• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where everybody knows your name...

Tavern Shepherd made famous is all about the region

BY MARK KIESLING
    Times Columnist

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 12:34 AM CDT

Within the last 10 days, I have been in the two most famous bars in America.

While on vacation in Boston, we stopped in for dinner at Cheers, the bar across from the city's Public Garden made famous by the TV show of the same name.

On Monday, after learning that Jean Shepherd is to be inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in November, I celebrated by heading to Flick's Tap, the watering hole made famous in Shepherd's written and broadcast accounts of growing up in fictional Hohman, Ind. -- a mighty thin disguise for Hammond.

Shepherd, whose radio programs from New York City were wildly popular in the 1950s and 1960s, wrote and narrated the consummate celluloid Christmas celebration, "A Christmas Story," in 1983.

In the book on which the film was based -- "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" -- Shepherd reminisces about his youth in Hohman on a return visit home during a give-and-take with childhood friend Flick, now the proprietor of Flick's Tap in the old neighborhood.

The two trade yarns, Flick in awe of life in New York, Shepherd's narrator charmingly condescending toward his old stomping grounds with its used car lots, bowling alleys and corner candy stores.

But while Hohman is semi-fictional, Flick's is not.

It existed when Shepherd grew up at 2907 Cleveland St. in Hammond's Hessville neighborhood, the son of Jean and Anne Shepherd, and it exists today, although at a different location (the original was on the northeast corner of 165th Street and Kennedy Avenue).

The "new" Flick's has been at 6205 Kennedy Ave. for more than a quarter of a century.

I'm guessing Jean Shepherd never visited it. I met him only once, in 1984 at a reading of his works at the Lake County Public Library in Munster, and even at that time he seemed more than a little condescending toward the Calumet Region whose stories -- told largely unabridged -- had brought him fame.

I think in retrospect he was somewhat angry with his home area for not giving him the respect he found on the East Coast and later on the West Coast, but that's a little surprising given his portrayal of the majority of locals as lunch bucket-toting wage slaves of the steel mills and oil refineries.

I mean, what did he want from these people? They respected hard work with hands and back, not sitting in front of a microphone on WOR radio from, of all places, New York City. It was a picture just a little too hoity-toity, thanks, for the region working man and Shepherd recognized this in "In God We Trust" where Flick endures stories of the Big Apple just long enough to be able to inject the latest news from Hohman's bowling alleys.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Cheers and Flick's are America's two most famous taverns, at least from the 20th Century. Name me another.

Cheers was, of course, mass marketed and has its own cute gift shop both at its original Beacon Street location and at its namesake in the city's trendy Quincy Market area.

Flick's remains a cult favorite, more of a place where everyone really does know your name. It's out of the way for a visitor to Chicago, who will almost certainly need a Sherpa guide to find it, or at least MapQuest.

"It's a corner bar, a friendly bar," said bartender Janie Nagy, who has worked here for six or seven years. "I love it here. The owner (Martha Convery) is just like family to me. She's had the bar for 18, 19 years and never changed the name. I guess it's good for business, you know?"

The people in the bar today -- I missed 50-cent draft Tuesday by a day -- talk about the things that would have fit right in with Shepherd's reminisces.

It's about tires and gas mileage, getting a job after being laid off, region stuff. No one's worried about cloning dogs or Supreme Court nominees. The closest it gets to national issues is a discussion of Peter Jennings' death.

"He didn't have a college degree, you know," an older man remarks.

Janie says she didn't know much about Shepherd before starting her job, but has learned. "Yes, this is the place," she says when asked if this is the Flick's Tap of the Shepherd broadcasts and novels. "People ask me stuff I don't know," she confides. "But I've learned a lot since I've been here."

Unlike Cheers, which has a big gift store attached and is marketing-friendly, Flick's is what it is, and is what it was: A neighborhood bar. It's a cult destination, and Janie has become familiar with the crowd that stops in to visit.

"We don't get a lot, but we've had more in the past few weeks," she said, adding a large party recently stopped in to celebrate with a lengthy stay at Shepherd's legendary bar.

