WTF is wrong with drummers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WTF is wrong with drummers.

Here in boise drummers and smack go together like peas and carrots. There are some exceptions, but when I started playing around town i sure did meet a lot of junkie drummers.

What do you call a drummer with no girlfriend?

Homeless.

Comment

Excellent DRS, and I meant it all as a compliment [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One of the best drummers I ever played with (yes, he had a stripper girlfriend) only wanted me in his mix. We had jammed so much with just the two of us that all we really needed to hear was each other. We would run a line level signal of my guitar to a 60 watt combo amp that he would set up behind his kit. He would make the level whatever it needed to be by adjusting the volume of the amp. He usually played loud enough that I could always hear him. Plus we like a lot of drums in the mix so the kick drum was usually thumping the stage.

This was also the same guy how took a hit of acid before a gig one night [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Let me offer a possible angle that may help avoid problems with live drummers.

1. Make the drummer feel like they are an equally important part of the group.

2. Prepare a spot that will give the drummer a solo. This will also provide motivation to aspire to "something".

No one wants to be sitting in the back shining someones else shoes to make them look good.

Comment

Tim - LMFAO!!!!
          I was gonna post that 880 pic, then I scrolled down and you beat me to it...

TFF....
          [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

i like to think i'm a hard dedicated worker with at least enough talent/patience/and open-ness to suggestions to not take away from our band... but seeing how i'm the only drummer I know and Division is the only real band i've played with (and they've went through about 665 drummers till i got here), we'll let the other's decide that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

my hardest challenge is finding time to practice outside of rehearsal - i've had to get very creative. even though - the first thing Matt told me was that "even if all you can do is listen to the songs on cd, it's better than nothing". I learned my audition songs during my 60-minute commute to work, tapping on my steering wheel, since my drums were out of state!

anyway, until these bills disappear, i'm going to have to keep my 2 jobs and my 2-year commute. Makes learning the execution of creative and unnatural ideas hard to do... but i think i have the right attitude to keep trying. that's the first thing i'd look for in an audition.
            www.WarCurse.com

Comment

I once worked with a drummer who spontaneously broke into a song at a gig (Zep's "Rock'n'Roll") that we had never rehearsed and which none of the rest of us knew well enough to play--which was really bad for me, since that was while I was briefly attempting to be a singer! Attempting to sing songs where you don't know all the lyrics--try that one sometime. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. I found only 1 relatively dependable drummer in 3 years and he only wants to do older covers for the most part, no originals!

My original band has gone through 4 in a year and I think we maight have someone now who is gonna maybe stay.

I figured out a long time ago that drummers tend to be more crazy than the next guy on average and if I find someone who is not a total @ss, I try to hang on as long as possible!

My first drummer by in HS was totally off his tits crazy. Some of the things he did are were so weird that you could not make them up (for example, he had an issue with having too many posessions - he had 3 pairs of jeans, 7 shirts 2 pairs of sneakers, a radio, and cassete tapes plus his drums a few misl personal things like a toothbrush but that was it - at xmas he used to burn (in the fireplace) or throwout (I remember being outside his window to catch the trash bag so his folks would not see!) most everything he got - this was just the tip of the iceburg so to speak). Great guy (we still keep in touch), but makes our own Atomic Tommy look the picture of clarity and composure!

I am glad I am not the only one who has noticed this phenomenum.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Here are the 3 types of drummers I have come across:

1. The simpleton: Always has a simple beat and a lot of the times that is perfect. Never to flashy which is good in a way but sometimes is afraid to try anything technical which might have made for something better. Usually has a good meter.

2. The Perfectionist. Every hit is usually always the same every time and never "misses a beat" Usually a good meter but can come along with a big ego.

3. The Fuk-Wad: Has a roll every 4th count and is never the same thing twice cause he has so much shit in there he has no chance of actually remembering what he did the last time. It can sometimes make for some great free-for-all jam sessions, but can also make for some fuked up shit on a recording. Usually has a bad meter.

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

3. The Fuk-Wad: Has a roll every 4th count and is never the same thing twice cause he has so much shit in there he has no chance of actually remembering what he did the last time. It can sometimes make for some great free-for-all jam sessions, but can also make for some fuked up shit on a recording. Usually has a bad meter.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my friend John! He plays drums, and somedays, he's Ron Pordney or whatever, then other days, he's animal on weed.

bahahaha, It's so funny that drummers suck all the way around the country.

Comment

played with the new drummer today....

he sure is enthusiastic. but ugh...we have to re-train him so he doesn't try throwing in these gay Hardcore "breakdowns" everytime we change riffs. It's fucking annoying. It's going to be a long week.

needless to say....anybody got any suggestions for drum software? Is that "Drumkit from Hell" worth my while? I have an alesis drum machine adn I can't figure that thign out for shit. It's worthless. I think I'll sell it actually. I think something on the computer would work alot better for me..since I'm a geek.

Comment

My drummer breathes fire. And he's my best friend. I couldn't be happier with him.

Comment

My drummer was fast as shit...but sloppy as shit when I realized he couldn't play to a click to save his life..

that hack! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X