Academic/non academic ways to become a guitar tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academic/non academic ways to become a guitar tech

Well right now I'm studying management with Operations management at Heriot Watt university in Edinburgh. My mom just told me that she thought it wasn't for me and that I needed some manual since I was always touching my guitar and doing things to it... And well I've been playing for 6 months now but I just love the instruments, I'm buying another one in a few minutes (leaving to get it right after I post this, I'll post pics of it whenever I can). A lot of people probably will say 'wow that's soon for another guitar' and to a certain extent I agree, the only thing I can do very good is pinch harmonics :smack: Don't ask me to play the major scale at anything faster than 70 bpms, I don't know many solos... well I'm quite your typical-never-had-lessons beginners. But I just love the instruments... And I was thinking, eh maybe my mom is right ya know... If I could stop studying management and move on to guitars. Unfortunately here in Europe a beater guitar is at least 200 euros (The Charvel 1a I'm getting is this price and that's the reason I'm getting it: cheap great guitar) and money is an issue.
    What's a good thing to start with? I have both of Dan Erlewine's books, I already did some adjustements on the model 4 and I'm about to learn how to take care of a maple fretboard too.
    Suggest anything that'd help reach that goal I guess, if you heard of ways... I already fear I decided to pickup the instrument way too late [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Academic/non academic ways to become a guitar tech

....? Noone can help?

Comment

Re: Academic/non academic ways to become a guitar

I'll tell ya man, DON'T rely on being a guitar tech to pay bills. Do it on the side, there are hundreds of books on how to do it, and if you want to be certified, luither courses can be completed (not Master, keep in mind) in a reasonably short period of time. If you do want to buy another guitar, buy the biggest piece of beat up crap you can find and start restoring it. Take it apart, and put it back together, and get to know the ins and outs of the instrument. I have a few friends who are guitar tech's, and now they are going back to school to do something else also. It's a great hobby, you can make some nice money on the side, but at most that's drinking $, not living $, and that's even depends on how much ya drink [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I'll tell ya man, DON'T rely on being a guitar tech to pay bills. Do it on the side, there are hundreds of books on how to do it, and if you want to be certified, luither courses can be completed (not Master, keep in mind) in a reasonably short period of time. If you do want to buy another guitar, buy the biggest piece of beat up crap you can find and start restoring it. Take it apart, and put it back together, and get to know the ins and outs of the instrument. I have a few friends who are guitar tech's, and now they are going back to school to do something else also. It's a great hobby, you can make some nice money on the side, but at most that's drinking $, not living $, and that's even depends on how much ya drink [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
        Occupy JCF

Comment

I don't want to make a living out of it. Just get the skills necessary for a job on the side, help friends (though I already do that), maybe do some more pro work or work at a music shop during my studies time... But I won't quit my studies for it.
          I don't drink haha! All the money would go to guitars. The guitar tech here charges 30 euros for putting strings on, intonating, adjusting the neck and a basic cleaning. Hell, I can do that perfectly well myself, the only difference is that I can't charge. And whether the money is good or not, I love doing the thing.

Comment

the only thing i usually pay my luthier to do is adjusting the intonation on my floyds. i cannot stand doing that crap

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              And I was thinking, eh maybe my mom is right ya know... If I could stop studying management and move on to guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, cool. Ya scared the shit outta me (I was scared for you, see how much we care [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) when I saw that. But that's cool man, just buy a beater and fuck the hell out of it, then try n fix it. Plus if ya know what your doing, and more so if your confident in your skills, you can charge people for your services. If your not sure you can do it and you screw up a dude's Les Paul, well then, nice knowing ya, lol.

Comment

Oooops I guess I did write that... Worst is I didn't really mean it... Damn that could be a message, shit. Let me go edit that :P There's no way I'd quite now I guess. My bad on this, you're right.

Comment

Working...
                X