Moving to Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Atlanta

Hey bros, the wife and I are selling our (now overpriced) little townhouse in Northern VA, taking the money, and moving to Atlanta to get a nice, big house for a smaller payment. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    We're looking to be down there by the beginning of September; a little North of Atlanta, probably Woodstock. I haven't noticed a lot of JCFers from GA, maybe anyone from there can chime in with info about good local guitar shops, what the band scene is like (i.e. do people want to hear originals or covers, etc.), or just say hi! Any input is appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Re: Moving to Atlanta

My mom just sold her overpriced townhome in Springfield and is moving down here within the next month or so. I can't tell you much about Atlanta (only been there twice) but I can say for certainty that getting the heck out of Northern Virginia is a good move. I left over 8 years ago to move to WA and now I'm in NC - the only thing I miss about NoVA was being 20-25 minutes from Chuck Levin's.

Good luck with the move. If you make it through Raleigh - drop me a line.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

It's all about Atlanta.
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Hotlanta rocks...
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

gotta love that atlanta traffic. oh, buy a good a/c.

Comment

Talk to our very own Admin Ralph .. He is from NJ and decided to do exactly that move to the Atlanta area.. He loves it down there..
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Talk to diablomozart and charveljunkie as well. They're both from the Atlanta area and playing together in the band Devane. Speaking of that, how's that going? Anyone heard about new material from them since charveljunkie joined up?
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                gotta love that atlanta traffic. oh, buy a good a/c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't be any worse than DC traffic -lol.

Comment

The wife's aunt and uncle live in Stone Mountain, I dont think anyone actually lives in Atlanta. If I had to move out of Texas that is where I would end up. That area of Georgia is very nice and you really can get a very nice home for a reasonable price. There is alot to do in that part of Georgia so you should be entertained for some time.

Comment

actually i am in marietta and charvel junkie is in acworth...the bass player is in woodstock...lol...

ok...as far as band scene...there are clubs here that play originals...and some that play covers...but it's hard to get people out to see originals here...esp. rock...it is more of a rap/r&b town regardless of what you may have heard...quite a few musicians...but drummers seem to be the hardest thing to find down here...

yes...the traffic is horrible down here...but the area you are talking about is nice...

we havent written anything new yet...second cd was almost complete before junkie joined the group...and we've been struggling to find the right drummer while we all get our personal lives together at the same time...

tune in next week for more news...same bat time...same bat channel...lol...d.m.
                    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get back in a band in about 1-2 years (I have a new baby). I would like it to be 80s metal covers, something like jgcable and sambencuda are doing. It seems like there is a big music scene down there but it does look to be more rap/r&b. We'll see what happens! What about good shops to check out?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Talk to our very own Admin Ralph .. He is from NJ and decided to do exactly that move to the Atlanta area.. He loves it down there..

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I did the same thing back in '98... though, I lived in a little town called Locust Grove which is about a half-hour south of Atlanta. I planned on staying a year or two, but it wound up only being 2.5 months and then I moved back to NJ. Shit is slow down there! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My wife (now ex) and I moved down there and lived with our best friends who bought a house there and still live there. It is nice, but it was just not our thing.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey guys, I made the move and am in GA now. I got a new computer and am back online, I sure did miss the JCF for the last month! I definitely want to check out some local stores, so any info is appreciated. So far, I've found Jennings Music and Ken Stanton but they seem to focus on starter stuff for kids. What shops have the good stuff?

Comment

guitar center, galaxy music in stone mountain, dirt cheep music...best source for cool gear tho is usually pawn shops...d.m.
                            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Hey DM, is there a website for your band Devane? I'd like to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X