WTF is wrong with drummers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is wrong with drummers.

WE just got a new drummer today. He is our 4th in less than a year. This is ridiculous. We were going to go to the studio on Monday the 8th of august. But now we're going to have to postpone until christmas. I swear...we're turning into spinal tap literally.

First REAL drummer we had was my friend, he was kind of a flake..but very passionate on the drums he was bi-polar and had some social problems...but he was always there for us when we did a show or whatever. Great guy...

He died in January (fell off a fire escape).

Next drummer was a friend of my brother's and a co-worker of his. COMPLETE FLAKE...he'd just not show up...we played 2 shows with him, he's a dipshit and I do not like him...for some reason though, he has my goddamn Dimmu Borgir hoodie. That ass pirate. I more or less fired his ass after the 2nd show. He was very talented though..for a lazy asshole.

3rd drummer was really great...seemed to have his head on his shoulders...practiced outside of rehearsals...had an awesome double bass technique. Things were great. Then suddenly this week he stopped showing up for rehearsal...suddenly he has "personal" issues. Most likely involving his upcoming marriage. He wouldn't go into it..but he sounded stressed out. eh...whatever.

So here we are...we have a show a week from friday and a new drummer that has to learn about an hour and a half worth of music.

Re: WTF is wrong with drummers.

Same problem here (with drummers) we decided to do a mp3 backing track instead. Its just slowing us down waiting for a drummer.

Comment

Damn Drip, I feel for you there. I'm having the same issues not only with drummers but musicians in general. Everyone is a flake, I chalk it up to
      coloradoyeahhi'llbetherebutireallydon'twannabebuti 'mtooscaredtotellyouflakeitis
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I have had no problems with drummers, it's singers that have been the curse for me.....just the usual singer shit really, but still a pain in the ass.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I'm a drummer myself. Back in my old school, EVERYONE played drums and it was impossible finding a bassist (I knew 2 in a 400 students school) or a singer, or even a decent guitarist. And I've never quit or been fired from a band.

Comment

:deja-vu:
            Hehe, there's currently a nearly identical thread going on a swedih forum about what the hell is wrong with drummers (right down to the Spinal Tap references)! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Deja vu man. I Posted the exact same thing a couple of months ago. Our current drummer is getting the boot tomorrow, and we are getting one of our old drummers back. He was a cokehead, but supposedly has his act together, so we're gonna give him another shot.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have had problems with drummers in the past too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    He was a cokehead, but supposedly has his act together, so we're gonna give him another shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

your gonna do what ?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

They HIT stuff with STICKS for a living/hobby.............EOD.

[img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear of your troubles......better luck in the future!!
                      Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                      Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

They HIT stuff with STICKS for a living/hobby.............EOD.

[img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                        Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                        Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

There are two kinds of rock drummers.

- The neat freak anal retentive Neal Peart drummers who are tempermental about gigs (too often, not enough, etc...). These drummers often complain about the material not being challenging enough and threaten to quite if the band doesn't learn YYZ

- The rock-n-roll party animal, stripper girlfriend, drug fiend drummer. These drummers are the best to write with. They are very creative and usually have the best chops (usually better than the Neal Peart wanna be). Things will go great for a while, then he will have a fight with his stripper girlfriend and his whole world will go to shit. He'll miss practice because he doesn't have a ride (his stripper girlfriend took the car). Then at the next gig, he'll be so f'd up that he plays everything either too slow or too fast. When he gets sober he'll apologize and the cycle will start over again. If he's around long enough you start to manage gigs around his "cycles" of ups and downs.

This is just from my observations of course, but every drummer I have been associated with fits pretty much into one of these catagories.

I didn't include drummers who have been playing a month but lie about it just to get chance to try out. I once had to explain to a drummer the concept of starting out a song by banging his sticks together at the appropriate tempo so we could all come in together. "Do you mean we all start playing on 4 or do I count to 4 and actually start on 5" [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Actual mileage may vary [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I once had to explain to a drummer the concept of starting out a song by banging his sticks together at the appropriate tempo so we could all come in together

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you bring this up. I played with several drummer who clicked their sticks at about 180 BPMv to start us off, when the song is only at 120 BPM. That always pissed me off. He would then start the song somewhere close to 120 bpm but we were all guessing at exactly what speed he was actually going to play, so the first 5 seconds of the song sounded like recorded skipping [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

My other favorite stupid drummer trick is the worthless sound check. Every f**king drummer insists on micing their entire kit. I tell them play them like you do live !!! Then 30 minutes of setting drum levels and getting a good mix. Great !!! Nope, two songs into it, the drummer get hyped ( or pissed ) about something and starts beating the holy sh*t out of his drums and blowing the FOH mix up and killing the stage levels.

Damn drummers......................

Comment

The rock-n-roll party animal, stripper girlfriend, drug fiend drummer

I love that line. My new sig. Also I fall under this catergory of drummers. been playing drums for 18 years
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                              X