Computer help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help please

I have Microsoft XP, and we have our own settings for each of us. Well, my "side" is working fine. On James' side...if he tries to open IE, it opens the window, then closes it right back out. I'm sure it's a simple stupid setting somewhere, but I can't figure it out. WTF?? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Computer help please

I'm just laughing at the thought of some Microsoft programmer evilly inserting a hidden little setting that closes IE as soon as it's opened. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you were a clueless computer-unsavvy pinhead like myself, I'd panic and immediately think it's spyware/viruses/trojans or other internet dickcheese, and proceed with my huge scanning ritual across multiple pieces of free protection software. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But what do I know? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Clueless,
    Number Of The Paranoid [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ok, already passed that phase and ran the virus/spyware stuff.

Comment

And...? Results? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

guitarsjb, try this:

Click Start
          Click Run
          type: iexplore -nohome
          hit enter

let me know what happens
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

if that doesn't help, do this:

Click Start
            Click Run
            type: inetcpl.cpl
            hit enter

this will bring up the Internet options dialog...

Click Advanced
            scroll down the list until you see the option "Enable third-party browser extensions"
            uncheck that option

now try and run IE as I mentioned in the previous post

- Newc

Comment

Tim,
              I don't know what I did or why (just followed your instructions) and it works fine now. Thank you kind sir. I had to do the 2nd idea, then the first one. All is better now. Thanks a bunch.
              Jeri

Comment

See, I know nothing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Go get Mozilla Firefox. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Number Of The Preacher [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, so what that is telling me is that you have some sort of third-party plugin that is crashing the browser at start up. It must be really fucking up too because you would normally get the "your program crashed, would you like to tell Microsoft" dialog - if you're not getting that then something has corrupted the exception handling in the process.

In any case, you have a bad browser helper object installed.

So to look at those (assuming you are somewhat up to date with Windows Update), fire up IE and then:

Click the Tools menu
                  select "Manage Add-ons..."

I can't remember what release we added that feature in but it's been around a while so you should have it.

- Newc

Comment

Ok, I found that place and it scared me..seriously, what am I looking for?? Which is the culprit?? Man, you are being so great about this. I owe you some serious beers..or pops or whatevers...

Comment

Well, my rule of thumb is if I don't know what it is then I don't let it run. So the things to look for in your case are the ones that are "Browser Helper Objects" (look in the "Type" column).

How much crap do you have in that list anyhow?

- Newc

Comment

Also note that there are two lists - things that are actively running and things that have run. I suggest you look at both lists.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                        X