The 'I'm not worthy' moments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'I'm not worthy' moments...

Well today I was playing some guitar and drums as usual and I just thought... Damn I've been playing guitar for 6 months and I can't play the major scale properly, nor could I play the Nothing Else Matters solo well... I have 2 guitars for the sake of customizing them, a POD for the sake of finding my tone (which I haven't [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) and I'm already thinking about a new amp. But I just feel I'm totally not worthy of being a gear whore yet. Anyhoo it's just one these moments when I'm just like 'damn I suck' and wish I was more academical, or that my family had some musicians who could teach me, or simply that I could get a teacher... Ah well.
    Ever happened to you?

Re: The \'I\'m not worthy\' moments...

At some point, you have to decide whether you're going to be a musician or a guitar hobbyist. Anyone can be a guitar hobbyist. Message boards are full of them, and there's nothing wrong with being one, but why not put in the effort and become a musician? It can be very rewarding! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

you started gassing too soon. The moment I started getting GAS, I lost all my motivation to play. GAS sucks. I practiced alot when I just had a guitar and a shitty amp, but as soon as I started buying more gear I lost it.

Comment

Yup. I've spent more time lately buying and building mutts than actually playing anything, but I keep listening to the stuff I've done so far and say to myself that I need to re-do this one or that one to fix this or that or add that or this and change so-and-so.
        Been saying that for 2 years now and haven't really done anything about it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I can find no reason why not to have the best possible instrument you can afford. And that includes all it's accessories... amp included. Who gives a fuck how great you can play? That is relative. If you love your instrument and want to learn to play it well, you will invest time in learning and understanding music (whether that be with a teacher or through learning materials). At least, one would hope. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          A purty fiddle and a badass amp can sure be inspiring to play admirably.
          Goodluck & Rock On. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

-Em

Comment

Bullshit, fuck that.

I thought I was unworthy, until someone came to buy my SL2. He brought his own ENGL, and he couldn't play all too well, they (he had brought friends) asked me to play for a while, and they were 'blown away' and asked what time I was playing, and I said 1.5 yrs and they were like 'wow blablablabla'.

Point being, you can't suck as bas as me, so what you do is find someone who's a bit worse than yourself and play in front of him. Always helps to have the worshipping, beginning guitarplaying buddy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Look at me, I can´t play worth Fuck, have way too much kit, and I even have a CD coming up.. it has nothing to do with being able to play or not [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

More important that anything else is: do you love what you´re doing and enjoy spending /wasting time and money doing it.. if the answer is no (as in most of my relationshiops so far), then stop... If it´s yes: well, you have to decide how happy you wanna be [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah...there is some night when I think I'm on fire...like Loomis or somethin'..

just to go listen to him and get my balls blown off with both barrels.. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

when I watch that fuckker...he makes me feel like I can't play...like a Jerry's kid on guitar.

I used to have buds like that around here ...that is why I was always the bassist...and I got good on bass..real good...

because my guitar buds were kickin' my ass...but I caught up...finally took me years...and I'm still striving...never lost that hunger!!

but now they are more my peers...they still kick my butt on occassions but I hold my own..and I know...I just know that once in a while I'm kickin' theirs.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

keep the fire goin' and keep shreddin'...you'll always get better...and age is not a factor...I'm 41 and I will always get better as long as I'm still breathing..

I heard tapes of me just a few years ago...and can see the difference..

keep at it..you're "not worthy" moments will become less and less...until you watch guys like loomis..

and hang around and jam with players you think are better than yourself...I learned a lot from John and I think maybe he may have learned a little from me in the process..in style and writing anyway..he's a bit more "firey and agressive" now...so maybe..

I would still love to do that band with him...I'd do it today!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I heard tapes of me just a few years ago...and can see the difference..

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you take a lot of acid before you "saw" your music? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Or are you just gifted like that?

Anyways, the whole point is that you've gotta start somewhere. Sure, I guess I play pretty well now, but it's taken me 13 years of playing to reach this point. When I started playing guitar I sucked just as bad as anyone else who first picks the thing up. And I'm sure Steve Vai felt like a tool when he started playing. Everyone goes through that phase. With time and practice, you'll become a better player and those moments will get fewer... JUST KEEP ROCKIN!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

IMHO the question is: do you want to learn an instrument to be able to play it correctly or because you feel the need to express yourself?