She could have worked at any one of more than a dozen bars that line this strip of Kennedy Avenue, but she works at Flick's. Does she like the extra attention?

"Of course," she said. "Who wouldn't?"
    Occupy JCF

Re: Where everybody knows your name...

Interesting read,Tekky.Thanks for sharing...........
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I've never been to Flick's Tap (though I did grow up in the area and could take anyone there, guess I could be the sherpa), nor have I been to the Bull and Finch (the Cheers that the author is talking about), but I have been to a few bars where "everyone knew my name".

The very first bar like that was the "Backdoor Lounge" in Griffith, IN. I was barely 21 and my mother was the manager of the bar. I would go in once or twice a week.

Then there was Angelo's Sicilian Cart in Merrillville, IN. This is the place where I spent most of my early 20s. I had friends who would play there. My best friend at the time and I would always go there. He'd call me at my 2nd job and say, "what time are you picking me up to go to Ange-Ho's." We'd sit there and drink like the next day was prohibition. We'd close the bar. Many times the owner just said, "take the damn drinks and get out of here so I can go home."

For a while I moved to the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, I didn't have any friends out there and I just stuck to myself mostly. It wasn't until about 2000 when I moved to Chicago until I found another neighborhood bar. I'd go into Wrigleyville North probably 3-4 times out of the week. I'd go in, order a beer and sit at the bar reading. I got to know the owner and one of the bartenders. (which I dated for a little bit)

When the bartender left the bar, I stopped going there. I wanted a place to hang out, a place to read a book, watch a hockey game, or watch da Bears get their butts beat. Then I stumbled upon my current hangout, The Dark Horse Tap and Grille. This was my kind of place. 90% of the time as soon as I walk in the joint, the bartender is pouring my Guinness. (it doesn't happen if they're training a new bartender) I know the owner, and I know a couple of the bartenders and the main waitress. It gets a little loud from the music, but that's OK...

So, where are your favorite hangouts???
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Side note... Jean Shepherd wrote the book "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" (as noted in the article) which was the basis for the Christmas classic, A Christmas Story. Jean is also the narrator in the movie.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

"cheers" one of the top 3 sitcoms of all time [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
          Amp... Pioneer
          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Side note... Jean Shepherd wrote the book "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" (as noted in the article) which was the basis for the Christmas classic, A Christmas Story. Jean is also the narrator in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this brings back lots of memories. I read his books before the movie came out. Funny stuff. Thanks Tekky
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Jean and I were born in the same town. I have recently read all of his books. He's a great humorist. Too bad PBS won't release the rest of his movies.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

probably my favorite holiday movie ..
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  So, where are your favorite hangouts???

[/ QUOTE ]

mine used to be the raw bar, down a few doors from the metro. the first time i went there was with derek frigo and another friend who was underage, but thankfully they didn't card him. there was tons of hot women everywhere, and i was sold on the place.

they played good music, the bartenders were always friendly, toni, the owner was a great guy, as was his brother who was one of the chefs there. oh, and their house shot was also a nice mixture of sweet-tarts and crack. the food there was also really good, and it became a regular place for me to go whenever i would go into the city.

turned out that it was also a favorite place of a really good friend, so we'd go there many, many times. sadly, they started playing really bad music (ricky 'effing martin?!?!) and we stopped going, but for many years, it was a great hangout and always a cool place to bring new people to.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Along that strip, I have been to Fuel (now The Full Shilling), the Ginger Man, Casey Moran's (the bar that opened at the location of the BBQ joint we all tried to get J into), and Yak-Zies, but never Raw Bar. Which is kinda surprising to me due to how close I live to there.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

yeah, i went to fuel when it was real new, and it was cool inside, but pretty dead. what's the name of the sports bar on the corner, south from the raw bar? there's an outside patio and an atm in the wall on clark? is that yak-zies? we used to call that the date rape bar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, that's Yak-Zies. The original one is on Diversey. And yeah, that place is pretty much a meat market for sleazoids.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                        X