he took my advice and got into shape before boot camp,first thing they did was a 6 mile run in full gear. Hope it all works out,and if they do go to the sandpit,they stay safe and have an ACOG on top of their M-16/M4. Tommy D.
      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        > If that is what they truly wants to do,they'll do it period,hopefully they will do it the smart way. My dad enlisted in the Marines before getting drafted,and went in as a helo mechanic,was in Vietnam for 2 years and never fired a single shot in self defense. In my mind,that is one of the smartest things I've ever heard. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. Tell them to start reading everything they can on CQB tactics,weaponry,and start running. A friend told me he was really glad he took my advice and got into shape before boot camp,first thing they did was a 6 mile run in full gear. Hope it all works out,and if they do go to the sandpit,they stay safe and have an ACOG on top of their M-16/M4. Tommy D

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Tommy, they both leave today to go to Ft Dix for a ASVAB, physical. They'll be there over-night, so I won't see them til tomorrow. I told them to take a couple of days before they sign, to think about it. (don't think they'll listen, but, I didn't either).

Well, I'll know more tomorrow.

Comment

> Ft. Dix? Is that anywhere near Ft. Nutz? LOL,Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

bless them man..

stay smart , stay safe and come home when their service is completed..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks
              Tonight, I have 40 people coming to the house tonight for a going away party. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] He leaves for boot camp Thursday. First stop Ft Benning, GA, then Ft. Gordon for school and FT. Lewis, WA afterwards.
              My other son is not going now, but still in his plans also.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of people tonight. Wife is terrific at organizing huge parties and cookouts. I have two more days with my son before he becomes independent. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]This shit happened way too fast. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Ft. Benning will welcome them with the same open arms and love it greeted me with. Hope he has some good lungs, the air their is thick as hell. If it effects him, it will take about 3-4 weeks to adapt to the air. Some people are not bothered by this, but, it did me. If he needs a pen pal to write him to help him out and whatnot, I will be more than happy to help.-Lou
                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Thanks Lou

Great going away party last night. I also found out instead of leaving Thursday, he's leaving today (Wed), instead. So I said my goodbyes this morning. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

He'll be ok. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You're all in my thoughts bro...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      You're all in my thoughts bro...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X