I found out that the guitar is the only way to express some of my feelings to a certain degree, so playing it is def. more important than talking 'bout equipment for me, or owning equipment. Nevertheless it's great fun to talk to other players, talk about this amp and that axe and buy and select your favourite stuff.

Comment

I know how you feel. I feel that way now. I can't really play anymore like I used to, and I'm buying a custom shop guitar? I mean my gear collection isn't near what most have on this board but I struggled with justifying buying a 2000+ instrument when I can't play like I once could. In the end it was two things that made me go forward. The first is that I simply love guitars. Not just to look at like some people (and I think really there is nothing wrong with that, guitars are works of art too) I love to play them. For me its relaxation. I do want to get better, once I move and get settled I am gonna take some intermediate lessons and try and get myself back to where I was. Written lessons and such don't work for me, I'm very much a visual learner. I'll never be as good as alot of the people here on the board but you look at some guitarists who play in bands that have record deals and I don't feel so bad about it.

But to be honest I'm glad I didn't go to NAMM this year because I think I would have felt kinda lame next to some of the guys that did go and probably could play circles around me.

Comment

I like nice gear and all...but I rarely talk about it ...

I talk about music mostly , and about my PP and stuff...important things.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          At some point, you have to decide whether you're going to be a musician or a guitar hobbyist. Anyone can be a guitar hobbyist. Message boards are full of them, and there's nothing wrong with being one, but why not put in the effort and become a musician? It can be very rewarding! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said... there are many more hobbyist's and gear whore's who "think" they are musicians than actual musicians. You have been playing for 6 months? Let me set you straight bro. I played a $69.00 Sears Silvertone that came with a crummy SS 10w amp for almost 2 years. The action was so high I used to crazy glue the cuts on ny fingers so that I could keep on playing. I bought an MXR Distortion + and I used to play it through my home stereo. I thought that was GODLY tone. I practiced every day until I got good. After 2 years I graduated to a beat to shit Guild 300D which at the time was around $150.00. I worked for 2 entire summers to save up the money for it. I played that one until the frets wore out. Bottom line... if you want to get good stop shopping and start practicing. I am certainly in the minority when I say that guitarists need to take their shit seriously. Why half ass your guitar playing. After only 6 months you really shouldn't be very good. Most guitar players suck until they have been practicing hard for a few years. There are always better guitarists out there. Heck, that is how it goes for everything. It is good to have goals as a guiarist but have realistic goals. I have been shredding for almost 30 years and I still practice for at least an hour every single day. Some days I will play for 6-7 hours on and off. I am constantly learning and trying to get better. I know that I will never be the best guitarist on the planet. Technically, nobody is. We all have our special unique styles that set us apart from the other players. That is the stuff you have to remember when you play. One other thing. Buying gear will not make you a better player. Once you get good you should reward yourself with new gear. After all these years of playing, sometimes I buy gear just to keep the spark alive. Its kind of like when you buy a new car even though your old car is perfectly fine. There is nothing better than pulling up to your driveway in your new car that begs you to drive it all the time. Same thing with music gear.

Comment

Hehe I'm only 19, too young to know the car analogy but I do see what you mean. I love guitars for what they are though. To me the amps, pickups, pedals... It's just for the tone. But the guitar, it's wood you know... It's something that used to be alive and there's so much you need to know to 'read' the wood, just as there's much to do to repair the frets, electronics, paint. I have no jobs (and unfortunately I can't really get one, I tried for years now...) and I can't afford the tech. All the gear is to learn how to 'read' guitars and repair them myself. I believe I'm doing quite ok with this already but don't we all want more? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's my main problem, I'm way too impatient. I play an hour a day but I can barely ever play more than that, without a teacher I just don't know what the next step always is, so I do the same things allover, scales, chords, some songs or solos sometimes.

Comment

I've been through that many a time and so has every guitarist, ever.

When i listen to Rusty Cooley or Jason Becker or Alexi Laiho, i think, damn, i still suck so much arse. For me, that is what keeps me going, that's what fuels me to keep on playing and to keep on improving.

Now and again i get people telling me that i'm amazing etc etc, which gives me a bit of a boost. But even then, i still strive to be better, i want to be as good or even better than the players that i admire.

But overall, i enjoy it. I enjoy learning new techniques, theory, improving on melody and i enjoy playing in my band to a crowd. To see people going crazy to my music.

So what i'd say to you, is play for yourself and enjoy it. You have the opportunity to play guitar so grab it while you can.
                              93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
                              X