No announcement yet.

CD release show tonight - wish me luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CD release show tonight - wish me luck!

In my experience, there are only a handful of bands that I would consider good. As far as the younger twin cities hardcore and metal scene around here, it is full of one band. Actually, there are many "bands" but they look the same, sound the same, and all have the same inside jokes and fads. It is full of kids who could care less about anyone but themselves. I am not sure about the older generations of metallers around here, but I would advise you to not waste your time listening to the typical three word named hc bands that come from here because when you have heard one, you have heard them all.

I have found that when you branch from the twin cities hardcore scene, you get some bands with seasoned metallers who know what they are doing. I would honestly like to see more of that. Maybe something similar to the florida metal scence of the 80's. I am not sure if that is because I like the music, but it seemed to me those dudes knew what they were doing and why they wanted to do it.... to be metal! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

p.s. this may sound like a rant, but the next time I see some teenager wearing cut up diesel jeans and a martyr ad shirt who is doing some stupid hardcore dance, I will get sick.... Go buy an RR-1 and listen to Death!
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

You're right to rant, because a lot of the bands in town are practically clones of one another. About the best of the local hardcore bands was Nehemiah, who we knew personally and played our first show with. Unfortunately, every other local hardcore band sounded patterned after Nehemiah. On one hand, they offered some good At the Gates-style playing, but how many bands can you handle playing the SAME thing? And while I understand that a band can't exactly pick its audience or dictate fan behavior, the kung fu stupidity was reason enough for me to quit checking out hardcore bands.

So, taking hardcore bands out of the equation, you are left with a ton of "modern metal" bands, a few grindcore and brutal death metal bands (our drummer plays in a technical grind band called Vulnerata, playing with Malevolent Creation and Origin on Monday night), and a few melodic death/thrash bands like what we had last night. The Twin Cities are saturated with metal bands to suit almost any taste, which is great I guess, but there are getting to be fewer and fewer venues catering to that crowd. The Minneapolis smoking ban hurt business, the Urban Wildlife sold off its live music side, and the Star Central is doing the same.

Great music scene overall, but too many bands trying to play in too few clubs...badly, in most cases.
      sigpic

Comment

hey, at least there is a metal scene there now. when I lived there in the mid 90s, if you didnt sound and look like soul asylum, you werent "hip" There was alot of good clubs to play in there, we were more funk/metal than metal. Fine line, cabooze, mirage, 400, I dont know if those are still around anymore. Personally, I loved minneapolis. If it wasn't so fucking cold there, I might still live there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Working...
        X