Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The \'I\'m not worthy\' moments...

[ QUOTE ]
    After all these years of playing, sometimes I buy gear just to keep the spark alive.

[/ QUOTE ]
    +1
    Its important to note that I have been playing on and off for 14 years or more. I have 4 guitars which seems like alot to non guitarists but over 14 years 4 guitars is not many at all. And this custom shop will be my first non import (aside from the warmoth). I don't necessarily think you need to be trying to be an expert to be worthy of buying a guitar now and again. I may take periods off from guitar but its never something I completely drop, so this dream guitar for me is exactly that, the realization of a 5 year dream. Even once I get it, I'll always play it. Its in my blood. I think any guitarist regardless of skill level can make a legitimate argument for getting a more expensive guitar but what I don't understand is people who buy guitars and don't play..at all. I see them as art but they are instruments first, made to be played. As long as you are fulfilling the guitars purpose, you are doing it right in my opinion.

Comment

I seriously think that too much importance is put on gear... Oh it is important but actually playing time is more important (and fun)
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

it's funny, but I learned basic guitar chords at age 12, but my hands weren't really big enough then to really get going on it. plus I only had an acoustic, and a shitty one at that. so I only played sporadically until college, when I got to play my frat brother's Tele, and that was it, I took off. that was 22 years ago.

I played for about 4-5 years seriously after that, but then engagement, marriage, moving, kids, etc kinda got in the way. I have played here and there since that time but nothing much, and mostly acoustic stuff.

now at 40 I have pulled out the guitars again and really found my groove after what really is a longass layoff. I am really enjoying playing again and am making strides like never before. I'm playing some shit I never thought I'd play and figuring out all kinds of Jimmy Page stuff on the acoustic. funny how it seems just now was the right time for me to really take off again. I'm playing better than I have ever played and my understanding of it all is a lot better too (knowing the fretboard, ability to hear and understand chords and notes, fingering ability, etc).

I should have never stopped, but what the fuck, right?? LOL
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I agree with John. When I started 16 years ago I had a peice of shit Montoya strat copy and a peice of shit Quantum 15w amp. I played that for about 2 years before getting a better guitar.

While there's nothing wrong with having a good guitar and amp to begin with I know for a fact that too many options too early will hinder your growth. Let me repeat that... too many options too early will hinder your growth.

Worry about playing and practicing for now. You have forever to obsess over gear.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Worry about playing and practicing for now. You have forever to obsess over gear.

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1
            I didn't get more than one guitar until I had been playing almost 8 years! I had the acoustic I first learned on and a my first electric which was some horrid piece of shit strat thing with a built in amp called the Terminator. It wasn't until about 2 years after using that piece of junk that I bought my Jackson, and I used that for almost 6 more years before I got my other guitars. There is no rush when you are just starting out, and you won't start to lose interest for a long time so there is really no reason to go and buy alot of new gear. In fact I think if your gear sucks it makes you better. Cause when you finally get a decent guitar you realize how much easier it is.

Comment

I'm with you brother. I never had more than one guitar until a little over a year ago. Now I have 2!!! I just got my first really nice amp a few months ago. I just couldn't justify spending the money until recently.

Comment

Working...
              X