Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check out Eric Johnson live video here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out Eric Johnson live video here...

http://www.1077thebone.com/

Different tone than I've heard him use before (cleaner for the most part except for 12-12 vibe) but still awesome.

Pete

Re: Check out Eric Johnson live video here...

you can hear the 'pluck' from the plectrum more.. it seems his gain sound has a little mix of a clean behind it. Quite nice, I really dig his voicings and harmonic stuff. His playing is very sharp (in smartness and excecution) like he takes it in stages. He almost seems stiff but it comes across as very musical, no slack or slop. Thanks for posting those.

Comment

Hey, I just noticed something--that guy's pretty damned good! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, though his overdriven tone is definitely 'fuzzier' than before, just as it is on the new album. I tend to prefer the sharper-edged tone he was using before.

Comment

It does sound fuzzier. I wonder if it is the recording or if he limited his set up given the type of venue. I saw him a few months back and I noticed he changed is set up, but it didn't sound as fuzzy as this. He is a great player.

Comment

Trademark was the first clip I listened to where he has like a compressed clean on top the fuzz, but the rest of his stuff on these clips he has a very fuzzed 60-70's tone.

Seems he was having problems with the monitors. I would not want to mix that guy. Cool to see an Ampeg porta-flex being used for this.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Watching the video now... as a huge EJ fan I find it pretty disappointing, from the weak fuzzed out tone to the uninspiring performance. I've seen him live 6-7 times or so and each time was way better than that vid!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Watching the video now... as a huge EJ fan I find it pretty disappointing, from the weak fuzzed out tone to the uninspiring performance. I've seen him live 6-7 times or so and each time was way better than that vid!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree- those videos don't do him justice at all. I couldn't stand the buzzy tone he was getting and he seemed like he was nervous or something. On the plus side, it does give someone who has only listened to him before the chance to see what he is actually playing- he's insane. You need to see the one of his Austin City Limits shows from the 80s to really know what he can do.

Comment

It looks like he was just playing through one amp too... every time I've seen him live he had quite a collection of amps. I saw him in the late 80s with a dumble, two marshalls, and two fender combos plus that pedalboard from hell. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pete

Comment

I don't know what you guys are talking about, that was great. Very inspiring. You can really hear his "fingers" when he's playing if that makes sense. He's a great player.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I don't know what you guys are talking about, that was great. Very inspiring. You can really hear his "fingers" when he's playing if that makes sense. He's a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's an awesome player, that just wasn't one of his better performances (in my opinion). This is a quick video, but gives you a better idea of what I'm talking about:

Eric Johnson Live

Comment

he kicked my ass when he first came ...during that time he did Austin City limits..around '91 or so..

he has seemed to lost that "fire" that once kicked my ass..

therefore my ass wasn't kicked watching this...I don't know what it is ..his tone , his playing and or writing but it isn't excitig to me anymore..

The first two times I saw eric play...my balls were in my socks..

then I saw him a couple years ago and couldn't believe it was the same dude...it was just so laxed and boring and LAME compared what he used to do..IMO

Austin City limits was his peak in my opinion..it was one of the most amazing displays of speed , feel and articulation..

but lately...I'm VERY bored with him!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

He's definitely mellowed out.

The guitar on "High Landrons" from Ah Via Musicom is still some of my all-time favorite guitar playing--an insane combination of Hendrix and John McLaughlin.

Comment

I saw him back in January at a small club in Dallas... he killed. I think most of the problem with this video is that Eric is highly affected by his tone - and I did NOT see his monster rig there. I'm guessing the radio station threw a lot of $ at him to play, and he did it... but wasn't able to bring his entire rig there. For cryin' out loud, the man can hear the difference in battery brands and he's playing through a totally different setup than he usually does.

I'm still a fan, but agree this wasn't him at his best.

Pete

Comment

Yeah, it looked like he was having problems with his sound, since he kept motioning to someone off camera.

His performance on the G3 DVD is much better.

But, he was still great in this. I was impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X